An ambitious project - scratch-built Avro York

Started by Michael, April 14, 2020, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

While I'm still 'locked up' here at home, I'm going to try something I've never done before. I'm going to try to scratch-build a 72" wingspan, 4-motor Avro York, as in the image here. It will be built of balsa and ply, and will have retracts. It will be finished in vintage Transair (Canada) colours.

I picked the size because I have 4 motors and 2 retracts that should be appropriate for a model of this size.

Any comments before I start?
Michael

Frank v B

Oh wow!

And it looks like it has a triple tail like the coolest 4 engine airplane ever built.... the Lockheed Constellation.

A description of the Avro York  https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1642

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Awesome!  Do you have plans or are you going to "wing it"?

Interesting.  I'm not familiar with the plane.

Michael

I am going to 'wing it'.

The Avro York was a post WW2 modified version of the Lancaster, converted to transport or for passengers.

It was also used for a time as business/personal planes for world leaders, Winston Churchill, for example.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Great Project!
I will be starting a Lancaster as soon as the Minimoa is finished.
I have 3 sets of plans and I am willing to let one go if you would need one.
The wingspan is 74 inches.
The plans were done by Paragon DPI 2 weeks ago.
What is your planned power system? 
Thank you and assistance with the power requirements and system set-up would be appreciated.
Guy

sihinch

Awesome project Michael. Wow! I'm so impressed.

Michael

Thanks Guy, that PDF will help. I don't think I'll need full size plans as I will sort of make-it-up as I go along.

I'm using 4 identical E-Flite motors taken from Convergence models, which are about the power of speed 400 brushed motors.
They'll be powered by a 3-cell lipo pack. I intend to build lightly.

A great Canadian modeller, Laddie Mikulasko used to build large model airplanes, but relatively light, and power them with multiple speed 400 motors.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Thank You @Michael , I will search for that motor.  Looks about the right size for the Lancaster.
Let me know if you change your mind about the plans.
I do not know the weight of this model as there is no indication on the plan.
I too will attempt a light build.
Guy

Michael

I'm not sure that motor is available. I think any speed 400 size brushless outrunner that spins a small enough prop (8 to 9") should be ok.
Michael

Michael

I'm going to use some of the techniques I used in building my Canadair Waterbomber in order to build as lightweight as pragmatically possible.

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6798.0.html

The wing will be one piece. It might be a bit cumbersome with four motors, but at a wingspan of six feet, it shouldn't be too hard to store or transport.

The fuselage will essentially be a lightweight, built-up hollow box.
Michael

Michael

Plenty of room in the inner nacelles.

Michael

sihinch

Can I make a suggestion - don't hold the retracts in with masking tape.  They will fall out!  ;D

GuyOReilly

Question for @Michael or @Frank v B or @bruce
Would this motor, multiplied by 4 be adequate for a 6 pound Lancaster?
https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=CSCA22121000

Price is right...  I just want power that is not marginal.
It swings an 11-inch by 4.5 prop.  I would prefer an 8-inch, 3 bladed one for scale effect.
Thank you for your assistance.

Michael

In order to swing a smaller prop and still produce enough thrust, you would need a motor with a higher KV number.

Maybe, just maybe, a 3-blade prop, maybe like 8/6, or 9/6 cut down to 8/6 might work.

I'm not really sure.

This motor can produce 300 watts, so 4 motors can produce 1200 watts, way more than enough power, but they're expensive.
https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=EFLM1205

Michael

GuyOReilly

I am starting a new Blog called Lancaster 74 Inches.
Some of the posts will be copied there.
Thank you for your insightful comments Michael, Frank and Bruce.