Landing strip

Started by Crazyflyer, June 21, 2020, 09:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

I think we really need to consider replacing the runway this year before we get too much carnage! We still have 2/3 of our flying season ahead, I understand the issues with Covid but we have another 5 months of flying this year (7 months for Andy!)
I thought I was doing a smooth landing until a hole in the runway decided that my plane needed a carrier style stop!   ??? ;D >:( :-\ ;)

davidk

I'll put it to the board.  I've never gone through the process so I don't know how many people are needed and how close everyone needs to be.  We'd need to get enough people to do the job and all those people would have to feel comfortable regarding COVID-19.  Given the number of flyers I've seen at the field, there are many who are not comfortable even flying.

The plan was to replace the runway this past spring... but...

I've patched the big holes but there are a bucket of little holes that I'm getting to.  One solution I've seen a number of flyers implement is to use the geotex for take-off and then land on the grass.  There seems to be a consensus that the grass is a bit easier on landing gear and softer for planes without landing gear.  The grass is doing well this year.  It's been over-seeded and Brian is doing a great cutting job.

Crazyflyer

Hi David, I will happily help with the installation, I am sure another 2-3 members would be willing to help which will limit interaction.
Even with the takeoff, my brother ripped his tail wheel off from catching a hole, and jets bounce all over the place when trying to take off which can cause an early stall.

When the new runway gets installed (whether this year or next), we should also consider sand or another base material in order to easily roll the runway to keep it flat. The bumps have caused many crashes in the past few years.

Michael

David's response is accurate.

We had intended to install a new runway this season, but the Covid-19 pandemic protocols prevented it. The job requires many people (maybe 20 people) in close and heavy work for several hours.

David is constantly trying to maintain the runway the best he can. In my opinion, he is doing a great job under the current circumstances.

If anyone wants to fix/change/upgrade the runway while we still have 2/3rds of the season ahead of us, please share your ideas and your plans of action with us.
Michael

davidk

Quote from: Crazyflyer on June 21, 2020, 10:23:12 AM
Hi David, I will happily help with the installation, I am sure another 2-3 members would be willing to help which will limit interaction.
Even with the takeoff, my brother ripped his tail wheel off from catching a hole, and jets bounce all over the place when trying to take off which can cause an early stall.

When the new runway gets installed (whether this year or next), we should also consider sand or another base material in order to easily roll the runway to keep it flat. The bumps have caused many crashes in the past few years.

Regarding rolling, we've arranged to have a construction roller brought to the field when the roller is available.  Whatever is TEMAC, it will be rolled.  We're just not sure when it's going to be available.  Rolling and more patching should help things.

Frank v B

Stephan,

The runway is a reality as it is today.  Our choice is simple.  Fly what is flyable or don't fly.

I do not bring my small wheeled planes because of the risk.  I take much larger planes than I usually bring.

Looking at the photo of your plane, a deadstick (wheels-up) landing is done with the tail end hitting first.  The only way the nose could have gone under the fabric is if the landing attitude destined it to be a lawn dart.  I land my wheel-less planes on the grass for a slower controlled landing with the tail hitting first.

For what it is worth.

Frank

BTW- I was in charge of the original runway installation as Jack Higgins, who organized everything, had a family function on the East Coast.  It took about 25 people to install it and we didn't have to remove an old runway first.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Crazyflyer

Hi Frank, my nose cone was not damaged at all, only the windshield was crushed by the fabric. The plane was already flat on the ground sliding when it caught the hole. Although I am very good at playing lawn darts with my planes, this was not the case.
The reason I don't have wheels on this plane was because one of them ripped off from the runway last year. And I am not a fan of landing in the grass as some parts of the plane that stick out sometimes get caught in taller grass. And I don't have any planes with large wheels that can handle grass.

Anyways, I am not trying to get everyone annoyed at me for suggesting this, I am not pointing fingers, I know everyone is doing their best to make this hobby enjoyable at this club (an it remain a hobby), I am just making a point that it would be nice for the pilot to be solely responsible for damaging his own planes.

Quote from: Frank v B on June 21, 2020, 10:48:16 AM
Looking at the photo of your plane, a deadstick (wheels-up) landing is done with the tail end hitting first.  The only way the nose could have gone under the fabric is if the landing attitude destined it to be a lawn dart.  I land my wheel-less planes on the grass for a slower controlled landing with the tail hitting first.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

I think this is a tremendous opportunity for a new event in the Skills Competition. 

We can call it the Pothole Avoidance Challenge.  The one with the most successful taxis, takeoffs and landings wins.  We could run it like a demolition derby.  Extra points are awarded based on the size of landing gear - smaller wheels get more bonus points for successfully circumnavigating the divots and runway rips.

A complementary event could be the "arrestor cable event", with two classes: jets with tail-hooks and tail-draggers, except we would use our runway as is, no cables required.  Planes that get hooked and survive structurally get points.  Structural damage results in points deduction, but full on fuselage separation/evisceration gets bonus points.  8)

Andy (Big Wheels) Hoffer

Frank v B

Andy,

Sorry to rain on your parade but on Friday afternoon, David and I are walking the runway and Gorilla-taping the holes.  I just bought the tape.  I am saving about a foot of it to keep you quiet....literally.   ;) ;) ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on June 23, 2020, 06:29:05 PM
Andy,

Sorry to rain on your parade but on Friday afternoon, David and I are walking the runway and Gorilla-taping the holes.  I just bought the tape.  I am saving about a foot of it to keep you quiet....literally.   ;) ;) ;D

Frank

C'mon @Frank v B.  Make my day!!!   8)

bfeist

If the runway gets replaced, can someone paint a giant TEMAC logo on it that we'll be able to see on google maps?

davidk

More of a "when" than an "if" and a matter of "when".  And... you're elected... get your brushes ready.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bfeist on June 25, 2020, 10:10:36 AM
If the runway gets replaced, can someone paint a giant TEMAC logo on it that we'll be able to see on google maps?

Sensational idea @bfeist !!   For a start we could just put down large white letters (TEMAC).  Hopefully they won't interfere with pilots' landing spatial awareness!!  8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Huge thanks to Dave Kates for his dedicated assault on the copious prop strike lacerations on the runway while we wait for the COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted so we can replace the runway.  :P

In the meantime, Tundra tires are king!  8)

Andy