New Year's Day flying at Rogo Field Jan 1, 2020, 10 am

Started by Frank v B, November 27, 2019, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Please mark your calendars for the New Year's Day tradition at the field.  Come watch Andy wear the ugliest looking bathing suit* over his snow suit.

Meet at Tim's Woodbine before-hand.  I should be there by about 9:15.  At 8:55 9:55 we do the procession of idiots to the field.  Usually we have to park on the shoulder of the road and walk in.  We have had beautiful days where we could drive in and we have had brutal days where it was one quick circuit and outta there.  We then meet back at Tim's for a de-brief, re-heat and sanity check.

Why am I telling you this now?  Three good reasons:
1) Please put it on your calendar now.
2) Please pay your 2020 TEMAC dues at the AGM next week (Wednesday) so you are legal.
3) Please pay your MAAC dues so you are insured.  No MAAC, no New Year's day flying please.

Frank

* How ugly is it?   I bought it for him and yet he proudly wears it every year.

"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Michael

Michael

bweaver

It doesn't need to go on my calendar. Even though I am retired, I still know what day it is. 

(Most of the time.) :)

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "Even though I am retired, I still know what day it is."

There is no test as long as you are there on the right day!   ;D ;D
Loved your comment!

Frank

davidk

There are only 2 main category days:  Flying days and Non-Flying days.

The Non-Flying days are further divided into:

Repair Days
Build Days
Gluing Days
Running around trying to find stuff for the above days Days.

GuyOReilly

@davidk
There are also time allocated within the defined build/gluing/repair days for deep thinking (preferably with eyes closed) on next steps or next model and generally reminisce about days of old when one was flying in the warm sun of summer...

Frank v B

David,

re: Guy's reply "......There are also time allocated within the defined build/gluing/repair days for deep thinking (preferably with eyes closed) on next steps or next model and generally reminisce about days of old when one was flying in the warm sun of summer..."

Some of our members are clearly DREAMERS.   ;D ;D

Eat  Sleep  Build  Fly  Re-build  The modeler's cycle of life.

Frank

Frank v B

Received a text this afternoon from Andy Hoffer with best wishes plus a guarantee that he will be here for the New Year's Frozen Fingers Funfly.

Frank

Gerald Danen

I will be there with my new Bixler2!
I am also proposing we enhance our January 1st festive (Andy) garb (bathing suits) to include goofy Christmas sweaters sorta like the one on the model in the attached photo.🥶🎄
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Frank v B

Gerald, how much did the store pay you to take the sweater??   ;D ;D

Frank

Gerald Danen

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Frank v B

Only 3 more days until New Year's madness sets in and we meet at Tim's.
The only things you need to know:

- Meet at the field at 10 am!!  Yes, Jan 1, 2020, Rob D.'s year of perfect vision 20/20 ;D
- Meet at Tim's Woodbine anytime before that.  I am aiming to be there by 9:15.  Yes, I am one of the desperate ones. ;)
- after flying, we meet back at Tim's Woodbine to warm up and continue the BS exchange.
- David K. will probably give a final Field Condition Report a day or two before but it looks like wheels are an option.
- Please, Please, Please get your MAAC on-line before the event so you are legal for 2020.  Insurance coverage is a must.
- someone please outdo Andy and his tacky wacky bathing suit. :)

Frank

davidk

At this point the field is essentially bare of snow and ice.  That rain last night washed is all away.  Lotsa ice on the driveway and parking lot because someone keeps driving on it  ;), but it's all good to drive in - go slow.  As you can see it's completely clear at Stouffville Rd.

There's a rumor of scattered flurries tomorrow.  If that happens the skis and floats will be the call of the day.  The grass may be wet/frozen enough for floats and skis.  Otherwise, it's wheels.

Frank v B

David,

Thanks for the field update. 

Reading between the lines:  Bring one plane on wheels and one on skis and you will be fine. ;D

Frank