Question about FPV in TEMAC

Started by zhurui45, October 27, 2019, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhurui45

I have read the article at the top and I am not sure is my understanding correct?

once I got my ham licence I can fly Fpv plane in TEMAC

I can only fly when no other plane is flying

I can only fly within the range of the filed

sihinch

You need a ham license above 25mW

You can fly at TEMAC but always with a spotter who could take control of your plane if you need them to.

You must fly within sight, so we say within the field boundaries. Remember, someone needs to be able to take over your plane at any time, so they need to be able to see it.

davidk

Here is a link to the MAAC FPV document https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=40

I believe that a HAM licence is not required (EDIT - refer to Simon's post).  The reference to HAM was simply about using, and posting, frequencies for FPV.  It's important if more than 1 FPV pilot is flying  as you could lose your plane due to frequency interference.  This has happened at TEMAC.

As with all documents, there are confusing items.  E.g. Item 5.5 reads... "Once qualified as an FPV pilot..." but no where in the document is "qualification" defined.  This "may" refer to items 5.3 and 5.4 which cover checking out your plane for FPV.

One item that is often ignored is 5.8... "Spotters are required".  I feel the general idea is that any MAAC rule that is ignored could jeopardize TEMAC MAAC status.  We don't want to lose our field status because an FPV pilot did not have a spotter.  So, ensure you have a spotter when flying FPV.

davidk

Simon... would it be common to be above 25mW at TEMAC?  I don't know anything about this stuff... just curious.

Further, what frequencies are being used at TEMAC by FPV Pilots... and do they have / need a HAM license?

zhurui45

if I use a non analog system do i still need a ham licence?

davidk

zhurui45

planning to go to dji store and ask them is their product (DJI fpv system) requires a ham licence or not.

still need to ask one more question, how do I get a Ham licence? I feel all the websites I can find (include the one post in this form) are really old and not update. the ng hobby seems out of the business, is there any other place who teach the class or doing a similar thing? 

davidk

VadimKirillov

Most pilots at TEMAC fly 200mW. We have a board at the field where you can choose your channel and show everyone else what channel you are using, in addition you should sit at the fly station according to your selected channel. Turn on your equipment only when no one else is flying FPV even if you are on a different frequency or non analog. Ask someone to spot for you.
Don't fly below the ground level and you  should be fine at TEMAC. I, for one, would be very interested to see DJI FPV system.