Savoia Marchetti S55X (round two a never ending story)

Started by bweaver, October 18, 2019, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Right on... All of their hand and Dremel tools/accessories are fantastic for when creativity flows or you want to grind something down fast!

(Having seen others personal messages at the end of there posts, I have been motivated to add my own personal saying at the end of my posts. See below.

"When you don't have skill, you can try luck and/or experimentation. One should work, provided you try long enough." (A genuine Bruce Weaverism)

bweaver

The following pictures depict my blue foam chine installation and hull shaping enhancement/experimentation.

I have 3 more hull sides and fronts to go. Then fiberglass the alterations as well.

Frank v B

So an old dog can learn new tricks.

You will probably be referring to them as "Frank's (expletive) corners". ;) from now on.

Sorry chief.  ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on May 20, 2020, 03:20:02 PM
So an old dog can learn new tricks.

You will probably be referring to them as "Frank's (expletive) corners". ;) from now on.

Sorry chief.  ;D

Frank

First, I have updated the title of this topic by adding to it '...a never ending story'.

@Frank v B , please you needn't say 'sorry' for your thoughtful observations and comments about the missing chines. 

For those who may be interested/care,  when I start a topic in TEMAC's forum, I feel it is never too late to make recommendations or comment on the subject matter I have provided, because the information can always be taken FWIW.  This time I took it, and I love the improvements I am slowly making to the model. It's a great hobby isn't it?

I have to say thank you again Frank, because what you brought to my attention about the hull shapes was what I needed to have to be brought to my attention. In my mind at the time, I new something just didn't look right each time I looked at my model.  The foam model's shape just didn't have the appeal I had experienced while building my first model of the aircraft.

The photos below illustrate the changes made so far to one of the hulls. I'll get around soon to making similar improvements to the other hull.

Trust me, I am definitely striving to have this model get into the air and fly.  Really, it will be sooner than later. (Rationale for why I have modified the topic title.)

It will fly... even if I have to rely on @Andy Hoffer assistance to have evidence of it in the air.    :) :) :) :)

Frank v B

Bruce,

Thank you for the thank you.

We all have experiences (mistakes we learned from?) in our past that can apply to stuff we see and do today.  No different than your suggestion of a smoke alarm in Vadim's workshop.  That was probably from some experience in your past*.  We can all contribute in some way.    .... and then there is Andy.  Some day we will figure out what he.... ;) ;)

...and almost 3400 hits on this topic.  We at least find your wanderings entertaining. 8)

Frank

* career fireman and 10 years in the Fire Marshall's office. 8)
Bruce knows his limitations so well he has a full fledged fire sprinkler system in his basement... or maybe because he knew that some day I was going to be doing some plumbing work in his house. ;D ;D

bweaver

Still plodding away...

Back to using a beer-can approach to making portions of the pylon motors enclosure.

I reviewed a number of historical videos and took some screen shots to help me in this endeavor.

I cut the beer-can using my Dremel, safety glasses and a pair of scissors.  The vertical vents will be made by using a rounded chisel to make the holes in the can and then bend the vent metal back to replicate the original venting.

I am still not satisfied with the cockpit canopy.  I have put it on another diet. (see last photo)  I may toss it out and try doing something else to make a more realistic representation of the canaopy.

@davidk has agreed to come over next week to assist when I paint the plane. 

The maiden is getting closer.

bweaver

Refer to previous post above. Screen shots.

bweaver

Semi gloss white applied today.

Tomorrow, semi gloss black and semi gloss hunter green.

octagon

Absolutely Brilliant Bruce. I can't wait to see it fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Go Bruce!!

Keep telling Katie you are working on your insulation project.

Interesting to note in the 3 view:
- the under-cambered wing.  The under-cambering starts aft of the balance point.  It must act as wash-in at the back end.
- I calculated the positive incidence* of the motors at +10 degrees.  I would never have guessed.

Frank

* yes, I got the protractor out.

bweaver

@Frank v B , I am glad you never would have guessed, because the drawing illustrates an under-cambered wing.   The construction plans for both of my projects didn't have any under-camber built in.  Go figure. 

When I built it, I didn't even get my protractor out.  I just built each motor's platform aligned in the same incidence as that shown on the plans. 

I assume you are saying that the rear under portion of the wing will be washed by the water as it crests above the water.  (And it's not even dirty.)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bweaver

Too humid today to do two different colors.  Only got the hull bottoms done in green (for those who may be blue green color blind).
(I didn't turn it over yet to see a proper side view, but... if you look closely, you can see the chines.)

:)

Andy Hoffer

She is truly beautiful @bweaver .  I am looking forward to a portrait session of you and your Marchetti.  Both you and the plane have exquisite lines, form and stage presence. (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7272.msg50687.html#msg506878)

Andy

bweaver

Thanks Rob ( @octagon ) and @Andy Hoffer  for your encouragement.

Now for some Dollar Store paint tricks.

sihinch