Gerald's Covid build - Guillow's FW 190 rubber band kit

Started by Frank v B, April 06, 2020, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Gerald's Christmas present was the new E-Flite Cherokee.  Since he was off work he decided to put it together.  His partner Diane who bought the present was disappointed because "The Cherokee went together with a few screws in about 12 minutes."  Gerald's post read "My significant other thought she was buying me something that would keep me busy for a month.  I guess next time I'll get a box of wood. ;) ;)". 

My reply was "I have a package for you that is guaranteed to keep Gerald busy for a month.  He will be begging for freedom by the end.  I suspect you are looking for this kind of project. I will have the package ready for Monday morning and it will be complete so there will not be any excuses."  A "Modeler's Covid Remediation Kit.".

Gerald just picked up his package.  It contained:

- Guillow's FW 190 NIB balsa kit
- a drywall building board
- a Princess Auto model knife kit
- a bag of pins
- bag of round toothpicks for applying glue
- a sheet of waxed paper
- two spare #11 X-Acto blades in case he has a knife handle.

It is to be built as a rubber band model and must fly at least 15' when we finally have our MaidenFest.

No excuses!

Oh, yes, he is required to post updates on the Forum at least every two days.

Frank 8)
"Never trade luck for skill"

msatin

Looking good Gerald!
Looking forward to seeing your progress
I've ordered a couple of Stevens Aero models, that I hope will arrive in the next couple of days.
I also finished the TH Crack Yak
You never fail until you stop trying

Gerald Danen

Well here we go!  Thanks very much Frank.  I haven't built a tissue covered model since 1973 or so.  Can one still buy Dope?
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

msatin

I won't make the obvious joke :)
You sure can.
Great Hobbies has a pretty good selection
You never fail until you stop trying

GuyOReilly

@Gerald Danen , concerning you comment: "Can one still buy Dope?"  There are stores specializing in this product...  But some hobby shops still carry the butyrate or nitrate types.  Last time I bought some MidWest Product Aero Gloss Clear was 4 years ago.  Very hard to find, stores do not carry, I heard because of some import issue.

Michael

Very generous of you, Frank!

This will be fun to watch.
Michael

Frank v B

Gerald,

Here is a video on how to cover a rubber model with tissue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9UR2fXugY

Also, refer to Michael's post on his Pietenpol model.  I believe he used watered down white glue instead of dope.

Frank

Gerald Danen

Thanks for the video Frank, I'm sure it will come in handy soon.

I spent some time today reading the little primer booklet that was included in the box.  Brought back memories of my first kit builds from many moons ago.

Detaching all parts from the die cut sheets took longer than expected even though I did sand the backs of the sheets to help release the pieces.  Patience is key and I only experienced one breakage which was easily glued back together.  I'll photocopy the plan to preserve the original as the next step involves pinning and gluing directly on the plan (with wax paper between).

Gerald Danen

I have done some gluing and sanding...these pieces are Tiny!
The process of building is reminiscent of the Red Arrow that I built a few years ago...I should repair that glider one of these years.  This little kit should provide the inspiration.

Gerald Danen

Sorry, that should read Red Eagle, not Red Arrow. 

Gerald Danen

PROGRESS!  However forward momentum may slow a bit as I have gone back to work today.

piker

Nice!  I remember those sheets cut into sticks that come with the Guillows kits.  A cool way to supply small strip wood.

Robert

Gerald Danen

Slowly but surely these tiny pieces of balsa are coming together and starting to look like something that may fly one day.  On to the wing.  Diane is "happy" with the length of time it's taking me!

Frank v B

Gerald,

Keep going!!  It's rewarding..or it will be.

re: your statement "Diane is "happy" with the length of time it's taking me!" 

I pick a $250 airplane for you as a Christmas present and I get $hit that it only took 15 minutes to put together.  I give you a Guillow's kit that I bought at a swap meet for $8.00 and she is "happy".  I give up!... but at least she is happy. 

Women should come with instructions.  Oops, no.  Men don't read instructions. ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D 8)

Frank