Savoia Marchetti S55X (round two a never ending story)

Started by bweaver, October 18, 2019, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Thank you Simon ( @sihinch )

We know what we can do with blue foam. 

If you can build an fly a beautiful Space Shuttle out of blue foam, then I .... 

It's just fun to experiment.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on July 04, 2020, 04:54:06 PM
Thank you Simon ( @sihinch )

We know what we can do with blue foam.

If you can build an fly a beautiful Space Shuttle out of blue foam, then I .... 

It's just fun to experiment.

Hi @sihinch

Just to be clear, the foam is used in the airplane, NOT to enhance the photos of @bweaver .  I never retouch perfection, physically or otherwise.   8)

Andy

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

I am bound and determined to maiden the plane this week finished or not.

I had trouble cutting the cables for the elevator and rudder pushrods. I finally went to my second source of reference for advice after Frank (YouTube) and found that a hammer and old set of wire cutters will do the trick.  Just like a guillotine going through butter... (photo 1) 

I had to make some brackets to hold the pushrod cables with the sheath in place along the booms.  This was accomplished by obtaining very thin aluminum sheet.  I cut it with what used to be a good pair of scissors.  I drilled a large hole for the cable sheath to pass through and the smaller holes are for the epoxy to oooooz through and stay in place on the booms.

The last few photos depict how I am making the servo and receiver compartments water resistant.   A piece of Depron was shaped to fit tightly into the openings.  Then a piece of white trim sheeting was applied over top.  A couple of black trim bits was added, then tape.  If it leaks, it leaks.

The battery compartments need to be finished and hook and loop installed to retain them in place. 

The model with batteries weighs just under 6 pounds.

I think I will maiden it without the cockpit canopy and motor enclosures installed.  The canopy, because I am making a new one.  The motor enclosure, because it is not finished yet, plus I want to see how warm the ESCs will get. 

I can use 3 or 4 cells for power.  I can use regular or 3 bladed props.  I have yet to decide which to use to maiden the mode at this point.

sihinch

This just keeps on getting better and better. Bravo Bruce.

Andy Hoffer

Looking great @bweaver

Re cutting the cables, did you try a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut-off wheel?

Looking forward to your maiden flight.

Andy

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on July 27, 2020, 08:18:12 PM
Looking great @bweaver

Re cutting the cables, did you try a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut-off wheel?

Looking forward to your maiden flight.

Andy

Thank you Simon.  Thank you Andy.

The problem I have with cutting stranded cables is the fray. I did try the Dremel and it just didn't give me a clean cut.  I tried applying solder to the cables before using the Dremel too and it wasn't much better.  That is why I put the hammer/brick/plier wire cutter method to use and provided the tip on the forum to help others avoid the fray too.  The hammer, the pliers and brick were not worse for the wear...

bweaver

@Frank v B Please refer to the screen capture below.

There are few things I find more exciting and enjoyable than having my morning coffee and seeing that I have a TEMAC Forum email notification, indicating that Frank v B has posted a reply on my forum topic. (Oh what words will Frank provide to encourage and motivate?)  ???

After clicking the link, my excitement turned to disappointment. :( :(  Frank, your reply was gone.  :( It was not there.  Nothing was there, other than my post preceding this one.   :'( :'( :'(

Now, all I can do is guess what words of wisdom/advice you had intended to provide and then revoked?

I can only think of a few and make by best guess at replying.

"Yes Frank, I had turned on the Dremel." 
"Yes Frank, I was using the proper Dremel cutting tool and not a wet noodle."
"Yes Frank, I did try using just the handles on the cutting pliers, but I am not as strong as I used to be."
"Yes Frank, you can borrow my brick and cutting pliers any time."
"Yes Frank, it is blue foam and I expect it to float."
"Yes Frank, I made it, so yes, I expect it to leak."
"Yes Frank, it is getting closer to the end of the never ending story"

Andy Hoffer

Hi @bweaver ,

I was similarly disappointed that @Frank v B 's posted reply had vanished.  I was so salivating when I got the email notification. 
But I think you have conjured up a superb set of anticipatory responsa that should fully tax his cerebral CPU for a good week or so.

Bravo Sir! I salute you. 8)

Andy

Frank v B

Bruce and Andy,

"I know Nothing!"

Frank

ps: Truer words were never spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblPucwN-m0
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Thanks to everyone that attended the model's maiden flight today as part of the Scugog Float Flyers. 

The flying conditions were perfect for the maiden.  Low onshore light breeze.

The model took off and flew great with some down trim required and a click or two of aileron adjustment.  Once trimmed it flew hands off at about half throttle.

Many thanks Rob P for the assistance with the trimming and for his verbal guidance while managing the first flight.  I used the 3 cell batteries for this first flight test.  Seemed fine. Lots of power.

It was my fault on landing.  I stalled it by failing to keep the power up.  It tip stalled and plunged straight down from probably 20 feet into the water and popped back up like a life boat hitting the water and popping to the surface after ejecting from the side of an off shore oil rig.

The electronic waterproofing did its job because even after the motors and ESCs got soaked, I was able to power it up and return the model to shore.  The only damage to the model was some fiberglass came loose off of one of the ailerons bottoms.  The dangling fiberglass was trimmed off and the model was good to go for its next flight.  I love blue foam.  Solid!

The next flight, I used 4 cell batteries.  It took off with more authority and flew uneventfully, finishing with in my opinion a much better landing.  Not great, but I can work on that with more throttle management. 

Anyways thanks to everyone for your support during this build.  The final construction and decoration will be documented in this post.

It would be nice if some of the people that were there today who took some pictures will post them.

bweaver

Oscar

I am very fortunate to witness the maiden flight.  The plane flew beautifully.  The build is very detail and to scale.  Very well done Bruce

bweaver

Quote from: Oscar on July 31, 2020, 10:12:57 PM
I am very fortunate to witness the maiden flight.  The plane flew beautifully.  The build is very detail and to scale.  Very well done Bruce

Thanks @Oscar for your photos and kind words. 

Adding the chines back to the hulls really made a difference in returning its replica appearance so that I can happily say with some confidence that it is a 'stand off scale' model of the original aircraft. (Standing way off improves the scale appearance significantly while understanding that the real aircraft wasn't made of blue foam.) 

Your cheque is in the mail... ;)

Andy Hoffer

@bweaver ,

Congratulations on a fantastic work of art and engineering.  She truly is a beauty! You have really outdone yourself. 

It's a real treat for all of us to see something that is unique and beautiful, and which has been lovingly crafted by one of our own.  Nothing out of a box can match it.  Thank you for giving us a huge dose of inspiration.  Personally, you have inspired me to get my Pitts repaired and back in the sky.  Thanks so much.

Bravo Sir!

Andy