Nitro to EP, How to Fix chopped up fiberglass cowls?

Started by Gregor77, May 10, 2020, 08:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I need some help!

I have a Ziroli DR-1 that I have been restoring all winter (smashed fuse, mis aligned wings, broken spars, etc..)

I am running into a problem with trying to fill the old holes in the side of the cowl.  It's pretty much 20% of the cowl is cracked and a hole.  How do I fix this?  What do I need to get to repair the holes and still make it strong enough.  I can deal with the finishing of the cowl, but I need to know how to do the fiberglass repair.

XOXO

Polecat

Greg
Just put fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin over the cracks and holes on the inside of the cowl. Fill the weave with the resin as well. When the resin is dry us a autobody filler, like bondo, I use a two part filler but you have to buy a quart.
You can use epoxy resin mixed with micro balloons to thicken and use as a filler. Also baby power will work to thicken as well.
Hope this helps

Ken

Gregor77

Thanks Ken

I will try that out.  The part that had the cylinder hanging out is about the size of a pop can.  What can I use to build up the fiberglass to get the correct form?  Wax paper and foam?

Polecat

A hole that size, the cloth with resin on it would sag, I would put wax paper on piece of balsa for some support, to push the cloth up.
A sheet of 1/8 balsa will work, it might not be perfect but you can fill in and sand to the shape of the cowl.

Gregor77

Ok, will try that, Thanks Ken!   

Happy Building!

Gregor77

Ok, so I got it fixed, thank Ken... Just need to final sand and prime / Paint red.

Gregor77

Frank v B

Greg,

Your auto body repair experience is coming through... again.
Great work...if the red painted cowl is the "after" photo.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"