Flying in gusty winds

Started by Flying A, September 17, 2020, 03:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying A

Just came home from the field. No-one there but me. Strong, gusty winds, but my Hobbyzone Aeroscout handled the winds with ease. Even switched off the SAFE technology to get used to flying without stabilization, but the control throws are too large. I don't know if adjusting the throws will affect the SAFE operation when the latter is engaged. Must research this; owner's manual vague. Anyone familiar with this? This is my first RC plane with stabilization. Cheers, Alan

Mike_Kilo

Not sure what radio (controller) you are using, but if you have a programmable radio, you can set up a switch to change between high and low rates.  This will allow you to change between bigger throws (higher rates) and smaller throws (lower rates) mid flight.  The manual suggest 70% for low rates, so that shouldn't effect SAFE operation.  I don't have the Aeroscout, but my other SAFE/AS3X planes don't seem have any problems flying on low rates. (Trim can cause problems on SAFE mode, but that is another issue all together, and seems well covered in the manual).

I suggest setting up hi/low rates on a switch, that way you can switch flight modes (SAFE ON or OFF), lower your rates with the rate switch for flying in less stabilized modes, and set the rates back to normal if you have difficulties flying when you go back to SAFE mode. It may even be possible to setup the radio so that the rates change automatically when you change flight modes, depending on your radio.

If all this sounds confusing, let me know what radio (controller) you use, and when you are planning to fly next.  If I can make it to the field I can help you with setting up hi/low rates. (caveat, the radio has to be field programmable, i.e. have a screen/display).
I will likely be flying Saturday afternoon.

Oscar

Quote from: Flying A on September 17, 2020, 03:31:38 PM
Just came home from the field. No-one there but me. Strong, gusty winds, but my Hobbyzone Aeroscout handled the winds with ease. Even switched off the SAFE technology to get used to flying without stabilization, but the control throws are too large. I don't know if adjusting the throws will affect the SAFE operation when the latter is engaged. Must research this; owner's manual vague. Anyone familiar with this? This is my first RC plane with stabilization. Cheers, Alan

When you purchased the Aeroscout, is it RTF (which comes with Radio DXe) or you bought it as BNF (you have to buy your own radio)?

If its RTF, check your manual page 5 - you have High and Low rate pre-programmed in your DXe
If its BNF, check your manual page 4 - You need to setup the the Dual Rate 100% High 70% Low

Flying A

Thanks to Mike and Oscar for the detailed info on hi-lo rates for the control throws. I bought the Aeroscout RTF package, which comes with Spektrum's basic DXe transmitter (no screen), and an AR636B sport receiver. It has a 3-position switch for the SAFE stabilizer (Beginner-Intermediate-Expert), a Panic/Bind button, an Arm/Disarm switch for Throttle, and a Rate switch with Hi/Lo positions. The rate switch, so far, seems to do nothing, but I have not properly tried it, or maybe it needs to be set up. It's when I try the Expert setting, which basically turns off the stabilization and allows me to try aerobatics, that the control throws are extreme.
My previous inexpensive FlySky TS6 transmitter, which does have a screen and adjustable throws for different models, is not compatible with Spektrum receivers. I stopped using it because I found it confusing and had a crash when it was set to the wrong model.
There is a connection on the back of the DXe transmitter, which I think may allow programming with an optional cable and a PC, but I haven't explored that option yet.
Alan

Flying A

Mike and Oscar: I feel sort of dumb (duh..). As you suggested, my Hi/Lo rate switch does work! I just tested it at home and watched the control surfaces. It's switchable mid-flight in every mode with SAFE stabilization ON, and in the Expert/aerobatic mode as well. I had been flying the AeroScout with the switch in Hi position, thinking it was non-functional, so the control throws were extreme. In my excitement at getting a new model and getting back to the hobby, I had not adequately examined the control actions. I'll try out the Lo rates when I next fly.
Cheers, Alan

Oscar

Alan - Glad it works.  When flying in gusty wind condition, like yesterday (and today), you can switch to Intermediate mode.  Let the technology to handle the wind (or crosswind) so you can concentrate on flying.   :)

Mike_Kilo

Good to hear you have it sorted!  A bit of coloured tape or heat-shrink tubing is a great way help remember what your switches do. Put one colour on your flight mode (SAFE) switch and another on your rate switch. That way you can see them at a quick glance, instead of having to read the labels every time. Let us know how flying on low rates goes!

Flying A

Hi Oscar and Mike,
I went out to the field at noon and experimented with the Hi/Lo rate settings in the Intermediate and Expert modes. Big difference. It was still very windy and gusty...and cold! I did let the Safe technology handle the winds, which it did very nicely, and I liked the Intermedate mode with Lo rates best. I'll have to wait for calmer air to judge whether the Lo rates on the Expert mode are low enough. Went through a couple of Lipo batteries, but I was really cold--I hadn't worn enough clothes, so I packed up and headed home. Turned on the car heater to warm up, first time since spring,
Thanks again for the help.
Alan