Flight instruction is cancelled until further notice

Started by Michael, May 15, 2020, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Due to the new COVID19 restrictions, and because flight training requires close contact (less than 2 meters) for several minutes at a time, all flight training is cancelled until further notice.

This is one of the requirements the law enforcement officer recommended.

Michael

Frank v B

Thank you Michael.

This is in effect even if you have a BlueTooth link between transmitter and buddy box.

The cordless link may allow further distancing than with a cable but the verbal part of the instruction process will be hampered.  Also, we can't both be upwind of each other, except on a complete cross wind... when you wouldn't want to be attempting your first take-off or landing.

Those of you who have received instruction from me before know my severe dislike for this technology when teaching low-time student pilots.  I fly along with the student in order to instantly make last second decisions, especially on take-off and landing.  The instant the instructor touches the sticks, the link is lost.  In my opinion the technology was designed by a geek who never talked to a seasoned instructor and never instructed anyone.... successfully.

As an instructor it is easy to blame a crash on a student but I have re-built, or offered to rebuild, every airplane damaged on my watch and will continue to do so in the future.  My repair workload has been very light over the last 30 years, even counting equipment failures*.  Five years ago when the Ryerson Apprentice went into SAFE mode two minutes into the second flight and lazily circled towards New York never to be seen again, I wrote Horizon Hobbies and asked them to replace it.  They called me ....and did.

There.  I said my peace.

Frank

* servo failures, in-air power out on take-off (IC engines), dead-sticks and mid-air loss of props......yes, they happen.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gerald Penz

Hi Michael

Is training a write-off for this year or are we staying optimistic for a late start?

Regards
Gerald Penz

Michael

Of course we're optimistic.

So far, we've been open about a week. We've had no significant problems so far, but I'm not ready to push for changes at this point in time.

We'll monitor updates and changes to the provincial guidelines.

Depending on the trainee, tables, close discussion and close-distancing are required, so we have to take this issue very seriously before we make any decisions.

The final decision will rest with Frank, our Chief Flight Instructor.
Michael

Gerald Penz

Frank v B

Gerald,

We need to see how long they keep the 6 foot physical distancing requirement.  Instruction is done at about 2 feet until the student can stay in the air by himself.  Then the verbal part is not as important as stick time.

We have only been flying for a week and are still trying to make sure everyone is safe and the by-law officer trusts our behaviour.

It is a rolling decision.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"