More sticks! Frank's Guillows Arrow RC.... Covid build

Started by Frank v B, March 23, 2020, 10:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I cancelled all work this week for Covid reasons.  Over 50 of my good customers are medical doctors so I am on call for their home emergencies while they are on call to help save us.

Time to follow our fearless leader Michael again and build with sticks.  The main message is "if you are close to balsa, you are practising social distancing."  ;)

The Guillows Arrow- 28" span, rubber conversion to RC electric.  The preliminary plan is to build it and see the size of the fuse and then figure out how to power it.  I have about 5 small motors and esc's that could fit.

I bought the kit at the London Swap meet for about $8.00 which will match my income for this week. >:(

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

BJROB

Hey Frank this looks good :)
I really like the build by numbers idea... ;D
Could you show how that looks so we can make sure that you are following the numerical order :'(
Yes for you power builders have your order of build,,,, but,,,,  :P
Us (me) beginners would  follow the numerical order.... 8)
Just trying to put a challenge ::)
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

Cutting sticks.  Built the two fuse sides.

Funny how they have a "left" and "right".... because sometimes we need to be told. ;D

Frank

ps: the reason for the green tape on the knife handle- to stop it from rolling.

Frank v B

Just about to join the fuselage halves.

Those of you who have built these stick and tissue planes know that it is always a 1.5 build (BJ?, Vadim?).  Build and then re-build what you have just broken.
Added sticks across the grain of the formers to keep them from dumb-thumbs.

Frank

Frank v B

- fuse sides glued together, most of the formers in place.
- the round nose former was laminated on both sides with 1/32 ply so the motor can be screwed in place.

Once I get some of the stringers in place, I will start to figure out the motor and electronics.

Frank v B

The radio challenge.  A perspective.

Frank

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on March 25, 2020, 08:25:59 PM
The radio challenge.  A perspective.

Frank

What, are your fingers stuck where the radio equipment is going? You'll be able to get them out.

I've seen you install radio equipment is much smaller models.  Carry on!

GuyOReilly

Frank v B

Carrying on per Bruce...

Decided on the electronics from my horde collection of equipment.

Two Bluebird 303 servos, a brand new 6 amp, 2S max ESC and an AR6100 Spectrum receiver.  Total weight 17 grams or .6 oz.
To battle the breakage and allow the servos to be mounted, I lined the RC bay with 1/32 balsa, both sides and the bottom.

Photo 66- the electronics on the weigh scale.
Photo 67- the clamps hold the RX bay liner 1/32" balsa.
Photo 68- the radio equipment next to a nickel..... which is about my income this week. :'(

Once the plane is fully built I will decide on the power.  Yes, Simon, it will be electric.  Rubber power is waayyy too limiting. ;)

Frank

VadimKirillov

Quote from: Frank v B on March 25, 2020, 11:02:16 AM
Just about to join the fuselage halves.

Those of you who have built these stick and tissue planes know that it is always a 1.5 build (BJ?, Vadim?).  Build and then re-build what you have just broken.
Added sticks across the grain of the formers to keep them from dumb-thumbs.

Frank

you are very optimistic about 1.5 build factor, mine is closer to 2.5  ???  carpenters glue is a good choice for Isolation time, you get to see the glue dry...

Frank v B

Vadim,

re: "2.5"  My posts are not meant to be a truth serum.  The main thing is you crossed the finish line.  I'm still looking for it on this project. ;)

Photos show the servos in place.  I glued them to a piece of 3/32 balsa, let it cure.  Then glued the balsa to the fuse side.  Then glued all the stringers in place.  Stringers are the long thin fingery breaky parts.  The firewall is also in place.

Photo 69- shows the servos in place and the balsa stand-offs to which they are glued. Note the green clamps.  I love these.  They have a very light hold (no crush!).  You just have to cut the little registration point off each side of the gripper.  Dollarama $1.25 for two sizes, 15 clamps.  Best deal ever.
Note the tiny pink file.  It came in very handy to file the stringer slots.  From the Japanese Two Dollar store.

Photo 70- shows the stringers in place. Note the black foam in the bottom left.  I cut a piece off and stuffed it between the servos to gently push them up against the fuse side while the glue dried.  Couldn't get clamps down that far without crushing the balsa.

The wing and tail feathers are next.

Frank

Frank v B

The wing.

This kit tells you to follow the numbers* to establish the build sequence.  It wants you to start at one leading edge and work your way around the perimeter of the wing (right leading edge, left leading edge, two wingtip pieces, left trailing edge, right trailing edge, two right wingtip pieces)....then install the ribs on top of the bottom spar.  It will never work out because:

1) the wood is never exactly the same size as the plan
2) the die crushed ribs are never accurate.

Here is how I do it:
1) pin the leading edges in place
2) use two ribs, one at each end of each wing panel and push the trailing edge up to them.  Pin the TE in place..regardless of what the plan says.  Just pin the TE parallel to the drawing.
3) then install the two tip parts
4) install the centre lower spar where the slot is in the rib, regardless of what the plan indicates.
5) glue all the ribs in place.

Guaranteed all the joints will be tight.

The photo shows the perimeter pinned in place and the two ribs used to locate the trailing edge.

Frank

* Bruce thinks I can't follow the number sequence because I can't count past 21.

bweaver

Re: Guaranteed all the joints will be tight. They usually become tight after the glue cures anyways. For those of us who may do things differently, we may use various viscosities of glues.  Results the same? Maybe not quite, but nearly.

Re: * Bruce thinks I can't follow the number sequence because I can't count past 21. Bruce knows Frank can only count to 21 when totally naked.  Frank's difficulty counting up to 21 comes when he is fully clothed wearing mitts and shoes.  (With fingerless mitts and sandals, he can manage to 20.)

Frank, why do you ask for it?  :-\  ::)

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "Frank, why do you ask for it? "

..for the same reason you took the bait... because it is there.

Comic Covid Relief!! ;D

Frank

Frank v B

The wing is drying.

Once it is dry, the polyhedral breaks will be set.

Now off to do the stabilizer and rudder.  I have to add the moving parts (rudder, elevator) since the plans do not show them.

Frank