An ambitious project - scratch-built Avro York

Started by Michael, April 14, 2020, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Questions for @Michael as I am planning my set-up for the Lancaster:
1- Did you use one ESC per motor?
2- Did you use "Y" connectors to link all ESC to one motor channel of the receiver?
3- I understand that you used one large battery.  What is the wiring diagram to the motors?

Thank you, trying to learn from the expert.
Guy

Michael

Quote from: GuyOReilly on June 09, 2020, 02:51:14 PM
Questions for @Michael as I am planning my set-up for the Lancaster:
1- Did you use one ESC per motor?
2- Did you use "Y" connectors to link all ESC to one motor channel of the receiver?
3- I understand that you used one large battery.  What is the wiring diagram to the motors?

Thank you, trying to learn from the expert.
Guy

1. One ESC per motor. All motors wired in parallel; not in series.
2. 3 Y connectors, all into the throttle channel.
3. I'll make a drawing and post it later.

4. I also used a separate BEC to power the receiver since I'm using the equivalent of 12 servos (that includes the retracts and 4 ESCs). I'll include that in the drawing.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Michael

2nd and 3rd flights.

Photos by Glenn N.

Michael

Gregor77

Just caught a bit of the flight and the landing. Just amazing.

Michael

Quote from: GuyOReilly on June 09, 2020, 03:22:43 PM
Thank you @Michael
Pictures will be very useful.

Ask any questions.

Anyone can feel free to verify or find errors.

Michael

Gregor77

Michael

Quote from: Gregor77 on June 09, 2020, 07:34:30 PM
Do the esc have internal BEC?

Yes, but they don't have enough power for the number of servos, retracts and throttles.

Some say to cut the red wire, of the 3-radio wires, that plugs into the throttle slot, to avoid interference, but I didn't, and am having no problems.
Michael

Gregor77

My understanding is the red wire should be cut. As you said. It can mess with the voltage to the RX. Especially if running an external BEC.

GuyOReilly

Thank you for your drawing @Michael , now let me see if I understand this correctly... ???

1- The Y Connectors only have the signal (blue) wire active and going to the receiver in the motor channel.
2- The other 2 wires are cut between the receiver and the ESCs.
3- The red are all wired/soldered together.
4- The blacks are all wired/soldered together.
5- There are 2 colours crossing over for the right side motors so they can run in reverse.
6- Deans (or other types of connector) is needed between the battery and the BEC.
7- The BEC connects in the BATT position of the receiver and has a MALE Dean (or other connector type) to the battery.
8- The motors should run as soon as the battery is connected AND the transmitter motor position in a position other than in the OFF position.  If the transmitter is at idle or off position, no signal in the blue wire goes to the ESCs, therefore the motors are not turning.
Let me know if this is accurate.
Once again, a picture is really simple to understand, thank you.
Guy

Michael

The blue lines represent the 3-wire radio leads (except the small ones at the motors). If you want, you can cut the red wire, but the other 2 must be connected to the receiver. As mentioned, I didn't cut any on mine.

The BEC simply has to tap into the battery for power. It doesn't really matter where this happens.

Again, the blue lines are 3 wire radio leads.
Michael

Michael

I split the diagram into 2 diagrams: motor-wiring and radio-wiring.

The BEC is shown in both diagrams.

The blue wire in the wiring-diagram represents the 3-wires from servos, throttles, retracts, etc. You do not have to cut anything.

If you want, some people suggest to cut the red (orange wire) to prevent interference, but I didn't cut anything, and I have no problems.

Michael

GuyOReilly

@Michael Thank you for taking the time to explain this rather simple thing to me. :-[
I now understand it fully and I am confident with the wiring that will be required.
The servo wires and Y connectors are all standard sizes.
The rest of the wire will be the same size as the battery or ESC.
I am looking forward to starting my project, once Minimoa is finished...  One big project at the time!  ;D
Guy

Michael

I hope the diagrams are not confusing; I didn't imply anything about wire sizes. In fact, wire gauge, length, types of connectors, etc., should be based on the requirements of your own power system.

When you get to that point in your construction, feel free to ask questions.
Michael

Michael

A few more recent images.

Michael