Deseronto RFC Float Fly Weekend June 26th, 2020

Started by RCZee, January 01, 2020, 03:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCZee

Hello folks,

/I found a reference to the Deseronto Royal Flying Club, located on the waterfront in the middle of Deseronto in this forum back in 2018.  Our flying site is owned by the town but we have been granted permission to use and recently we received permission to hold a weekend RC event with camping at our site.  These will be open sites with no power or other utility hook ups, but we have a large area for all types of camping from tents to RVs and all amenities are a quick walk from our site including several restaurants including a local bar with character!

We are a new and relatively small club.  This is our first event of this scale, all previous events have been day long fun flys.  We are still working out details regarding costs, which will be minimal, and the local restaurant/bar is offering all of our participants their ribs and wings, which are fantastic, and draft beer for their Wing and Rib nights special pricing, with live band on Friday night and karaoke on Saturday night.

We have a great site on the Bay of Quinte, famous for its walleye fishing, and the weather in June is usually great for this area based on historical data from Trenton Air Force Base.  That is the reason they hold a special memorial service in local cemetery for Royal Flying Corp personal killed while learning to fly at two RFC aerodromes established in Deseronto during 1917/18, Camp Mohawk and Rathbun and our club was named in tribute to these aviators.

Details will be posted on the MAAC website, once finalized and I'm hoping that you will help spread the word regarding what should be a fantastic weekend for flying off the water.  RC watercraft are welcome and any RC vehicle enthusiasts will enjoy local features for running their vehicles.

Looking forward to see some fliers from the GTA area (I live in Oshawa) and visit our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/DeserontoRC/.

Jamie Zieman,
Deseronto Royal Flying Club
[email protected]

piker

Hey Jamie,

This sounds like a fantastic event!

I had heard of the Deseronto RFC from Martin Irvine from Kingston.

I hope you get a fantastic turnout with great weather to help build this event.  I probably won't be able to attend this year, but I know we have a lot of float flyers in TEMAC who might make the trip to Deseronto.

Robert
Float Flying Fanatic

RCZee

Hello Robert,

Thanks for responding since it had been a long while since last post and thanks for the add to your forum.

I'm hoping that some flyers who like the challenge that water taxiing with cross winds and waves, including during takeoff/landings, or conversely, calm water and no winds, will make the time to visit us on this weekend.  The Bay of Quinte is large and fantastic for fishing besides flying! Bring your fishing pole as great time of year to fish as well for walleye!

It is a beautiful site with all amenities (food store, LCBO, restaurants including an English Tea room quite well known in the region, and of course a Royal Canadian Legion!) within walking distance, which makes it more special,  With the Mohawk Tyendinaga Territory, right beside Deseronto has cheap gas, cigarettes and other "products" are available for lower costs and greater variety than normal.  Bring extra gas cans if you want to take some home with you!!

If anyone has questions they can contact me at [email protected].

Jamie