Unfinished business- Frank's Li'l Roughneck- Sterling kit 1967

Started by Frank v B, April 19, 2020, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Thanks Michael,

A tribute to either Australia or Brasil.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

That's an excellent green.  I'd like to know what the process is for 2 colours on the wing... but I doubt I'd understand it.  It is anything like shoes and socks?

That really does look great.

Frank v B

David,

There are only three things to keep in mind when applying two contrasting colours:
i) Dark over light.  Always apply the lighter colour first.
ii) cut the overlapping edges with a sharp knife blade, use a steel ruler and most importantly do the cut in a single careful pass.
iii) start the second colour at the overlap.  Tap the heat on one end to lock it then stretch it to the other end and tap the heat, then carefully attach the rest of the overlap edge.

Frank

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Thanks Rob.

The photo shows the tail end pieces.  They go on either side of the fin.  They are covered on the outside only.  I have left the covering about 1/16" long at the edges so it folds and fills the glue gap.  Once the glue has dried, I go over the edge with the covering iron.

Frank

Frank v B

Fin & rudder installed.  The rudder is hinged with covering material.

The fin was installed after the glue dried on the stab.  The fin is then set 90 degrees to the stab.  The triangle holds the right angle until the glue dries.

The two tail cone pieces are in place on either side of the fin (with the pins in them).

Next
- motor installation
- pushrods
- landing gear.

Frank

Frank v B

The final entry!  Yes!

The photos show:
Photo 87- The horns are glued in.  The rudder and elevator are clamped neutral and the servos are neutral so the horns can only dry perfectly neutral.
Photo 88- The  wheels.  I did not want to use collars because they are wide and heavy.  To secure the wheels I added a piece of waxed paper, put on a small washer and added 5 minute epoxy.  The trick is to let the epoxy harden for 4 minutes and 30 seconds when it has become a bit firm and spin it around the axle on top of the washer.  The waxed paper stops the epoxy from hitting the wheel bearing.  After the epoxy has cured, rip away the waxed paper.  The wheel on the left shows the waxed paper.  The wheel on the right is ready to go.
Photo 89-I used a piece of 1/16" balsa as a spacer to keep the wheel away from the landing gear leg.
photo 94- the gear is held in place with screws that have washers built-in.
Photo 95, 96,97.  Finished L'il Roughneck.

Total weight- exactly 5 oz with a 3 cell 180 mah battery and 9 amp ESC.

DONE!!!!

Frank

davidk

She's a stunner.

I think we're going to need a sign-up sheet with dates and times... not only for all the planes... but to make sure everybody gets a chance to see all the first flights.

octagon

She's a pretty little plane Frank. The orange prop is a tip of the hat to your heritage. Good job pal.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Maidened the L'il Roughneck on Saturday and it flew well despite the gusty cross wind.
It took off in about 3 feet and flew fine.  The only problem was turning.  Luckily I had installed at 72 meg transmitter which allows instant full trim adjustments.  To turn, I had to give full deflection then jam the trim over fully.  This was for both left and right turns.  A little hairy.
It would have been difficult to fly on 2.4 gig with digital trim (slow).

Changed the servo horn with a longer one with an extra hole.  That should solve the problem. If still a problem after the next flight I will increase the rudder size 30%.

The neat part was knowing the power was fun and fine.  Did a loop from level flight.  Used an E-Flite 180 on three 180 mah cells.

Frank

Frank v B

Update:

From the maiden flight report in the previous post "The only problem was turning."  The second flight was little better with the increased throws of the longer servo horn.

The last time I checked, turning is kinda important. ;D

Made a new rudder that was larger and has a counterbalance on top to add to the lateral area (increased fin and rudder area).

Ran out of yellow covering so it is green.  The photo shows the new rudder in place while holding the old one for comparison.

Will try it out this weekend.  The change can't hurt.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

June 4 2020

@Frank v B demonstrates the blistering performance of 600 watts per pound with an FM TX on his L'il Roughneck.   :D

I knew the rips and gouges on the Geotex runway couldn't be just from prop strikes!

(These photos were made using Frank's photo techniques to enhance authenticity.)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

You call photographic failures "technique".

TSK TSK   ;)

Frank