Unboxing and “building” the Piper Cherokee

Started by Gerald Danen, April 04, 2020, 01:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald Danen

Well, I've been at home from Home Depot's Innovation Centre for the last week (we were deemed non-essential) and have caught up on the multitude of outstanding household chores.  I can now turn my attention to the fleet of unbuilt and unrepaired airplanes scattered around the house and in the garage.  I have started with the E-Flite Piper Cherokee Diane got me for Christmas...see attached photos.  This shouldn't take too long :-[

For those of you needing anything at Home Depot, all locations will close to walk-in customers at 11:59pm tonight.  We are only taking online orders for delivery or curbside pickup.  Get your warwing materials today!
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Gerald Danen

Well, all done but no place to go fly.   My significant other thought she was buying me something that would keep me busy for a month.  I guess next time I'll get a box of wood. ;) ;)

Btw, the recommended specific receiver (Spektrum AR637) for this model that employs Safe Technology features, is $140.00.  Me thinks I will just use a regular 6 channel receiver. >:( :(

GuyOReilly

Glad to see that there is a pilot.  I just think that it is more realistic that way.  Someone has to fly the plane!
Guess maiden flight will be sometime in the fall?  ;)

Michael

Michael

octagon

Good Job Gerald. Looks Great. I had the chance to fly a Cherokee once. Nice plane.
What could possibly go wrong?

BJROB

Hey Gerald the plane looks great...
You might check out Flite Test they have a new setup for contrôlée flite
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Wingnutz

Hi Gerald,
I sure hope it's earlier than fall, but I think that may be right.
$140 is silly expensive for a receiver...perhaps a Lemon 6 channel with three axis stabilization for around $35?
DSMx compatible and they've worked flawlessly for me.
In addition to building and flying model airplanes, I'm a wannabe full-size pilot with a couple of hundred hours. I've dabbled at ownership and came very close to buying the Cherokee 140 below last December...
Your model reminded me of it...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Gerald Danen

Wow, looks exactly like my model!  Thanks for the advice on the receiver.  Is it a Hobby King product?

When do you anticipate you'll acquire the full size version?  It would be neat to take a photo of my model sitting on your wing.

Frank v B

I feel like I let Gerald's significant other down. 

She called me before Christmas and asked which plane would be good for Gerald.  With Roger's help (John's Hobbies) we picked this one.  I gave her a guarantee that if Gerald didn't like it I would buy it from him.

Gerald just finished assembling it and wrote in this post "My significant other thought she was buying me something that would keep me busy for a month.  I guess next time I'll get a box of wood. ;) ;)"

Gerald is coming over in about half an hour to pick up a Modeler's Covid Remediation Kit.  I will post photos when he comes to pick it up.... from outside my front door....observing the 2 meter rule.*  The new post: http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=7420.msg49852#msg49852

Frank

* that means he can't hit me. ;D ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

Quote from: Gerald Danen on April 05, 2020, 10:41:51 PM
Wow, looks exactly like my model!  Thanks for the advice on the receiver.  Is it a Hobby King product?

When do you anticipate you'll acquire the full size version?  It would be neat to take a photo of my model sitting on your wing.
Hi Gerald,
No, Lemon is not sold by HK, but is a direct competitor for HK's Orange rx line...(not sure why the preoccupation with citrus fruit names!)
You have to order direct from Lemon in Hong Kong and with the political unrest there, my last order was pretty slow arriving...now, with Covid, who knows? Shipping is pretty cheap.
Here's the one I think would be useful
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=131
It says it's a seven channel, but count on six...still more than your Cherokee will need.
Lemons don't come with written instructions and initial setup can be puzzling but you have a wonderful resource of knowledgeable pilots at TEMAC...Oscar and Simon, Michael, Bruce come to mind on tech stuff. However, maybe right now, Covid considered, RCGroups thread on Lemon stab receivers
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2164243-The-official-Lemon-stabilizer-receiver-thread-NEW-USERS-read-first-8-posts-%29
might be a good choice.  If you get one and get stuck drop me an email or PM here.

As to the full size,... not FIQO, the Cherokee in the photo. It's a 1973 with low hours that's been hangared all its life and the only a/c I've seen of that age that looked ...cosmetically perfect! At least a 9 inside and out, but only minimal hours logged since the last engine overhaul some ten years ago. Airplane engines, do not weather well if they sit unused leaving a huge question mark hanging over the internal condition of the engine...I passed...twice.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

octagon

Hi Gerald. I agree with Bill, Lemon's seem to be pretty solid. Greathobbies sells them too.
What could possibly go wrong?