Informal flight training help- this Wednesday Aug 5, 5:00-8:30 pm

Started by Frank v B, July 31, 2020, 05:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Any members who would like some help with training/maidening/flight testing are welcome to join me on Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier the same afternoon (3 pm), Ryerson will bring their new flying device to test the transition from hovering to horizontal flight.  (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7569.0.html)

Sounds like the weather will be good but I am afraid to ask Andy and get another lecture on form him on NavCanada, TAFs, and METARs ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on July 31, 2020, 05:01:24 PM
Any members who would like some help with training/maidening/flight testing are welcome to join me on Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier the same afternoon (3 pm), Ryerson will bring their new flying device to test the transition from hovering to horizontal flight.  (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7569.0.html)

Sounds like the weather will be good but I am afraid to ask Andy and get another lecture on form him on NavCanada, TAFs, and METARs ;D

Frank

It is most gratifying to see @Frank v B starting to use such highly technical meteorological terms, like NavCanada, TAFs, and METARs.  He is really going the extra mile (nautical, of course) to elevate his discussions. 

Now if I can just get him to use the fill flash capability on his camera.......

Hmm......  Maybe if I come to the Wednesday evening training session I can coax him in person.....

Yes....  That is a really good idea.  He just needs the personal touch to reinforce his edification.  8)

Andy

WilliamA

Hi Guys,       I will try to be there for some flight instructions if that is included in the programme .    WilliamA

davidk

Winds are 24 to 35 from the West this afternoon.  Is Ryerson going to test in those winds?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on July 31, 2020, 05:01:24 PM

Earlier the same afternoon (3 pm), Ryerson will bring their new flying device to test the transition from hovering to horizontal flight. (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7569.0.html)

Frank

Ryerson test session has been moved to Thursday Aug 6 due to strong winds forecast for Aug 5.  Please see update at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,7569.msg51136.html#msg51136.

Andy

Mike_Kilo

@ Frank v B,

Will there still be informal instruction tonight, or has that been postponed as well?

Was planning on coming up this evening.

Mike K.

sihinch

Hi @Mike_Kilo
I can't speak for Frank but if the winds are as forecast it will not be an evening suitable for training. Just trying to offer some help....

Frank v B

Andy and I did drop by Rogo Field at about  5 pm and had some interesting flying, Jan and Gerald (not Scorch) came for training. Carlos was there to fly his mini wing.  Vadim dropped by later and had two good flights with his 1.5m Red Tail Mustang (FMS) and was set to fly his WarWing 2.0 as I was leaving.  Jan had two long flights, each well over 10 minutes.  The second one was an embarrassing attempt at a flight about 20 seconds longer than the limit of the battery.  Off into the beans he went to retrieve it.  No damage.

Gerald had a flight but somehow at the halfway point of the circuit the plane lost altitude and went in at the south end of the field.  It did not respond to any elevator inputs so we blamed Andy for the mishap.

Andy launched my DG 1000 2 meter power glider three times.  Then I tried to stretch the last flight and the battery gave up about 50' short of the runway.  Off into the beans I went to retrieve it.  Andy had two good flights with his FX racer (squirrily!) and two flights with his mini Funtana

Photos:
35- Why does Andy have two brand new full jugs of windshield washer in his car???
37- Andy with his FX racer before it literally bit the test on a reverse flair on landing (lawn dart)
39- just to bug Andy about photo composition- the flagpole and windsock growing out of his head.
42- David, Andy tried to steal some sod in the nose of his plane.
43- close-up of Andy's grass-grab.  Special blurriness to add effect.
49- Andy never looked so good.  His costume for October 31.
51- My short final was really short... by about 50'.
52- Vadim, how was your evening at the field?

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

It turned out to be a beautiful evening for flying (see WX below).

CFI @Frank v B gave a master class on forced landings in the beans, including Olympic hurdle techniques for retrievals.

@Gerald Penz and Jan (@Janus) Henzel both demonstrated their newly acquired Van Beurdenese knowledge with textbook expeditions into the beans, with Frank on the buddy box!  Gerald won first prize in the long distance event, with a marathon hike way out to the SE back 40, almost at the tree line, to retrieve his Apprentice.  There were lots of question marks in the cows' thought balloons.  Gerald's high level of physical fitness was evident as he returned from the field with about 5 lbs of heavy clay soil firmly embedded in the tread of each of his running shoes.  TEMAC guys are definitely built tough!

And Frank's planting lessons have clearly put these students on the right path for a future of fulfilling flying and agricultural appreciation.  8)

Bravo Professor Van Beurden!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on August 05, 2020, 10:58:15 PM
Andy and I did drop by Rogo Field at about  5 pm and had some interesting flying, Jan and Gerald (not Scorch) came for training. Carlos was there to fly his mini wing.  Vadim dropped by later and had two good flights with his 1.5m Red Tail Mustang (FMS) and was set to fly his WarWing 2.0 as I was leaving.  Jan had two long flights, each well over 10 minutes.  The second one was an embarrassing attempt at a flight about 20 seconds longer than the limit of the battery.  Off into the beans he went to retrieve it.  No damage.

Gerald had a flight but somehow at the halfway point of the circuit the plane lost altitude and went in at the south end of the field.  It did not respond to any elevator inputs so we blamed Andy for the mishap.

Andy launched my DG 1000 2 meter power glider three times.  Then I tried to stretch the last flight and the battery gave up about 50' short of the runway.  Off into the beans I went to retrieve it.  Andy had two good flights with his FX racer (squirrily!) and two flights with his mini Funtana

Photos:
35- Why does Andy have two brand new full jugs of windshield washer in his car???
37- Andy with his FX racer before it literally bit the test on a reverse flair on landing (lawn dart)
39- just to bug Andy about photo composition- the flagpole and windsock growing out of his head.
42- David, Andy tried to steal some sod in the nose of his plane.
43- close-up of Andy's grass-grab.  Special blurriness to add effect.
49- Andy never looked so good.  His costume for October 31.
51- My short final was really short... by about 50'.
52- Vadim, how was your evening at the field?

Frank

In anticipation of an early snowfall!!   8)

Andy

Gerald Danen

Just got back from vacation and realized I hadn't posted the photos from Frank's first informal flight training on July 29th.  We had a wee bit of rain initially but it cleared within 20 minutes and it was a beautiful afternoon/evening from then on.  Very limited attendance with appropriate social distancing.
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Gerald Danen

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."