• February 17, 2020, 07:58:50 pm
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: Field charging sealed 12Volt batteries  (Read 397 times)

Offline Ededge2002

• Ace
    • cant find your way?
  • TEMAC #: 2003
Field charging sealed 12Volt batteries
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:48:23 pm »
Does anyone charge at the field?   Any interest in some large deep cycle sealed 12Volt batteries?   I have a few pairs that are grouped into 24volt setups.  Can split if desired depending on interest.  Please post if there is any interest in me posting these. 

Ed

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Offline octagon

• Ace
  • TEMAC #: 226
  • Started Flying RC: 1974
Re: Field charging sealed 12Volt batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:38:03 am »
Hi Ed,
What physical size are these. Would they be the kind of size you get at Canadian Tire, or something larger than that?
What could possibly go wrong?

Online davidk

• Captain
  • TEMAC #: 351
  • Started Flying RC: 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 03:22:30 pm »
Since seeing this charging station at the field down here, I've been wondering if this would be feasible for TEMAC.  The batteries are housed in a plastic bin.  There are charging ports for banana plugs and alligator clips.  The battery is trickle charged by a small solar panel.  The whole thing could be set up on a picnic table.  We have enough sunshine during our flying season and bad weather down here is far worse.  For the winter I'd store it in my garage and keep it at a minimum charge.

So, I'm wondering if the batteries Ed has would be appropriate.

Something to think about.  Is there enough interest to have a small charging station at TEMAC?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:01:24 pm by davidk »

Offline SeeFernando

• Captain
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TEMAC #: 326
  • Started Flying RC: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 05:10:58 pm »
YES!!

And maybe a Weather Station? With a data stream that we can display on the website?  ::)
-Chris

Offline Ededge2002

• Ace
    • cant find your way?
  • TEMAC #: 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
Four of the larger ones.  Four of the medium ones and two of the smaller.   
I use a 24v set of these for field charging and they are great.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Offline octagon

• Ace
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
How much do you want for the smaller ones?

Online Gil.E

• Pilot
  • TEMAC #: 221
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:51:59 am »
Is there enough interest to have a small charging station at TEMAC?

This is a question for the club management to evaluate. The price of a charging station would depend on it's capacity, which in turn depends on club members usage expectations.  It won't be cheap if designed to support multiple users. Aside from the initial investment in Solar panels, MPPT charge controller and a battery bank, there would be the cost of regular maintenance. Batteries would have to be replaced every few years as their performance degrade. I'll be happy to volunteer time to design/construct an ad-hoc solar panel charge station for TEMAC assuming their is interest and a budget to create/maintain it.           
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:58:55 am by Gil.E »
"I’m just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you’re risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

Offline octagon

• Ace
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 10:08:55 am »
It would be amazing to have a charging station at Rogo Field. The problem would be vandalism. There is no security at all, (when Dave K is not living there in the summer) and I suspect our best efforts at creating something like this would last as long as someone unscrupulous drove by and noticed an unattended solar panel. I have been to fields where charging stations are available, but they all had security gates or were in locked buildings.

Online davidk

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
Is there enough interest to have a small charging station at TEMAC?

This is a question for the club management to evaluate. The price of a charging station would depend on it's capacity, which in turn depends on club members usage expectations.  It won't be cheap if designed to support multiple users. Aside from the initial investment in Solar panels, MPPT charge controller and a battery bank, there would be the cost of regular maintenance. Batteries would have to be replaced every few years as their performance degrade. I'll be happy to volunteer time to design/construct an ad-hoc solar panel charge station for TEMAC assuming their is interest and a budget to create/maintain it.           

Based on the station here in Florida, there is 1 small solar panel, 1 MFJ-1118 and 2 MFJ-1117.  I've only seen 1 person use the MFJ-1117 in the time I've been here so this setup may be a bit too much.

MFJ-1118 : $100 US : https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1118
MFJ-1117 : $80 US
Solar Panel : these are pretty cheap these days
Charge Controller to battery: under $100 ??. May come with the Solar Panel
Cost of batteries: ??
Wood, Box, etc: ??

I'd suggest starting with just the MFJ-1118 and adding on if needed.
I'm trying to gauge interest.  If there is interest then it's a question for the board.

Online davidk

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:24:23 am »
It would be amazing to have a charging station at Rogo Field. The problem would be vandalism. There is no security at all, (when Dave K is not living there in the summer) and I suspect our best efforts at creating something like this would last as long as someone unscrupulous drove by and noticed an unattended solar panel. I have been to fields where charging stations are available, but they all had security gates or were in locked buildings.

Agreed... since there was a garbage dump at the field last summer.
I'm not sure you could see it from the road, but I'm sure there's lots of drive in traffic we're not aware of.
If more dumps had occurred last summer I was going to put up a field camera... cheap and potentially effective.

Online Gil.E

• Pilot
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
I have been to fields where charging stations are available, but they all had security gates or were in locked buildings.

The batteries and electronics could be locked in a storage bin (Deck box) and will be inherently too heavy to pick up and drive (and chained to the Loo for a good measure...)   

Maybe the solar panels could be installed on a tall post above ground. Will someone make the effort of ladder climbing with a tool box to unscrew a couple of panels worth $400 ?
"I’m just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you’re risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

Offline octagon

• Ace
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 10:42:29 am »
Gil, come to the meeting on Feb 12th and let's kick around the idea and see where it leads. I am not against it, in fact it would be great to have it, just the cynical side of me thinks it would need to be well protected, if that is possible. I had a friend who had a cottage in Haliburton. He had continual problems with people breaking in and steeling whatever was not bolted down.  He installed a security system that alerted him of a break in. He go a call one night so he called the Minden OPP office. There was no answer!  So had 4 inch channel steel gate built, hung on posts that were cemented 4 feet into the ground. He called me in the spring. Thieves had sawed through the hinges and stolen the gates! People can be real jerks just for the fun of it some times.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:46:40 am by octagon »

Online Gil.E

• Pilot
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:47 am »

I'd suggest starting with just the MFJ-1118 and adding on if needed.

David,

Scalable Pricing points for panels and batteries:

Every 100W panel costs $200    -   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009Z6CW7O?pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73&pf_rd_r=KKZ08F7DHF8EKXNA81XJ

100W panel would produce an average of 400Whr on a typical north american summer day (aggregate 4 hours of peak performance per day).

On the conservative side a typical 12V automotive battery from Canadian tire at the $100 price level would have a storage capacity between 480Whr to 600Whr and would be a good pairing match for the above 100W panel.

Translated into RC Model flying terms:
Every $300 (100W Panel+ 12V Automotive Batt) in capacity investment buys TEMAC pilots about 25 charge operations of a 3S 2200mAh Lipo Per day.

You can now scale that figure for future increase in capacity, if there's a demand.     

Charge controllers are not expensive: $100 to $150 for a  good model with room for growth. 
https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Intelligent-Modular-Designed-Regulator-Software/dp/B07GGPQD1W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=TRIRON+2210N&qid=1580486443&sr=8-1

Online Gil.E

• Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:59:55 am »
just the cynical side of me thinks it would need to be well protected, if that is possible.

I can go as far as researching the cost of adding electrified fence (barb wire?)  around the post-raised panels  :) but that usually only works on cows.
I think the more security measures you place around an object the more attractive it becomes...

Please raise the topic on the next pilot meeting just to gauge the interest level. I'll report to duty with my soldering iron when called for.       

Online davidk

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 04:11:56 pm »
Thanks Gil, excellent info.

The solar panel, which included the controller, cost $100 US a couple of years ago.  Tim, the president of the Oceola Flyers, put the charging system together.
The battery is a very large 12V - not sure of it's specs but I think it's the equivalent of about 4 car batteries.  The only reason it was used was because that's what he had.  He got it from his work.  The battery is used to start a large generator.  He said a car battery would be fine.

Too funny that you mentioned an electric fence because there is an electric fence all around this field... to keep out the cows!  It's also powered by a 10x10 solar panel.  It's not on when we're flying so I had to chase a cow away today. 

Herding cows and flying planes... doesn't get any better.