New project - West Wings Fournier RF4

Started by Michael, March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

fuselage under wing.

Michael

Michael

Pushrods, linkages, horns, etc., installed, and braces in the fuselage placed to keep the pushrod sleeves in place.

Fairings at rear fuselage at fin-stabilizer.

A little 'imagineering', without cowl cheeks and canopy, and then some more sanding before covering.

Michael

msatin

The pic with the assembled plane really puts it into persepctive
Very nice!
You never fail until you stop trying

sihinch

electroflyer

Hey Michael,
I think I have the same kit. How long have you had yours?

Glenn

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Looking great.

I made a similar size but lighter 3 channel Fournier (5' span) from British plans for an .049 before I joined TEMAC.  It would not fly.  In fact it did a flip into the ground (tall grass).
Then I changed it to a speed 400 geared and it flew fine at TEMAC.

Lessons learned:

1) Reduce elevator throws.  This is a very short-coupled airplane.  Travel- normal x .5!
2) Make it nose heavy because it is short-coupled.  A rearward CG starts major galloping.
3) Have significant rudder throw because of the long wings and short fuse (leverage).
4) Add wash-out... both wings*!- the first flight had slight wash-in on the left wing (it flipped left)
5) Make gentle turns until you get used to the plane.  I gave it a sharp left turn into the wing with wash-in.  The good wing was advancing (outside circle therefore faster airflow over the wing) and the left (bad) wing was receding with slower airflow (reduced lift) over the flat-bottomed wing.  The perfect storm for a flip.

It's a fun airplane.

For what it is worth.

Frank

* wash-out is when the trailing edge is higher than the leading edge of the wing. (twist)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

All great ideas, which I will incorporate.

Thanks, Frank!
Michael

Michael

I cut out the molded cowl cheeks, but was not happy with how they fit onto the fuselage, so I carved/shaped new ones out of balsa.

They fit well and look good on the fuselage, along with minor changes to the cowl.

I put magnets on the front and rear faces of the battery hatch. and corresponding areas on the fuselage. It works quite well.

Michael

Michael

Covering started.
Michael

Michael

Phase 1 covering finished.

Michael

Michael

Phase 2 covering started.

Cowl and cowl-cheeks.

Michael

Michael