G44 Widgeon

Started by Oscar, June 27, 2020, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Recently I bought the G44 Widgeon from FliteTest.  I am planning to fly it off from the field as well any future float flying events.

Assembly is quite straight forward.  I will post more photos in this thread.

Usually I will use the Lemon RX receiver with stabilizer (its like a AS3X to assist the crosswind situation).  I came across the Aura 5 Lite (FliteTest Aura 5) which claims one of the most easiest gyro setup.  I am also interested the function of Differential Thrust with Gyro (I have number of twin planes which are setup with Differential Thrust but never able to get the Gyro function worked), so I will get a shot at this.  Later, I will give me feedback on comparing with Spektrum SAFE / AS3X technology vs Lemon RX stabilizer and the Aura 5 Lite.

I hope this help for anyone who interested in this plane as well the Aura 5 Gyro.

Oscar

For this assembly, you will need a screwdriver, nose piler, 3 x servo extension.
No glue, tape is required. 
Note: Its even simplier than putting the Apprentice together. 

All components are preinstalled and configured.  Everything are just snap and hold with the magnet.

This is the wing.  You can see the motor, ESC are all setup for you.  In fact, the motor is already setup with CW and CCW setup.  No programming is needed. It is hold on with magnet.  So very easy for maintainence.

Oscar

The fuselage have plenty of space.  The front battery area is big enough to put larger size battery.  It is recommend for 3S 1800 to 3300mah.

Oscar

I will begin to install the elevator.  Notice the rudder is already installed.
The elevator is hold on with the magnet.  The servo is already installed and centered.  It is recommend to not adjust it. 

Oscar

Next I will put on the landing gear and tail wheel.

Oscar

Now onto the wing.  Its twin motor.  The box comes with the connector.  Line up the red and the black cables.  You dont need to worries about the cabling.  It's all done for you. 

Oscar

Next you will see two sets of servo wires, label A and label B.  A is the ESC, and B is the Aileron.
In here I am going for Differential Thrust.  So I remove the Y connector from the Label A and plug to the controller Left motor wire to Throttle switch and Right motor wire to Second switch (or in Spektrum R/X the Aux1 / CH6 Channel)
For the label B, it's already Y connected.  Just plug to the Aileron switch

Note: If you are not planning to do differential Thrust, just plug the Label A to the Throttle switch of your R/X.  All setting are predone for you.  No need to worry the wiring.

Oscar

You can place the R/X underneath the wing.  For my setup, I decided to place it on the fuselage.  So I will need the servo extension for that.  I am using 3 servo extensions (Left motor ESC servo, Right motor ESC servo and Aileron)

If you are planning to mount your R/X underneath the wing, you wont need the servo extension.  The rudder and the elevator servo wires are quite long.

Oscar

I am planning to use the Aura 5 Lite Gyro.  Unlike other stabilizer, it use SBUS.  For Spektrum user like me, I can use either the remote satellite r/x or a R/X with SRXL (Spektrum version of SBUS). 

I will be using the Spektrum AR8010T which has the SRXL function.  The male to male wire comes with the Aura 5 package.  All I need is plug the SRXL plug to both side (yes one wire only).  And its all set.  The Aileron / Elevator / Rudder - goes to the Aura 5 Lite controller.  It's pretty simply.

Oscar

This is how I mounted the AR8010T and the Gyro.  Since I want to fly off from the water, I want to make sure its stay dry.  The Widgeon has a rise platform.  Perfect to place the Gyro there.

Oscar

To lock the wing, it comes with the hatch locked. 

Oscar

Next I am putting on the side floats. 

Oscar

The only thing left is placing the prop.  Then it's all set and ready to maiden.

As I mention, it's a lot simply than putting the Apprentice together.  You will finish putting the plane together faster than charging your battery.

The CG is 63mm from the leading edge of the wing.

I will cover how I setup the Aura 5 later time.   :)

sihinch

Great thread Oscar, thanks for sharing. Looks like a cool plane! Good luck with the maiden - any idea when you're going to try it?

bweaver

Definitely a great thread Oscar.  I look forward to seeing it flying at the field and the lake.