New project - West Wings Fournier RF4

Started by Michael, March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

The fuselage is supposed to be finished before proceeding, but I like to make sure the control system is in place first, so I started the tail 'feathers' before sheeting the fuselage bottom. This way, I can set up all the linkages to the tail and secure the pushrod sleeves in place, while I have access to the fuselage interior.

I may also complete the wing before completely finishing the fuselage.
Michael

bfeist

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Ben,

I would like Maidenfest to be "clearance to travel" plus 1 week.  Michael is rushing to beat it. ;)

This sure is a weird new normal.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Maybe not to beat it, but certainly going for the "Most Planes Built" category.

We need to create categories for Maidenfest honours:
Most built
Biggest build
Smallest build
Fastest Build (Honour System)
Slowest Build
Best Repair (before and after pics submitted)

Michael

I've started on the wing. The weirdest thing is, although the parts fit is nearly perfect and the assembly is elegant, the instructions call for the wing halves to be simply butt-glued to each other, without any kind of brace.

I will definitely modify this with 2 thin plywood dihedral braces, one in front and one in back of the upper and lower hardwood spars.

Michael

octagon

looking forward to seeing it fly Michael. Looks great.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Wing: basic construction done. Webbing installed and wing tips carved/sanded.
Michael

Michael

Customized center-section: Plywood box built round the hardwood spars, and a plywood dihedral brace fashioned.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Great build.

I give up.  Why the silver goblet??  To hold pins, chocolate, wine, stronger spirits??   ???

We have been totally outclassed.  All I can manage is an empty Tim's cup. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

It's a dessert cup.

My wife is cleaning and reorganizing the whole house, and is occasionally giving me broken things to fix.

The stem/pedestal was broken off the cup.
Michael

Georgetsigaridis

How did you determine the dihedral angle Michael? Was that in the plans?

Michael

Yes, the dihedral angle was on the plans; specifically marked 6 degrees each wing.

Michael

Michael

Wings glued together, 2 dowels glued into the front edge of the wing, and matching holes in a piece of plywood in the fuselage.

Michael

Michael

A plywood plate is secured in the fuselage under (on top?) of the rear wing, holes drilled and then tapped to match nylon screws. Thin plywood glued on the wing, and then holes drilled for the screws.

(Photos are not in order, but are named/numbered in order.)
Michael