scale-parkflyer.de depron Beriev BE-200(Beer bomber) 70mmx2 Build

Started by Wingnutz, January 21, 2020, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Bill,

my earlier post "Great to see you are continuing the tradition of beer can/bottles in your build photos."

Two posts with photos but without beer cans.  Soooo disappointing. ;)
Keep building and get home safely. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

Sorry Frank,
My failure to include my traditional size reference in recent photos should not be taken to mean I have stopped drinking Canadian beer. I will try to maintain the tradition in my posted photos, but it will have to be cans, not bottles,...great special on cans at duty free when we came down and they take less space when you're travelling! Tune in for the next post!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

VadimKirillov

That's a great model, I wanted to see it fly for a long time, they assemble the actual airplane in my hometown, "Irkutsk" .
where have you found the blueprint? can you please share it with us?

davidk

How will you handle the CG when it picks up water... and then drops that water?  Or does it stay balanced during that process?

Frank v B

David,

re: your comment "....and then drops that water?"

The builder is Wingnutz!  This plane will be dropping Canadian beer. ;D

Frank

Wingnutz

Quote from: VadimKirillov on January 27, 2020, 03:41:26 PM
That's a great model, I wanted to see it fly for a long time, they assemble the actual airplane in my hometown, "Irkutsk" .
where have you found the blueprint? can you please share it with us?
Vadim,
Great to have an Irkutskian following the thread! I do not have a digital copy of the blueprint but paper copies are available at scale-parkflyer.de. I have a paper blueprint at home...but right now, that's 1500 mi away...yeah, as a proud Canadian, I should use km, but right now, I'm in the US and mi it is!
I've been on a bit of a Russian ( east bloc?) kick recently and bought an L-39 Albatros to fly at the local RC club. Sorry, PNP, no build!

Wingnutz

Quote from: davidk on January 27, 2020, 04:01:24 PM
How will you handle the CG when it picks up water... and then drops that water?  Or does it stay balanced during that process?
Davidk,
Like most RC water bombers, this one will not have any water carrying capability. If I can make a scale EDF take-off and land from water, I'll be more than thrilled! I have a converted to EDF Polaris which will take off and land from water, but it's hardly scale. It has an older tortured leaf blower generation EDF and has earned its nickname Hoover. The Beriev will have 12 blade EDFs which I hope will sound more realistic.

Wingnutz

Quote from: Frank v B on January 27, 2020, 05:36:40 PM
David,

re: your comment "....and then drops that water?"

The builder is Wingnutz!  This plane will be dropping Canadian beer. ;D

Frank
Frank,
Drop beer on a fire? :o...only if there's any left! Only minimal progress on the "beer bomber" so no picture with appropriately patriotic size references, but today, the last ordered stuff was delivered, so I now have servos, motors, ESCs, coping saw blades and a 1/16"x1'x4' sheet of aircraft ply from Balsa USA...silly expensive, but I now have no excuses and will post "referenced" photos of progress soon.

Frank v B

Mr. Nutz,

re: "Drop beer on a fire?"

Well, they drop fire retardant foam on a fire.  Beer has that in spades. ;D ;D
It will get the volunteer firefighters out in a hurry.  Five thousand firefighters fighting a brush fire as soon as a water bomber is called into action. ;)

Safe home.

Frank

Wingnutz

Frank...marvellous idea for motivating firefighters! Drop beer on them!
Got back to building the beer bomber yesterday...worked on the hard points for stabilator shaft as the first try left a lot to be desired in terms of a stable stabilator and I'm concerned about getting the shaft level and straight. Re-built the 1/16" ply on one side and added ply "donuts" outside on both sides of the v.stab. With careful final assembly, I think this will allow a straight, level, stable stabilator :)
Off to the LHS to get another Sullivan Gold-n-Rod for the rudder...think I've figured out how to route the cable so it will run freely in the correct direction.

Wingnutz

Started framing up one wing. The wing is built on a pre-cut and marked 1/8" (3mm) depron sheet. The main spar and "drag" spar are built from 6mm depron (also cut and marked) glued to a 1/16" (1.5mm) piece of aircraft ply approx 32" (800mm) long. Cutting the wooden spars without a scroll saw has been a treat...don't ask about the food cutting board that has served as a cutting "bench"! I'm planning to hinge the aileron with hinge tape applied to the upper surface of the wing and aileron itself, so the upper surface of the built up aileron protrudes about 1/16" ahead of the aileron leading edge. I'm hoping the right tape will help stiffen the aileron by tying it to the wing. Repeated the preceding for the second wing.

Wingnutz

Cut a 1/16" deep recess in the inner half of each float. This will allow the float halves to seat properly around the 1/16" ply float support.
Also cut a slot in the leading part of the fin and sunk the Gold-n-Rod outer tube where it will sit to drive the rudder.

davidk

So... are airplanes designed around the width of Canadian beer cans?  Just wondering!  And... what was used before cans??? A Stubby?

Wingnutz

Quote from: davidk on February 15, 2020, 08:45:23 PM
So... are airplanes designed around the width of Canadian beer cans?  Just wondering!  And... what was used before cans??? A Stubby?
Perhaps we should add "Canadian"(beer can as the standard linear and volume unit) to metric, imperial and US measure, then we could really confuse things instead of just confusing them...good idea!
...and, BC?(before cans?)...BO (bottles)!
... and BS?(before stubbies)...BO
...actually this is all BS...
I should stick to trying to build model airplanes instead of aspiring to heights of bad humour like the masters; Frank, Bruce and Andy. I'll go glue some ribs...

Frank v B

David,

I don't think you have met Mr. Nutz. 

He is the most patriotic Canadian modeler who, just like you, spends cold days in Florida to stop from going mad.  All his models have a Canadian flavour (taste) and he is a patriotic beer drinker as well.  He thinks hell is the place where you have to drink American beer all day. ;D

When he announced he was building a Beriev it could only mean the Cold War was definitely over.  It could indicate he is considering switching over to Vodka as the fire fighting liquid of choice.

We certainly hope he comes to visit us more often this coming season.  We missed him last year.

Frank