Build Class- Frank's Joy Stick project

Started by Frank v B, February 14, 2020, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Maidened the plane today and it flew great despite the gusty conditions.

Changes:
- the plans showed right thrust because it was designed to be powered by a screaming Tee Dee .051 Nitro motor.  I kept in some right thrust when I built it.  It should now be zero.  Will add two washers behind the mounting screws on the starboard (right) side.
- changed the prop from an 8x4.7 to a 9x6 and the draw went up from 9 to 15 amps, a 66% increase.
- needs more throw on both rudder* and elevator.  I started off with mild throws just to fly it conservatively.

My conclusion: a terrific little plane made from left-over parts.

Frank

* this is a 3 channel plane.  No ailerons.  Rudder and elevator only.
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Frank VB has asked me to post about my experience with the proposed winter build for next year (one of them anyway). The actual build was very strait forward and very affordable.. If this design is adopted as one of the build projects, either Frank and I will make rib kits available or I have a rib template that makes it easy to make your own. The motor I used is equivalent to a Park 370. The one I used was called a Suppo BL2298/17 and is rated at 1300 kv. I used an 18 amp ESC and a 9/6 prop. For anyone interested, here is a link to the perfomance  http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/134.
The build is quick and strait forward and fun. I built the right wing in a hockey intermission and the left wing after the game and then joined them that night. The fuse is just a simple box design
So yesterday was time to maiden it. It was a bit apprehensive as it was a bit windy and gusty but pretty much down the runway from the north. I asked Frank what he thought, and he said he was absolutely going to try it, but to remember who I was asking if he thought it was ok. Anyway, taxied it out taxied down the runway and of it went. No trim whatsoever was needed (a first for a Dickinson built plane). I did use 2 washers under the left mount lug and one under the right to give the plane a bit of down thrust as well as right.
The plane handled the wind well and flew comfortably with just 1/2 throttle. Surprisingly to me, the rudder elevator only worked better than I had expected. The little thing loops and will do a nice stall turn. It is gentle to land and honestly I had a hoot with it. I would say total building time, including covering was probably something in the neighbourhood of 20 hours. I had the motor and ESC but the motor is online for about $15 and the speed control probably less than 20. Ad the prop, wheels and wood and covering and I think you would have one in the air for about $70.00.  Perhaps one of the neatest things about this is that this plane is very similar to a plane I build when I was in grade 10. One of my shop teachers was a model plane enthusiast and gave me plans for it. I cannot remember now, but if it was not a smaller version of this plane it was very similar. That plane never flew as I could never afford a radio for it. So this one has taken that ones place in my mind anyway.
What could possibly go wrong?

Gregor77

Awesome. I think I am going to try this. But with Sophia's input. It might have a frozen 2 flair to it.