Habu STS

Started by Oscar, September 07, 2020, 12:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

For anyone who is looking for the first EDF jet (Leaf Blower) or your second plane after Apprentice, you can consider the Habu STS. 

I bought a Habu STS PNP.  I also ordered along the RTF version flight controller and R/X.  It will like a BNF Basic but without the Radio, Battery, Flight Simulator, USB Dongle, Charger. 

Here is the assembly

Oscar

If you think putting Apprentice is easy, then this one will be even easier.  You will complete the setup before the battery is charged.

Putting the wing to the main fuselage.  Four screws. Two long one, Two short one.

I like Elifte that give you extra (in case you lose it during setup or in the future).  Two thumbs up.

Oscar

Next fish the servo extension from the front.  Attach the landing gear servo.  Those 8 tiny screw can be a challenge (too small).  Well, at least they give you a spare one in case you drop one.

Next you put on the main landing gear.  It's just snap in.  Pretty straight forward

Oscar

Now to the tail section.  Plug the rudder and elevator (just follow the label).  Make sure the direction is correct. (Signal, Negative)

Two screws to hold on the tail.

Oscar

Now put on the vertical stabilizer.  There is a hole to pass thru the rudder servo horn.

Put the rod on the outer hole on both side.  You will need to adjust the length.  One time I like Elfite is they have center the servo arm for you already. So adjust the rod instead of pushing the servo arm. 

Oscar

Next its the cone.  Although the manual didnt say, I did put some glue before putting it on (go easy on the glue, it's pretty tight fit already)  The glue is optional.  The manual only tell you to put some clear tape (provided to you in the package)

Oscar

Now its the fun part.  Putting the Flight Controller and the R/X.

If you have a RTF or you are going to use other R/X, you can skip this part.

If you look at other plane, you usually have to plug the servo to the R/X directly.  For Habu STS, this is the first time they use a S-BUS R/X (Satellite extension) and a special Eflite Flight Controller.  Pay attention on order.  (Its not the usual Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder)  Hint: One of the servo has a red dot.  That's the Rudder servo.

You will also notice there are two Throttle channels.  One is PWM with Smart Telemetry on CH6 and the the other is just a regular PWM Throttle on CH1.  Even I don't use Smart battery, I still plug the Throttle to CH6.

In the past, nose wheel and rudder share the same channel but not in Habu STS.  Rudder is on CH 4, Nose wheel on CH 5.

CH 7 is for Landing Assist.  I didnt buy that option.  What it does it flare for you on landing.  And there is limitation.  For example, if the ground color is light, it wont activate.  It has to be contrast like on grass. 

CH 8 is empty - I guess you can put on led lights (oh FPV ?)

The mounting on the Flight Controller is very important.  There is only one way allow to mount.  The servo pin must be facing towards the back.
The R/X mounting is not that critical.  However, make sure the two antenna is 90 degree apart.

Oscar

Setup the Radio according to the Manual, Page 7.
I did the same setup.  Assigned Switch B (3 position) on Gear Channel.  Switch I (bind button) on Aux1. Dont confuse with the Flight Controller Channel.  The Flight Controller knows how to remap the channel.
Note : If you are not using the same R/X and Flight controller, you can skip this

Goto the bind option, plug the battery, then press the bind button on the R/X.  You will see the Flight Controller start flashing.  Now from your radio, press the Bind button. 

Oscar

Your Switch B will toggle the Beginner / Intermediate / Advance mode

The flight controller will turn to different color.  Blue, Purple, Red.

CG is 90 to 95mm from the leading edge (refer to manual page 13)

My DR/Expo
High 100/30
Mid 70/30
Low 50/30

Oscar

Time for maiden.

What best is to try out a windy day with a 3S lipo.

Oscar

The maiden flight

https://youtu.be/7QFeTTgzOPA

I am SOLD!

This EDF is really well thought for beginner.  It is truly redefine a trainer plane.  You now have an option on not only with a high wing like an Apprentice or HobbyZone AeroScout.  If you buy a RTF, beware that if you want to buddy box, its wireless only.  And if you are using that radio as Master, you have to buy an additional module in order to do so. 

The EDF can do 3S and 4S.  The RTF charger only support 3S.  So when you are ready for 4S, you will need a separate charger for that.

My suggestion is get yourself a DX6 (and up).  Use that as your main control.  Then use the radio that comes with and setup as student radio.  For that setup, you don't need to buy that buddy box module.

Oscar

Practicing Touch N Go
1 x 3S 5000mah
Split to 2 flights - Each flight timed for 4 mins
Came down to 3.75/cell after the second flight

https://youtu.be/u3zgoNFwvC8

Oscar

How about letting someone who never flew an EDF (As per @Frank v B describe - Leaf Blower)
Runs on 4S so its bit faster
To increase the challenge, we will fly it on a cloudy day. 

I know. Never fly a jet before + 4S + Cloudy evening + let someone fly your plane ... What am I thinking. LOL  :P

https://youtu.be/FXe7No3vmLE

msatin

Thanks for the Habu flight Oscar - Great fun!
You never fail until you stop trying