E-Flite Valiant 10cc ARF (Power 60) build for a customer

Started by Frank v B, April 16, 2020, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

After this morning's meeting (stand-off) with Mark Satin, I picked my next assignment at John's Hobbies.
It is the E-Flite 10cc size Valiant by E-Flite.  It is an ARF.  The power is an E-Flite Power 60.
A Covid Christmas for me. ;D

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtATSfGB4Ug
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Michael

Question: Why go to a bigger/heavier motor/battery combination than recommended?

Did the client ask for that?
Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

This customer usually doubles the recommended power. The last 3 planes I have assembled for him have been powered by exactly double the recommended power.  When he punched one to take off, the motor left and the plane stayed behind.  I talked to him and gave him my opinion that E-Flite/Hanger 9 planes fly perfectly as designed when using the recommended power.  The recommended power here is a 46.  Installing a 60 is considered a victory.

Remember, the customer is always right. ;)

Frank

msatin

Is the customer's name by any chance Tim "the tool man" Taylor?
More Power - ARRHH ARRHH ARRHH :)
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Mark,

re: 'Tim "the tool man" Taylor?'

Tim only more-powers his stuff. ;D

Frank

Frank v B

Back to work

1) The motor was not a Power 60 but the OS equivalent.  I checked the data and it is OS' Power 60 equivalent but a bit snarlier (slightly higher KV).
2) Making the motor installation stronger.  If the owner goes 5 or 6 cells it is likely to keep the prop level and spin the plane around its axis. ;D  The danger is punching the throttle.  The torque could rip it apart.

To strengthen the motor mounting box I added the following:
i) added  1/8" plywood to both sides of the box.
ii) added an extra brace inside the box.  It is off-centre because the wiring needs to run through the holes.
iii) wrapped Kevlar thread (yellow in colour) in epoxy around all 4 edges.  4-5 wraps each end.  The joints in the original box will never let go.  See photo 58.
iv) added two 1/8" plywood bearers under the box. (photo 56).  Attached to the bottom of the motor mount with two pieces of tri stock. Visible in photo 59.  The photo shows one of the two bearers installed.

Frank

Frank v B

The motor is in permanently.  Triple reinforced motor mount. 

This plane is a motor mount with wings attached. ;)

The photos show the extra plywood, extra brace inside the motor box, the extra tri-stock, the kevlar thread.
The wings are done ( 4 servos in, hinges are in for the two flaps and ailerons).

Frank

Frank v B

Landing gear- the small wheels (2.25") came with the kit.  The large ones (4.25) were requested.  Good news- that means no tedious wheel pants ("spats" for Simon H. ;D).  The LG had to be drilled out for the larger axles.  Photo 62

Installing the cowl.

Step 1- Make a cowl spacer out of scrap wood.  I used 3/32 hard balsa.  Cut a slot into it. This is slipped between the cowl and the spinner backplate.  It is the horse shoe shaped piece of wood in the photo.  It automatically puts the correct spacing between the two.
Step 2- add 4 strips of paper and tape them on the aft end.  Photo 63
Step 3- mark the the screw holes on the paper so that it hits the firewall (red dot).  Photo 63
Step 4- slide the cowl on under the pieces of paper and insert the wood spacer.  Photo 64.
Step 5- drill a pilot hole at the red dot.  Guaranteed to be in the correct place.
Step 6- Enlarge the cowl holes so the screw fits loosely and install.

I did one half at a time to make sure the alignment was correct.

Frank

Frank v B

Stab, fin elevator, rudder and tail wheel in place.
The triangle is taped to keep the fin 90 degrees to the stab while the 5 minute epoxy dries.

Frank

Frank v B

Finished!!

This is a superb kit.  Everything fit perfectly.

Frank