Stork

Started by Canuke, February 15, 2020, 11:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuke

I've just finished building this Fieseler Storch (Banggood) as a winter project. A combination of frustration/satisfaction. Leaning more toward the former. Received with a damaged box, many broken and loose parts. Fragile balsa fuse, just picking it up in the wrong area would cause a break. I'm not sure why I have some extra parts left over in the box (hopefully for repairs?)
Chinese instructions relating to a slightly different version. It's been sometime since I built a balsa model and covering and a bit of a relearning curve. It will be flying with a 4 cell, 2200 this Spring I hope.

Frank v B

Jim,

Satisfying to fly something you have built. 8)

Caution on flying a Storch.  When taking off, advance the throttle, do not punch it.  Because the wing is so high and draggy, if you punch the throttle it causes a ground loop.  The prop accelerates the slim fuse faster than the draggy wing and causes the nose to pitch up dramatically.  Make sure it is nose heavy when you maiden the plane.  You will get used to it.  They fly fine.

Good job. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Canuke

Thanks for the information. I'm having a hard time getting the battery far enough to the front to balance it. I may have to add some lead weights to the nose. The frustrating parts were partly my inexperience in the building process. The instructions would tell you to make for instance 2 boxes to join the wing halves to the fuse. After completing these and making sure they were good and strong and at the end of the build trying to fit them it became obvious that they had to be mirror images of each other. This happened 2 or 3 times in the build. My next build (which I might do because I enjoyed much of the experience) will be easier. I am looking around for another balsa kit currently.