A Plastic Cowl Repair

Started by davidk, November 29, 2019, 11:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

And now for a look at my repair skills  ;)

This is the cowl of a T-28 that is coming back to life.  With help from my friends... and a little fibreglass and epoxy... this is strong enough to use again.  She's pretty enough for the 50/50 rule.

bweaver

davidk

I think the T-28 is ready to fly again.

The whole motor mount was loose because it was glued into the foam of the nose... and a lot of that foam was broken. 
I cut out as little as I could of the foam and pulled out the motor mount.  I was going to cut off a 1/4 of foam from the face of the nose, replacing it with 1/4 in plywood, but then Bruce had closer look.
The motor mount was 3/4" deep.  He cut a piece of 1/2 " blue foam and 1/4 inch ply to replace the motor mount area.
Gorilla glue the foam and ply together, then glue them both into the nose.  Then add a couple of pieces of blue foam to each side which locks the mount even more into place.
That is one strong motor mount now.

Finally, add a bit of thrust angle with 3 washers at the top right and 2 washers at the bottom right.

Thanks to Bruce and Frank and Glenn and everyone else I bugged... she's set to go.  What an amazing club and bunch of guys.

Now... who wants to try her first???

bweaver

Beautiful blue foam.  Great job!    Looks like new...  Are you going to put skis on it?

davidk

Hmmm... retractable skis... now's there's a thought.