Frank- trying to make an 80 year-old retired pilot smile- a 50" span Tiger Moth

Started by Frank v B, October 25, 2019, 09:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on June 19, 2020, 09:08:40 AM
Bravo @Frank v B !!  Looks amazing in the air.  ;D
Tiger Moth is one of my all-time favourite.
Glad to read that you had it all under skillful control at all times, even during the rocket -assisted takeoff.  ;)
Guy

Absolutely!   And @Frank v B 's cross-wind landings are the finest anywhere!  8)
Andy

Frank v B

Guy,

Thanks for the kind words.  So Andy caught me landing the Tiger Moth doing a curtsey at the end.  It is my Australian landing.  My specialty.

I sent a note to Roger of John's Hobbies last night under the heading "Tiger Moth, Success!!  Mission accomplished." His reply arrived today:

THAT, My good man is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Love it!1

I am also glad that you hired a professional model to pose appropriately with the aircraft.
No sense wasting digital memory space for photos to a rank amateur.

Bravo!

And thank you and everyone else involved for the effort to have that aircraft see the skies for Ray.

Regards,

Roger
www.johnshobbies.ca
416-421-1850

It was all worth it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bfeist

I just read this thread from beginning to end. Great job @Frank v B. I hope Ray gets a chance to see it flying at TEMAC soon.

Ben

Andy Hoffer

Ever searching for new ways to see first hand exactly what makes @Frank v B the way he is, I decided to pay a visit to one of his favourite formerly Hoffer-free sanctuaries, John's Hobbies in Toronto.   It was amazing how receptive everyone there was to the idea of pulling Frank's tow rope.  Roger and Heidi were gracious hosts and provided great insights into the 50-year history of this wonderful store and the people who work there.  We spent considerable time debating who had the greatest impact on Frank's psyche, John's Hobbies, as an unending source of temptation, or myself, in giving the man no peace nor place to hide.  We then moved on quickly to problem solving - where to send Frank for help in exorcising his demons!

A great time was had by all.  And we have to thank Frank for this wonderful vignette of entertainment in our lives!   :D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on June 16, 2020, 11:06:55 PM
Final preparations:
The power package is a Turnigy 3548 800 kv, a 40 amp ESC,. 4 cell 2200 mah, 13 x 7 wood prop.
The readings are 30 amps, 430 watts. (post-Hoffer correction.  The 330 watts was on 3 cell...too marginal)
Frank

Soooo, it was 4 cells as I suspected @Frank v B ...
Guy

Frank v B

Guy,

Thank you @GuyOReilly.
Sorry I could not remember it.  I blame it on the world-wide memory chip shortage.... and that I am just plain getting old.  ;)
At least give me credit for a complete build thread. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"