Dumas Pietenpol - another project

Started by Michael, March 21, 2020, 05:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I enjoyed building the Alien Aircraft Dragon 42, so I decided to build more balsa planes to keep me busy while I'm sitting at home.

My new project is the Dumas Pietenpol; a lightweight small (36" wingspan) scale model.

Details here:
https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DUM1803

I've been working on this for about 6 days now; a few hours each day. This is not a beginner's kit, but with patience, most can build one. It's just that it's so light and there are so many delicate and thin parts, that I've damaged and repaired work at least 20 times since beginning construction. That's OK, since I want to take as much time as possible. It is fun for me.

Anyway, I'm almost finished basic construction. I am customizing as I progress, and am not following the instruction manual in order, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

Some of the work is tedious and slow, but that's the point. Take a look at the thread-wrapped landing gear struts. Working and gluing just a bit at a time, that took a few hours.

Michael

Michael

More work on wing struts, landing gear and wheels (built and sanded). Several hours of work.

Total 2.4 ounces / 69 grams weight so far.
Michael

davidk

Such a pretty plane.  I love the balsa wheels.

Michael

I am really working slowly on this, to help pass the time, and to stretch out my enjoyment.

I spent several hours yesterday and today: installing the servos and control hardware, sheeting the fuselage top with balsa wood instead of the supplied card stock, making a hatch at the front-top fuselage, and building a dummy engine and radiator.

Michael

Michael

Engine and radiator painted, dash boards fashioned and printed, and covering started.
Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

The details are amazing.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Thanks, Frank.

More covering, slow and steady.

I'm applying coloured tissue, using a glue stick onto the balsa. When dry, water is gently applied, and the tissue dries nearly drum tight. When fully dry again, I gently brush on a coat of white glue / water, approx. 50-50 mix, as a sealer and protective coating. This also simulates a textured surface.
Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Have you decided on the power system?

Frank

sihinch

Michael

Flite Test 1800 motor. It's bigger than an E-Flite 180 but smaller than a 300. It can handle 2 to 3 lipo cells.

It does not come with a prop adapter (prop sits right on the motor) and there is no motor mount. I made minor changes to the front of the fuselage to suit.

Michael

Frank v B

Simon,

re  "Yes.  Electric!  ;D ;D ;D ;D"

I guess I asked for that one. :) 
Now get back to work baking my cookies. ;)

Frank

piker

Hey Michael,

Cool subject!

Do you remember the Pietenpol at the York airport where we had our fun fly for a few years?  The first year, some of the local full size owners took a bunch of us for flights around the patch.  I got to go up in the Pietenpol and it was AWESOME!  Leather helmet, goggles, tube (or was it wood) and fabric construction, and a dinky open motor out the front.  The fuselage was no more than my shoulder width, and when I looked over the side there was nothing between me and the ground, far below, besides a spoke wheel and bungee suspension.  It was SO cool.  It was like a motorbike with wings.  Small and open.

Then Glenn went up and during his flight one of the magneto's quit, so the plane had to be grounded for the evening. 

Michael

Covering and painting continues.

Michael

bweaver

Fantastic Michael! 

(See how it is done Frank?)  ;D

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "See how it is done Frank?"

That's why Michael is the president and you and I are not. :D

Frank

ps: looking great Michael.