E F 1 Pylon Race

Started by Polecat, September 02, 2020, 09:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

E F 1 pylon race at Orangeville R/C Flyers, Sun. Sept. 20, 10:30 am. We will be following the social distance rule and masks.
Please bring your own work table. We will run 4 rounds of E F 1 and after that a few of us will be doing some Sport Quickie 500.
Spectators are welcome, come out and join the fun.
I have sent a email out to the E F 1 guys for replies, still looking for some more pilots to attend.
Go fast, turn left.
Take care and be safe.

Ken

Polecat

Just a reminered about the E F 1 pylon race at Orangeville, Sun Sept. 20, 10:30 am. Still looking for some more guys to attend.

Ken

Frank v B

OK Team TEMAC.  Let's go.

I will be at the Tim Hortons at 27, 1 km south of Hiway 9 (Schomberg west of Hiway 400).  We should leave there by about 9 am.  Ken's last note said he was looking to start at 11:30 am.

Bring your own table, chair, lunch and refreshments.  We will be in the middle of nowhere.  If some non-flyers want to join us to be field crew it would be much appreciated.

EF-1 pylon racing is a blast and fast.  This is a 3 pylon course with pilots and callers standing in the middle.  Come watch planes fly in close formation at close to 200 km/hr.
These planes are relatively small (48" span) and use an 800 watt racing motor (over 1 hp!) on 4 cells and about 50-60 amps.

As usual, my aim is the be second last or better. ;D

Note: Rudie Nagelmakers (Beeton RC Flyers) lives in Schomberg and is meeting us at Tim's at 8:15 just to say "Hi".  He has a function at the Beeton Field at 9:30 am.

Frank

Directions:

We will leave Tim's in a convoy by 9 am.  In brackets are the cumulative distances from Tim's (67 km's).

West on Hiway 9 for 34.1 km's where #9 "T's" into #10 where the McDonald's is located just north of the intersection (west side).
North on Hiway 10  for 13.4 km's (47.5 km's) to Sideroad 20.  This is just after you see the first Windmills to the west.
West (left) on 20 for 16.3 km's (63.8 km's) until the road ends at a "T" intersection stop sign.  Turn right (north)... after you stop!
North on this road.  After 1.4 km's (65.2 km's) it turns into a gravel road.  At the 3.2 km (67.0 km's) mark from the "T" intersection you will see a farm on the right.  It is the first farm north of the little concrete bridge in the road. Drive between the buildings and turn left at the fork in the driveway (200').  Just before you hit the grass runway  (300 ft) it turns east (right).  You will see the cars and the flying stars.

"Never trade luck for skill"

Polecat

Frank   When you are on Hwy. 10, don't turn left on to 20th side road, as there is alot of construction, go to the 25th and turn left, its a gravel road but will take you just to the farm on the right, you will see the pylon flags.
Sorry for this late info but have been busy getting things ready and trying to get some air time.

See you Sun. Bring some Temac fans with you.
Ken

bweaver

Frank v B

Great you can make it Bruce.

Please be aware that today's announcement on the rollback on meeting sizes because of Covid 19.

The reduction to 25 people outside will not affect us because we have never had 25 people participate (flyers and volunteers).

Frank

Frank v B

Well the race happened on the most beautiful day.  Wind down the runway, beautiful sunshine.  Competing were Rick and Cory Payne, Mike, Dave, Ken and me.  Four people were kind enough to volunteer, including Bruce Weaver.

I was tied for 3rd with Ken Fluney.  The first time ever I have beaten both Rick and Cory Payne..... due to technical issues due to superb flying (read as "keeping the airplane in one piece").  Thanks to Rick, Mike and Dave who suffered as my callers in the four races.  The sportsmanship award goes to Dave Ford for lending me a spare battery for my last race.  It was even fully charged! ;D

Photos:
61- The 6 pilots and their planes.... before the racing started.  Photos of garbage bags after the race would not be nice. L to R- FvB, Cory, Dave, Mike, Rick, Ken
63- Cory Payne before his first race.
64- Bruce and Tammie (Mike's wife) as lap counters.  They were the only ones there capable of counting to 10. ;) Ken is seen kneeling, facing east- praying for divine intervention.
65- Rick Payne ready to launch Cory's plane.
68- I won a race and Ken, David and Cory were ready to kiss my feet.  There's a first time for everything.
70- Dave ready to launch Mike's plane.
71- if you take 12 pictures you are bound to have a plane in view.  If you are really lucky... two planes.  Andy, the blurr is not a focus problem, it is a speed issue.  Mike's red plane is leading Ken's yellow one.
86- Ken awarding me 3rd place.  Tied with him.
88- official score card.  Proof of tied for 3rd.
89- Ken reading out the rest of the results.

A great day.

Thanks to Ken and the volunteers.

Frank

Polecat

Great pictures and a write up about the race, with super weather, we hadn't raced for almost two years because both races dates, last year where cancelled due to bad weather. Thanks to all that attend, it was a fun day even though the number of pilots where down, hope to get that back up next year.
I want to congratulate Frank on a third place finish and a fast time of 1:40, he was really flying well. Also want to thank Bruce for coming up to help doing the timing and lap counting.
Bruce hung around to help, For The Blast from the Past Nitro Pylon Racing, which we haven't raced in Orangeville for 15 years.
Looking forward for some racing next year, turn left and go fast.
Take care and be safe.
Ken

sihinch

Polecat

Simon  We really missed you, hope everything is going well. It was a great day of racing, everyone was going fast and we raced on the 400 ft. course. We have been doing the 375 course but since we where doing some old time Quickie racing, which is done on the 400 course.
Hope to see you next year.
Bring the old gang of E F 1 pilots next year.

Ken

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on September 20, 2020, 05:44:52 PM
Well the race happened on the most beautiful day.  Wind down the runway, beautiful sunshine.  Competing were Rick and Cory Payne, Mike, Dave, Ken and me.  Four people were kind enough to volunteer, including Bruce Weaver.

I was tied for 3rd with Ken Fluney.  The first time ever I have beaten both Rick and Cory Payne..... due to technical issues due to superb flying (read as "keeping the airplane in one piece").  Thanks to Rick, Mike and Dave who suffered as my callers in the four races.  The sportsmanship award goes to Dave Ford for lending me a spare battery for my last race.  It was even fully charged! ;D

Photos:
61- The 6 pilots and their planes.... before the racing started.  Photos of garbage bags after the race would not be nice. L to R- FvB, Cory, Dave, Mike, Rick, Ken
63- Cory Payne before his first race.
64- Bruce and Tammie (Mike's wife) as lap counters.  They were the only ones there capable of counting to 10. ;) Ken is seen kneeling, facing east- praying for divine intervention.
65- Rick Payne ready to launch Cory's plane.
68- I won a race and Ken, David and Cory were ready to kiss my feet.  There's a first time for everything.
70- Dave ready to launch Mike's plane.
71- if you take 12 pictures you are bound to have a plane in view.  If you are really lucky... two planes.  Andy, the blurr is not a focus problem, it is a speed issue. Mike's red plane is leading Ken's yellow one.
86- Ken awarding me 3rd place.  Tied with him.
88- official score card.  Proof of tied for 3rd.
89- Ken reading out the rest of the results.

A great day.

Thanks to Ken and the volunteers.

Frank

I am SO proud of @Frank v B !  He is really getting into photography in a big way, and is increasingly aware of what is going on when he presses that little shutter button on the fuselage of his camera. 8)

Andy

cpaine

it was a great day! thanks for the write up Frank!! and great flying too - congrats on 3rd place!. the weather was perfect, i was not... :(
really missed the other TEMAC guys (hope all is well), maybe next year, or a nice day in October?? ??? ... one could hope.
and special thanks to Bruce for helping out. we cant have these races with out some help. it is really appreciated.
wish i had better pictures!!

cheers
Cory

maac #26951