2020-2021 Buildclass model suggestion; build and discussion

Started by Michael, February 17, 2020, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

At the last TEMAC Pilot's meeting, we discussed the intent to return to the idea of having a 'group-build' project for out 'build classes'. These are usually held 2 weeks after our Pilot's meetings.

This thread will serve 2 purposes: 1, to decide on what model we would build, and 2, to follow the construction of one of the suggested models to be built.

Frank, who heads these build classes, has suggested a cute and simple scratch-built model, which he is featuring in another thread. It is a 3-channel – low wing trainer. Follow his progress here:
http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7374.0.html

Simon may suggest another similar but larger model, that he is currently investigating.

The model am testing/suggesting is an Alien Aircraft Dragon 42. It is a 42" wingspan model that can fly off grass, water and snow.

Feel free to chime in, make suggestions, and offer comments, all towards making a decision to choose which model we should build. Of course, we can have more than one group of builders building different models.
Michael

Michael

Alien Aircraft Dragon 42.

http://alienaircraft.com/k304.htm

I purchased and will start building this model in order to rate its suitability for a group build project. If it goes together nicely and flies well, you may want to consider it as a model to build.

The model is a 42" wingspan flying-boat – type model airplane, with a high-mounted motor. The kit comes with strip and sheet wood, laser cut parts, molded styrene parts and some hardware.

The instruction manual can be found here:
http://alienaircraft.com/docs/304_book.pdf

In these photos you can see the open box, one of 2 plan sheets, a pink styrofoam  building surface, and an older motor I am considering using. The plans call for a 7" propeller. In order to use the motor I have, or most motors of the recommended size, a 3 or 4 bladed propeller will have to be used to draw enough amps and watts to fly the plane. Most motors of the size needed will usually spin a larger propeller, so the 3 or 4 blade propeller will make up for the smaller diameter. I'll deal with this later on in the construction.
Michael

davidk

For some reason I'm drawn towards the Dragon mainly because of the water and snow capabilities.
Regardless of the planes chosen... if there are enough people, are bulk purchases possible?

msatin

I will almost certainly pick one of the projects,  but am still away.
Will make a decision when I get back
You never fail until you stop trying

sihinch

Here is another kit that I have seen that might be good. Looks like a slightly bigger version of Frank's recent build. Also reminds me of the E-Flite Advance 25

Dancing Wings Hobby DW T30 1400 1.4m Wingspan Balsa Wood Trainer https://banggood.app.link/fWijrm3mb4

Michael

Quote from: davidk on February 17, 2020, 03:33:28 PM
... if there are enough people, are bulk purchases possible?

I'll find out once I have an idea of how many kits we need.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: sihinch on February 18, 2020, 10:46:09 AM
Here is another kit that I have seen that might be good. Looks like a slightly bigger version of Frank's recent build. Also reminds me of the E-Flite Advance 25

Dancing Wings Hobby DW T30 1400 1.4m Wingspan Balsa Wood Trainer https://banggood.app.link/fWijrm3mb4

Nice.
Michael

Michael

The instruction manual has images showing the complete construction. (See post 2 above.)

In these images you can see the construction of the fin and rudder. It's made of laser cut 3/32" sheet balsa parts, which I lightly cut out from the balsa sheets. Only the leading fin needed to be glued to the larger upright fin. No other gluing here. I lightly sanded the edges square and smooth, except the front/leading edge of the rudder was sanded to a round profile. Hinges are cut into 1/8th strips, and inserted into slots carefully cut with an Exacto knife. The hinges were temporarily installed to check the fit, but were not glued yet. They'll be glued after covering and installation onto the fuselage. Working slowly, the whole thing took less than 15 minutes.
Michael

Michael

Stabilizer and elevator construction was similar to that of the fin/rudder. I found that by cutting the corners off the hinges, things went together easier. The small 1/8" dowel had to be sanded to a 3/32" diameter, which I then glued to the elevator halves against a metal ruler to keep things straight. Sanding the dowel and cutting the hinge slots took most of the 20 minutes work here.
Michael

Georgetsigaridis

All three kits look great. It will be a hard decision.
I may get more than one. I would build with the class and leave the second for later.
I am excited about the build and thankful to the instructors for their expertise and time commitment.
Thanks guys

Michael

Fuselage started. So far, very easy, but I`m working slowly. Also, make sure to build a right and left side. Doublers glued on, very carefully watching the placement location as per the plans.

Issues:

1. I didn't mark the part numbers (as indicated in the instructions) on the laser cut sheets, in order to identify and quickly find the parts when needed. This has slowed me down. I'll mark the parts next.

2. The fuselage sides ended up getting glued to the wax paper (which protects the plans). When dried, I carefully tore the wax paper from the balsa, and then lightly sanded off the glued-on wax paper. I didn't sand deep, and some wax paper residue remains; these will be the insides of the fuselage, although it doesn't really matter, since the model will be covered or painted anyway.
Michael

Michael

Marking the part numbers on the balsa.

Michael

Michael

Preparation of formers exactly as per the instructions. About 45 minutes work.

Test-fitting the formers in the fuselage side; the fit is very precise!
Michael

Michael

Formers glued into fuselage sides. Overall, very easy and quick. Just follow the instructions and instruction photos, look at the plans, and make sure the formers are positioned properly before gluing (up is up; forward is forward). Maybe 10 minutes work with CA glue. The iPad is great for following the instructions, and is great for enlarging the photos to see details. I just have to be careful not to get any glue on it.
Michael

Michael

Laser cut top and bottom for the aft-fuselage fit perfectly. It's simply a matter of placing the pieces in place (like a puzzle) and then applying glue.

Marking the balsa pieces with their parts numbers (before construction) as per the instructions (also indicates up from down) really makes the work easier.

5 - 10 minutes work here.
Michael