Loi's EDF jet

Started by Oscar, July 24, 2020, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Loi's forgot to turn off the SAFE during the flight.  With limited control, the plane is now hanged at the tree (behind our parking lot).  Anyone has suggestion or tools to bring the plane down?

Thanks
Oscar

Andy Hoffer

So sorry to hear about this.  That plane is way up there, and willows are not very strong, so I would advise against trying to get it down.  i would suggest waiting until the next strong wind blows it free.  Perhaps a FPV drone with a grappling hook might be able to tease it free if it's not too embedded in the branches, but this would be a very delicate manouevre.

@Frank v B is the master of such recovery endeavours and I would like to hear his opinion on this.

Thanks for posting Oscar.

Andy

Frank v B

Oscar/Loi,

I will bring my long ladder, tree pruner pole and extension pole tomorrow (Sunday, 9:30-12:00) and will try to get it down... after I look after Geovanni and Jessie.

Boeing's Max 8 problem hits model airplanes.  Frustrating when a model tells you what it will allow you to do. 

When the Ryerson Apprentice randomly went into stabilization mode after about two minutes of flying about 4 years ago, I tried my best to make it crash on our field for safety and it thumbed its nose at me.  It lazily circled out of sight.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Oscar

Good news!!  Loi managed to bring the plane down.

With his years of fishing experience, he uses 40lb line with sinker tie on the end and casted it out.  One cast and he managed to hook on to the branch.  A few shake the plane came down nicely.   :D

Frank/Andy/Athol - Loi doesn't know how to reply from the website.  He asked me to pass on 'Thank you' to you all.

Andy Hoffer

Huge congratulations to Loi!  That is an amazing catch. 

So glad Loi got to it before @Frank v B did.  With the plane being so high up in the tree, Loi would have ended up trying to fish Frank and his gear out of the tree or out of the creek.  And 40 lb test  line wouldn't cut it.

Thanks for posting Oscar.  Please pass this on to Loi when you see him.

This deserves the TEMAC "Best Crash Recovery" award.

Andy