RPAS Updates to your pilot certificate have been made - Transport Canada

Started by Athol, November 29, 2019, 01:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athol

I received this email from Transport Canada today and thought there would be some value in sharing the contents:

We've recently updated your pilot certificate to clarify the operating rules and safe distances required for you to operate your drone safely. Please note that your privileges to fly a drone have not changed and remain the same.
For Basic operations:
•   You may fly up to 400 ft (122m) or in accordance with a Special Flight Operating Certificate-RPAS
•   You may not fly in controlled airspace, or within 5.6km (3 nautical miles) or an airport, or 1.9km (1 nautical mile) of a heliport, whichever distance is greater
For Advanced operations:
•   You may fly up to 400 ft (122m), or in accordance with a Special Flight Operating Certificate-RPAS or as authorized by the provider of air traffic services in controlled airspace
•   Operations are permitted in controlled airspace if authorized by the provider of air traffic services
•   You may not fly within 5.6km (3 nautical miles) of an airport, or 1.9km (1 nautical mile) of a heliport unless the operation is conducted in accordance with an established procedure for that airport or heliport
•   Your drone must have a safety assurance declaration provided by the manufacturer for the operation it is being used in:
o   Controlled airspace - operations in which the drone will fly within the airspace controlled by air traffic control (Class A-F)
o   Near people - operations in which the drone will fly within 30 metres (100 feet) and 5 metres (16.4 feet) of any person not associated with the operation
o   Over people - operations in which the drone will fly within 5 metres (16.4 feet) or directly over any person not associated with the operation

Email
[email protected]
Telephone
Tel: 1-800-305-2059 / TTY: 1-888-675-6863
Monday to Friday (except holidays), 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time
Drone Management Portal (http://www.canada.ca/drones-portal)
Civil Aviation Services
Transport Canada
Government of Canada

davidk

Athol, does this mean that drones cannot be flown at the TEMAC field?

According to Google Maps the distance between the TEMAC field and Toronto Markham Airport is 4.97km.

Athol

@davidk - There is not change in our ability to fly ANY REPAS at the TEMAC Field.  Buttonville is greater than 5.6Km's from our field but we have a 400ft altitude limit unless have an event that would require us to file a NOTAM.

I posted this for information - not as an alarm  ;)

davidk

@Athol - I took the post as pure information.  Buttonville is more than 5.6km from our field, but Markham Airport isn't.

However, the MAAC exemption covers us...

14. The member of MAAC operating a RPAS within 3NM of an aerodrome outside of
controlled airspace and identified in the Canadian Flight Supplement (CFS) or the Canadian
Water Aerodrome Supplement (CWAS) shall, take-off, launch, land, or recover from either
a) a field sanctioned by MAAC; or

Frank v B

You know how much I know about drones (rounds to zero) but when they say:

"•   You may fly up to 400 ft (122m) or in accordance with a Special Flight Operating Certificate-RPAS".

Does the 400' refer to altitude (AGL) or horizontal distance from the pilot?

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Athol

davidk

Quote from: Frank v B on November 29, 2019, 05:35:44 PM
You know how much I know about drones (rounds to zero) but when they say:

"•   You may fly up to 400 ft (122m) or in accordance with a Special Flight Operating Certificate-RPAS".

Does the 400' refer to altitude (AGL) or horizontal distance from the pilot?

Frank

I'm going to enjoy this...

@Frank v B - the definition is in the wording.  "You may fly up to 400 ft"  ;D

I love the english language.

Frank v B

David,

re:  "the definition is in the wording.  "You may fly up to 400 ft" "

I can accurately throw a boat's mooring line up to 50'. You can be guaranteed it is horizontal. 
Am still working on the vertical ability but gravity keeps getting in the way. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

And... Markham Airport is actually an Aerodrome... so again... all is good.

Here's a link to a really good tool... a Drone Site Selection Tool... an interactive map.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/

piker

Quote from: Frank v B on November 29, 2019, 05:35:44 PM
You know how much I know about drones (rounds to zero) but when they say:....
Frank

Note that according to Transport Canada, EVERYTHING flown at TEMAC is a "Drone".

Robert

davidk

Right... an RPAS - Remotely Piloted Aircraft System.

In my case... remote is right  :D  As in... he's not remotely like a pilot.