Flying Saturday afternoon Aug 1, approx 1:00-3:30

Started by Frank v B, July 30, 2020, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Am going to try to make it out Saturday afternoon.  Mike K. , if you need some help and borrow my buddy cord you know when and where to find me.

I heard the weather forecast for Sunday was not too good so it is best to try Saturday and leave Sunday without having to battle Andy and his alphabet soup weather forecasts.  Andy is Temac's version of Wiarton Willy and about as accurate.  An amazing resemblance, though. ;) ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

@Mike_Kilo ,

I am SO sorry that I can't be there on Saturday afternoon.  If you do go to the field that day, don't let @Frank v B 's fear of WX facts throw you.  He just has this thing about NavCanada TAFs (aviation forecasts) and METARs (meteorological observation reports).  I suspect  there are just too many syllables for him in some of the terms used. 

Check out https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi-bin/CreePage.pl?Langue=anglais&NoSession=NS_Inconnu&Page=Fore-obs%2Fgfacn33-metar-taf&TypeDoc=html.  You'll note at the bottom of the page that you can get the reports in plain language, as well as the more concise standard format.  This is what we use for full-scale flying.  Just check off the airports for which you want reports (e.g. Toronto/Buttonville, Toronto/Pearson and Toronto/Oshawa) and select "Get Bulletins" at the bottom of the page. 

I suspect @Frank v B 's distaste for TAFs and METARs may have something to do with the fact that he has never come flying with me. It could also be that he wants to avoid being called Hoffer's Flying Dutchman, let alone being my captive audience for a whole hour! The temptation to jump out might be too much for him!! He's a complex guy, like some of his knots.  What can I say?  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Sorry to wake you up.

The only part I understood was "I am SO sorry that I can't be there on Saturday afternoon."
Makes my day. ;) ;)

Frank

Mike_Kilo

@Frank v B

Thanks for the heads up Frank. I will be there.

Mike K.

Frank v B

Field report- Saturday.

PHOTOS:
16- Alex and his fast and precise models
17- Stefan H.  Final checks before flying
18- Eric H. before flying.  Subsonic is slow for the Hagens brothers.
19- Michael and Rob having a laugh.  Still grinning from the Scugog Float flying session yesterday.
20- Glenn in a hyperactive state.
21- David taking in the sights and sounds.
22- Rob and his clipped wing Mustang.  He figures it should be able to lift off at 200+ km/hr.
23- Temac's answer to the '60's tv show The Flying Nun.
24- Glenn packing up with exactly as many pieces with which he arrived.  His definition of a good day.

I missed taking a photo of Mike (Kilo) who flew three of his planes, and Loi who arrived as I was leaving.

Beautiful day.

Frank