A beautiful flying day Thursday May 21

Started by Frank v B, May 21, 2020, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Five of us* conspired to meet at the field this afternoon.  Andy was put in charge of the weather and he knew his stuff.  The wind was light and slightly cross......probably because Andy didn't know where due south was.

Michael maidened the Avro Arrow.  It didn't like the takeoff dolly so it spit it out.  It hand-launched twice and trimmed out fine.

I maidened my Knox .40 size re-build and it was a challenge.  Fighting trim all the way.  Used full "down" trim and it still looped.  Had to fly level with about 1/4" down elevator as neutral.  Took off fine, power was fine and landing was fine.  Will add down trim, nose weight and give the motor down thrust.

My Stinson Voyager (the build post "death by 100 sticks") maiden went fine, took off at half throttle (54" span!, only a 150 watt motor, 3 cell 800 mah battery) and then started bucking.  Landed fine.  The battery had shifted back 8".  You think the CG was off?

Photo report.

35- Mr. Technology- Alex wired for some serious flying.
36- Glenn contemplating another hard day at work.
37- Dave wondering what this switch was for.
38- Michael's Arrow before the maiden flight
39- Andy photo-bombing Michael's photo.  I asked Andy to act his age and this is what he came up with. ;)
41- Michael and the Arrow dolly.
42- Andy, your wife paid me to get you out of the house.  I demand a pay increase.
43- Rob keeping track of Glenn flying time with his new sundial.
44- Alex doing some serious flying with his pattern Bipe.
45- I asked Andy to show us his best side.... a butt-crack smile under a khaki Covid mask.
46- ...but then what is this switch for?  Dave getting closer to flying.
47- my Stinson Voyager before the maiden and the CG shift.
49- Peter with his heavy iron..... sorry... heavy balsa.

Frank

* Dave, Michael, Rob, Andy and me.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

A fine day of photographic torment!

Photo report v.2 (more to follow):

2095 - Frank praying for deliverance from Andy.  (Good luck with that!)
2098 - Frank losing it after realizing that his prayers have gone unanswered.  (Certain deities have a great sense of humour!)
2102 - Frank winging it on the Knox 0.40 air guitar.
2104 - Michael and his new scratchbuilt Avro Arrow
2106 - That looks about right!
2110 - Michael's Avro Arrow with scratchbuilt disposable launch dolly
2116 - Another disposable launcher
2118 - Frank takes a deep breath before blowing Michael's Arrow into the air
2118.trim - Notice the elegant poise.
2124 - Frank reviewing his landing attitude
2129, 2130, 2131 - Frank executing his text-book three-point landing.  Picture perfect!
2132 - Frank contemplating the demise of the photographer.

Michael

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Photo report v.2 - continued (more to follow):

2138, 2139, 2140 - Beautiful touch and go sequence by Dave Kates.
2146 - Rob trying out Frank's final approach method.
2149 - Frank in an unusual and seldom captured straight and level attitude
2163 - Frank having scared everyone out of the sky
2184 - Rob meditating on the flight line
2265 - Rob sporting his personal wind direction indicator
2196 - Glenn's and Rob's T28s exchanging greetings
2214 - Glenn's beautifully flown T28
2273 - Frank sporting his new line of Maidenwear, featuring a mil-spec balsa bits tote bag

Andy Hoffer

Photo report v.2 - continued:

2253 - Michael Rogozinsky's Laddie Mikulasko Aero Polaris North Star (perfectly presented to the camera by Michael's expert flying)
2266 - Frank's interpretation of wing loading
2267 - Frank and his beautifully restored Knox Hawkshaw 40-size plane
2279 - Frank's Knox Hawkshaw 40 playing dead in a desperate attempt to avoid being maidened by Frank.
2283, 2287 - The Hawkshaw 40 finally makes a last-ditch run for it
2290 - Frank's gorgeous Knox Hawkshaw 40 lives to fly another day. Beautifully done Frank.  I love the colour scheme. (Glad to see it pushing up dandelions instead of balsa daisies!  8))

Andy

Frank v B

Mr. Hoffer,

Errata (probably bait ;)) : "Michael Rogozinsky's Laddie Mikulasko Aero Polaris (perfectly presented to the camera by Michael's expert flying)"

North Star. 

Frank

ps: Jack bought the kit at the London Swap meet the last time it was held at the exhibition place.  He and I walked over to the guy.  I spied the Nooner kit and bought it for something like $40.  Jack spied the North Star kit at the same time and egged him on to buy it for some ridiculous price for the balsa.  Great to see Michael flying it.  Jack is smiling.

Andy Hoffer

I had to give you something to chew on!  :)

Andy

Frank v B

Chomp!   ;)

Just because I was a model airplane builder way before (1961) Laddie published his Northstar design in RCM magazine in 1986.... likely many years before you discovered the existence and purpose of balsa. ;) ;) ;)

This thing about history repeating itself...  Two posts from Jan 15, 2014 starting at 7:55 pm about the Northstar build:

Andy's post:

Jack, you're awfully quiet all of a sudden!... 

Jack, are you OK?.....

Jack? Are you in there?  Speak to us Jack!! .........................

Mary, could you please check on Jack!!  Wear a respirator, just in case .....

Andy

-------------------------------

Our dear Friend Jack's answer at 9:52 pm that same evening....

"I was looking for intelligent technical responses not fatuous comment that was beneath my dignity to respond.

So there! LOL.

Enough of that, on with the build."

------------------------------
Andy, who is wearing the respirator now?  How did you know back then that Covid was coming and respirators were required?  Oh, yes, Mita told you. 8) 8)

Your best friend

Frank

Andy Hoffer

I see you have discovered barrel swishing. 

Very good! 

Andy   8)

Frank v B

Yes Andy, every barrel still has a bottom. 8) 8)

Frank

ps: it's sooo good to have you back.

Frank v B

Last year and this year Andy asked me why I inflate my cheeks during a hand launch* as caught on his photo 2118 launching Michael's Arrow.

Just pressurizing the steam catapult in the launch mechanism (right arm).

I won't tell you where the post launch steam vent is located.

Frank

* well, in reality they were snide comments loosely and politely translated here.

Andy Hoffer

@Frank v B's launch behaviours are just the latest in a long line of exquisite evolutionary developments.

Very Cheeky!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Could you please stop comparing me to the rest of my family, no matter what level of development they are on the evolutionary scale. ;D ;D ;D  (I notice you put me at the bottom)

Where did you get the photo of my not-so-great great grandfather?  See photo of the Orangutan. 8)

I do not consider myself a victim of Andy's mind.  I consider Andy to be a victim of Covid.... too much time on his hands.   ;) ;)

Keep trying but go flying.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 24, 2020, 03:32:12 PM
Andy,

Could you please stop comparing me to the rest of my family, no matter what level of development they are on the evolutionary scale. ;D ;D ;D  (I notice you put me at the bottom)

Where did you get the photo of my not-so-great great grandfather?  See photo of the Orangutan. 8)

I do not consider myself a victim of Andy's mind.  I consider Andy to be a victim of Covid.... too much time on his hands.   ;) ;)

Keep trying but go flying.

Frank

I always try to save the best for last, although some may take issue with my choice.  (Akin to various Mk versions of the Spitfire, it depends on whom you ask.)

Andy