Covid-19 TEMAC situation ...

Started by Michael, March 21, 2020, 06:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I hope everyone is well.

As in several states, Illinois is under a "Stay at Home" order.

Horizon Hobby (Hangar 9, E-Flite, Spektrum, etc.) has sent out an email to their customers that they will not be flying at their clubs.

So far, such an order hasn't been issued in Ontario nor the GTA, however, if a similar situation develops here, we will have no choice but to officially close the field temporarily.

Based on current protocols and the conditions of the field, flying at TEMAC is not recommended.

Stay posted. Should we get to that point, an email will be sent out to our membership.

Keep building models and post your progress in the 'Building / Construction' forum of this website.
Michael

sihinch

I know we will need to do what the Government asks, but I honestly don't think being at our field is a high risk situation.

We can stay 2m apart. Always. And then we can still enjoy our hobby.

Like I said, we will do what we're told but I feel pretty strongly about it being very very very low risk.

Frank v B

I agree with Simon.

Those of us who went to the field last Thursday for the Spring Thing never got closer than 6 feet.  Our flight stones are 20' apart per MAAC regulations.  We even parked two spaces apart.
I was at Home Depot this afternoon and they were letting in a few people at a time with a line-up of about 20 people waiting to get inside.

If the City, the Province and/or the Country shuts everything down, we have to comply.  Right now the only enforceable requirement is no gatherings larger than 50 people.
There are no spaces or surfaces to contaminate at Rogo Field.

The Ryerson boys are showing up tomorrow 1 pm at the field.  I will give them the proper space.

Frank

ps: I am working at a Customer's house this coming Monday and Tuesday.  Both Mr and Mrs are doctors at a Toronto Hospital and they want me to be there while she and the kids are at home.  I am there at their request.  There are hand wash and distance requirements but no shut-down requested or required.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Last week Sunday, some members were repairing/working on their planes, inches apart.

I'm just concerned about all our well-being. Please be careful.
Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Will do and thank you.
I will police it.

Frank

zhurui45

no offence here, I'd suggest members fly less under the current situation.  I mean flying RC model involves lots of talking and sometimes you may not aware where u touch.   

davidk

I think we need to be specific about some broad terms being used by governments and the news.

"Illinois is under a "Stay at Home" order."... but... Stay at Home isn't actually an order in this case... more of a phrase... a request.

"Can I leave my home?
Yes, under the order, people can leave their homes to get exercise outdoors and walk their pets. Local roads, including interstate highways and tollways, as well as public transit, will remain open and operating.

The directive is aimed at getting people to stay in their homes, but a number of essential needs are exempt, including going to the grocery store, putting gas in vehicles and trips to the pharmacy. Those businesses are not being ordered to close. Restaurants will be able to continue offering carry-out service."

When Illinois closes it's State's borders and police patrol streets to ensure they are empty... that will be a stay at home order... and it may yet come to that.

Staying 20 feet (that's my safety perimeter) from anyone, whether at the field or not, is the new normal.

Michael

Everyone, please use common sense, but make sure you are strictly following government guidelines.

We can't control others, but we can control ourselves.

While risks may be very low in some circumstances, there are still risks.

If you are concerned about spreading or catching the virus, stay home.

TEMAC is still not officially open for the flying season.

Michael

Athol

Some useful links for those that fail to recognise the seriousness of Social Distancing...
https://youtu.be/n1OCZRann8w

https://twitter.com/DEANforDVW/status/1242135391723032579?s=09

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better!!!

An audio link to Dr. Michael Warner, the medical director of the intensive care unit (ICU) at Michael Garron Hospital (formerly Toronto East General Hospital) and chairs the critical care section of the Ontario Medical Association. It's quite lengthy (about 30 minutes) but worth listening to .

He says you are more likely to get Covid from your kids then from the hospital.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xRQSu2XXM4QUYBMAsy7k9DeYIMldYQwi/view

bfeist

Athol

Frank v B

I received this yesterday as an information piece sent to all national level referees for the sport of Triathlon.  A brilliantly simple explanation. All international races (Ironmans) were cancelled two weeks ago.

Tips to avoid contact - Recommendations from Dr. Patricio Avedaño (CHI)

Doctor Patricio Avendaño cardiologist from the Universidad de Chile who attends the German Clinic points out the tips to avoid contact:

The virus is not a living organism, but a protein (DNA) molecule covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and complications in aggressor and multiplier cells.
Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
The virus is very fragile, the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That's why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that's why you have to rub as much for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and decays on its own.
HEAT melts fat, that's why it's so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius to wash your hands, clothes and everything. Also, the hot water makes more foam and I already told you why it is good.
Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DOWNLOAD ANY FAT, especially the outer lipid layer of the virus.
Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
Oxygenated water helps much after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but it must be used purely and it hurts the skin."

Frank

Frank v B

Richard,

The "washing your hands for 20 sec. using soap and hot water and avoid using harsh chemicals." is the "HOW"
My post is the "WHY".

They are complimentary. ;)

Frank

Michael

Michael

Athol

What does it mean?