Cowling Modification To Fill Holes Resulting From Previous Fuel Motor Cut Outs

Started by bweaver, July 04, 2020, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

If you have ever had a conversion of a fuel powered model to battery powered, you will probably want to fill a lot of holes that have been cut in the cowling to accommodate the motor.

It was a nice afternoon to sit out side and do just that with this project. 

The photos will show the process. 

Tools and materials include blue foam (what else), 5 minute epoxy, hobby knife, Polly Filla (large hole type), Dura Grit file.

The largest opening on the bottom of the cowl is left to do.  Once that hole is filled and sanded, then all the exposed foam surfaces will be painted and sanded with water based resin on the exterior.  (I do not think it will be necessary to fiber glass.)

Time for a beer...

davidk

sihinch

bweaver

Finished and ready for painting. 

This was a fun challenge which I enjoyed doing very much.

The Deluxe Materials EZ-Kote water-based fiberglass resin is great stuff to work with.  I didn't feel it was necessary to use the fiberglass cloth for strength.  I believe the changes will be very durable and will satisfy the 50-50 rule for functionality and appearance.

Andy Hoffer

Way to go @bweaver.  Beautiful restoration.  I would guess that your method also has application to the repair of crunched cowls, e.g. when @Frank v B does his balsa planting runs.

Re your photo above, you and I should have a little chat about back lighting.  And maybe we can even invite Frank.  I know you are a much more receptive audience on constructive suggestions.  All I ever get from Frank is shown in the attached photo.  Maybe if you are there he will listen.  (Yes, I know it's a long shot, but Frank is worth it.  And at the very least he will be tormented!!)  8)

Cheers,
Andy

bfeist

Blue plastic dust in your yard for the next 20,000 years, but worth it!