More sticks! Frank's Guillows Arrow RC.... Covid build

Started by Frank v B, March 23, 2020, 10:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmackenzie

Some more progress on mine.

To save weight I only wanted just enough centre sheeting to have material for the fairing to rest on.
I added two ribs, cut out using the scrap material from the kit as a template.

Then the 1/32 sheet fill was dry fitted. The way the spars overlap made for some strange angles and gaps, the latter were filled in after the sheeting was glued in.
For the front parts I was able to use some leftovers of the 1/32 formed sheet, the radius was just about perfect :)

In a similar way I also added a small area of sheeting on the front of the stab, to allow for the pop -up D/T.

Next up was to fit the fairing. The formers at the front and back were glued in earlier.
A fine point sharpie is close to the correct offset, so I simply held the fairing on top of the wing and layed the sharpie span wise and traced the airfoil onto the fairing.
(No picture, hope you can understand what I mean)
The excess was cut away, and the shape was close but  the fairing was sitting too high. Lots of sanding, test fitting, and the final fit is pretty good.
It is just resting in place in the picture, not glued to the wing yet. I still have to decide if I do this before or after covering.

As far as the rudder/stab joint, I think built to plans the joint between the rudder and the back of the fuse would provide most of the strength.
Because I want to have the pop-up stab, I am in a similar position that you are. The front sheeting on the stab will help, but I might double up the centre rib as well.

Very close to the point of starting to cover, but that might have to wait for a warmer day so I can crack open the shop door to let the dope fumes out.
Even though I am building in the garage, normally I would wait till no one else was home. But given what is going on, that might not be for quite a while.

I do have some "Risteen microlite" covering, a plastic film designed as a substitute for tissue and dope. But I think I will stick with the more traditional (and smelly) method :)

Here is a link, but I don't know if Skyhooks and Riggings is still in business. Anyone know? "Back in the day" it was one of the "go to" places for R/C micro indoor.
http://skyhooks.ca/covers.htm

Pat MacKenzie

Frank v B

Pat,
The cover over top of the wing looks really neat.  Still have to tackle mine.

Finished the covering.  This stuff is really light but easy to work with and very forgiving.  The colour scheme is not what I wanted but started with the wings and then realized I only had enough to cover the wings.  Wanted to split the reddish colour between the wing and the stab for visibility.

Used covering for the hinges.  The stab worked out well except the hinge could only be on the bottom because of the curve on the top surface from the center to the tips.

Now for final assembly.

I have decided not to add the landing gear because it would rip the fuse apart on anything but a perfect landing.... which are perfectly scarce. ;)
It will also save a lot of windage and weight just in case the 5 gram motor is marginal.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

pmackenzie

Frank, what covering are you using? Must be fairly light to work on such a light structure.

Frank v B

Pat,

I don't know the brand or make.  It did have backing plastic that was 3x as thick as the covering film!!  It came on rolls (not flat like Solarfilm Lite).  The only clue is that I found the empty paper tubes they were rolled onto.  One paper roll measured 24" wide, the other one was 26 1/4".  It came to me in a bundle of left-overs about 10 years ago that a friend gave to me when he exited the hobby.

It is much, much easier to work with than Monokote or Solarfilm.  It is about half the weight of transparent Monokote.  Two brands I have used in the past were Micalite and Microlite but that was years ago.

Frank

Frank v B

Starting the final assembly.

Photo 01- glued on the stab.  Set the plane 90 degrees to the countertop edge, removed the covering at the leading edge and trailing edge, put a dab of 5 minute epoxy on the exposed balsa in both places and set it on the fuse.  Easy to see it is at right angles and level.

Note: in the photo it showed it was not quite at 90 degrees so I went back and adjusted it.

Frank

davidk

Frank v B

David,  Thank you.  The lower our standards, the better it looks. ;D

Mistake!!
Tried to install the rudder and fin.  The stab is too far forward.  The bottom of the rudder hits the fuse.  Glued it in place anyway and will shorten the fuselage when the glue dries.

Frank

Frank v B

Connecting the pushrods.

On delicate planes, my favourite method is to cut horns from 1/32 plywood
- cut it with scissors and punch holes with a pin
- cut a slot in the wood on both the elevator and rudder with a #11 blade.  Slide it back and forth so the back side (thick) of the blade widens the slot
- center the servo with a servo tester
- center the elevator.  I used a balsa stick with a rubber band to hold it in the neutral position
- attach the pushrod to the servo
- bend the pushrod near where the horn is going to be.
- slip the plywood horn onto the pushrod
- a dab of 5 minute epoxy onto the slot and plywood horn.  It will automatically center itself.
- let it cure.  No adjustments necessary.  Automatically centered.

Next- install the motor and radio.

Photo 03-- the tail, the fin/rudder and the two plywood horns.
Photo 08 - shows the balsa and rubber band holding the elevator in neutral and the horns in place and drying.

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on March 31, 2020, 12:22:57 PM
Glued it in place anyway and will shorten the fuselage when the glue dries.
You will save a ton of weight by reducing the fuselage length, good decision!   ;)

Frank v B

Frank v B

Finished!!!!

Changed the motor to an E-Flite 180 on 2 cells.

Total weight 3.3 oz, 94 grams ready to fly with a 2 cell 200 mah battery.

Neat project, especially since I bought nothing- everything was in my shop.  The expense matched my income. 8)

Frank

ps: Talk about luck- the motor was free.  My wife and I were walking in Coronation Park in the heat of summer about 5 years ago. A gust of wind hit and out of the tree we were walking under, a crashed E-Flite Carbon Cub landed 5 feet in front of me.  It had been in the tree for a while and completely crushed.  Saved the motor and electronics.  This is the motor.  I believe! 8) 8)

bweaver

Wonderful.  That's another one to add to your list to maiden.  Aren't you really getting excited?  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)