New project - West Wings Fournier RF4

Started by Michael, March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

This is a semi-scale model kit of a Fournier RF4, a motor-powered single person glider. The kit is about 10 years old, and is intended for a brushed 400 motor (I'm using brushless) and 3 channel operation. The wingspan is about 1500 mm (59"). The wood parts are CNC-cut (cut by machine instead of die-cut or laser-cut), and some hardware is included.

(I can't believe my wife is letting me get away with building model airplanes all day while she's so busy cleaning up the whole house, and cooking fantastic meals!)

Michael

Michael

The kit does not have landing gear, but the full size has a single retractable wheel.

I have a small retract that I will use. I already programmed my radio so the retract toggle switch will function on the fourth channel (I'm using a 4-channel receiver); the model does not have ailerons, and that's how I'll build it. I fly other 3-channel gliders (no ailerons) with ease.

The wing is supposed to be held on with elastics, but I will have to cut out part of the center wing to suit the retracted wheel. I will re-enforce the center of the wing, and permanently attach/glue it to the fuselage fuselage for more strength.

Michael

Michael

Construction started. Interior fuselage framing.

Michael

Michael

The wheel retracts forward. It's going to be a tight fit, but I still like the idea. Then again, one non-retracting wheel hanging down wouldn't look so bad either. We'll see.

Michael

bweaver

Quote from: Michael on March 31, 2020, 06:10:42 PM
The wheel retracts forward. It's going to be a tight fit, but I still like the idea. Then again, one non-retracting wheel hanging down wouldn't look so bad either. We'll see.

It's so much easier when you can lay it all out on paper...   ::)

Great project/even greater wife.  :) :) :)

sihinch

I remember seeing an aerobatic pair of RF4s at an airshow in the UK, doing a display to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" in about 1985/86.   :)

This is going to be a model I can't wait to see Michael.  Thanks for posting the build info.

msatin

Looks like a fun build Michael
I've noticed in your build pics you use a sheet of insulation and what appears to be a hobby mat to assemble on
I'd rather not go into a store at this time, so looking to order a base to go on my table.
Could cork be a substitute?
Thanks
You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

I use the cutting board for cutting; it also has measurements and angles to help.

I do assembling and gluing on wax-paper-covered plans/styrofoam.
Michael

Michael

After careful examination of the formers and the construction, I am giving up on the retractable wheel idea.

As it is, there is no battery hatch on the plane, and the battery is supposed to be installed when the wing is taken off. I don't like that. I will figure out how to make a hatch.

Also, the wing is to be held on with elastics. I'll change that too.
Michael

octagon

Quote from: msatin on March 31, 2020, 11:37:02 PM
Looks like a fun build Michael
I've noticed in your build pics you use a sheet of insulation and what appears to be a hobby mat to assemble on
I'd rather not go into a store at this time, so looking to order a base to go on my table.
Could cork be a substitute?
Thanks

Hi Mark. What I like to use is a sheet of drywall. It holds pins well, is dead flat and is cheap. When the first side gets covered in glue and paint and whatever else, I simply turn it over and have a whole new side.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Mark,

I use drywall as well.  I draw a straight line on it with a black Sharpie and a metal ruler.  I use the line to join fuselage halves so they stay true and for spars when building a wing.

The most important part is not the final surface but the surface on which the drywall sits.  It needs to be absolutely flat*.  I use the cheapest flat surface available- a new masonite door from the Re-Store for $20.00.  It is surprisingly tough to find a true used door.  Doors that have been used eventually conform to the crookedness of their frames.
For cutting wood, I use the same green cutting board as Michael.

FWIIW,

Frank

* it does not have to be level.... just flat and true.
"Never trade luck for skill"

msatin

Thanks for the feedback gents
I will have to see what I can source and actually get home in the short term.
Home depot is still offering curbside pick-up.
You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

Formers into fuselage sides.
Michael

Michael

Adapting the model for a brushless motor, and making an access hatch has taken a lot of careful planning and work. So far, so good.

Michael

Michael

Sheeting on rear fuselage top.
Michael