Covid 19.3- restart Knox Hawkshaw's re-build- .40 size plane

Started by Frank v B, April 30, 2020, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I started re-building this plane last year but it got pushed off to the side.

It was a plane that was designed and built by Knox Hawkshaw, a legend of Canadian Aviation.  Knox is the man who developed and patented the water scoop used in all aerial water bombers.  The patent is still in his name.  He passed away a few years ago and one of his planes made it to my hanger.  This re-build is a tribute to a pioneer and long-time friend.

The original post for the re-build:  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6935.0.html

The description of Knox's impact on Canadian Aviation-  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6492.0.html

- made the wing removable- this was a one piece airplane.
- stripped the wing completely, installed two servos in the wing and re-covered it. This wing appears to have suffered at least 3 significant crashes.  All but a few ribs had to be re-built and the plane had 3 layers of covering in places.
- installed a no-name motor (approx .46 size).  Will fly it on 4 or 5 cells.

To be done:
- cover the fuselage, hook up the electronics.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Done in the past few days:

- covered the fuselage
- installed and connected the servos.  The elevator was easy.  The pushrod was in place because it has an internal elevator horn and pushrod connection.
Finding the rudder exit at the tail was not so easy.  It had been covered over and the housing tube (red) must have cracked/broken.  To find the exit hole, I attached a drill bit in one end of the internal (yellow) tube (Photo 21) and connected it to a drill at the other end. (Photo 22).  The drill bit came out the very tail end at the rudder.  No good.  Cut in and installed a new flexible pushrod and connected the servos.  Photo 23.
- installed the rudder and tail wheel.  Note the unique bottom rudder hinge and tail wheel.  Photo 20.   Knox started out as a machinist.
- Note the shape of the fin/rudder in photo 24.  Remind you of a Spitfire?

Frank

Frank v B

Finished!!

Note:
- the tear in the left wing.  Hanger rash.  Guess where a racing stripe or a roundel will appear on this model? :D
- the machined landing gear.  It is spring loaded and shock absorbing.   Not removable so it was always in the way while re-building the wing or covering it.
- I preserved the cockpit instrument panel as Knox built it.  Still need to do some touch-ups.

The one thing that will be done is the windshield.  The original one was badly damaged.  Can't do that until I get to the store and find the right bottle.  My favourite bottle to cut canopies from is Irresistible Flavoured soda water (1 L) from Metro or Sobey's.  It is absolutely clear, strong plastic and nicely shaped for a midsize plane.  Can only get it at my next food shopping trip.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Gorgeous @Frank v B .  it just needs a portrait of you for nose art.  I have few which I could make available at no charge.  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

First of all.... a compliment.  Wow.  You only give out 5 compliments per year!  Start rationing.

You cannot have nose art without a pilot.  Go to town.  You put any kind of pilot in there.  The cockpit space is 2.75" front to back, 2.25" side to side and the headrest is 1.75" above the cockpit floor which is made of 1/8" balsa and covered in black film.  The cockpit will be open with just a windscreen.

No matter what you produce I will install it without hesitation, adjustment or compromise even if it is a donkey's rear end with goggles and a scarf. ;D  Just remember, we both have to answer to Knox in the hereafter. ;)

Make a statement but don't embarrass Mita.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Hi @Frank v B,

I am of two minds for the pilot bust.  Either way, I will have to source a mil-spec 3D printer that can take the abuse.

@bweaver , what do you think?

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

A cut and paste side view will do.  You probably have lots of incriminating photographs in the Terabyte of memory you have filled with TEMAC photos.
3 D printing would take way too much plastic. ;D

I can hear the gears going.

Frank

bweaver

It goes without saying that the plane balances perfectly with me in the cockpit! But I will be flying myself, thanks...;D

Frank v B

Bought the Irristible Fizz bottle this morning.  It is stronger than a 2 L. bottle, very clear plastic and the label is not embossed.  The printing is on a plastic sheet that peels off.  $.99.  Good Deal.

Usually get the canopy or windscreen off the shoulder of the bottle. Will figure that out tonight.

Frank

Frank v B

The cockpit:

I cut a piece of paper the shape of the windscreen.  Marked the halfway point.  Folded the paper in half and cut the pattern.  This way at least all mistakes are symmetrical.
Found  space on the bottle which had a bit of a curve at the neck.  Marked it with magic marker and cut it out.  Attached it with screws.  This plane had a screen behind the pilot headrest as well.  Cut it out of another portion of the bottle.  Used 4 screws to attach it.

Frank

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Planes fly better with pilots.  Found one.

Done.... double done.  Ready to maiden.

Frank