Anyone Interested in Custom Vinyl Decals?

Started by Mike_Kilo, October 13, 2020, 07:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Kilo

Just curious if anyone would be interested in custom vinyl decals for their planes.  I would be working with a friend with a vinyl cutter to provide custom precision cut decals at a reasonable price for members of the club.

The decals are cut from single colour adhesive backed vinyl.  Multiple colours can be cut and layered to create multicolour decals.  Decals can be as large as 12x24 inches.  Transfer tape will be provided for applying the decals

Cost and details are still being worked out, but it would be something like a base setup fee plus material cost, and additional cost for complex artwork.

If you can provide cut ready .svg files, we would likely discount the setup fee.

Attached are some examples of single layer black vinyl decals, before and after application.

Please leave a reply here if you are interested, maybe include the wording or images and what size you are interested in.

octagon

Hi Mike,
I would be interested. I mostly recovered my1/5 size cub after a crash and rebuild, but of course the old decals went with the old covering. I have used Callie for a few years now, but would be happy to find someone here.
What could possibly go wrong?

Mike_Kilo

Rob,
The registration numbers on the wing and tail would be easy, as wells as the lightening bolt trim.
I can only cut up to 24 inches, so the lightening bolt would have to be done as two.

However the bear cub decal with its multiple colours may not be practical with our process. As it stands, multi colour stuff would be cut from different coloured vinyl and layered up to create the graphic. We have not found a good way to print on the vinyl with our current setup. The "Piper" logo is probably doable, but the instrument panel is not (the panel yes, the instruments no).

If you don't need the bearcub or the instrument panel I can likely get you the numbers and trim quicker and cheaper than Callie, but if you need the whole set it would probably make sense to go with Callie, as they have the set already made up, and they can do highly detailed printed graphics.

Mike

Gregor77

I could use some German WW1 crosses in black if that is possible?  I need it for my 1/4.5 DR-1.

GuyOReilly

@Mike_Kilo , I would be interested in decals/vinyl for my plane.  It is a Cessna Aerobat A150M.
The word AEROBAT, 2 of them, to be affixed to the ing tip.
Colour would be black.
The size is letters 2.25 inches high and 18 inches long.
Font is a bit quirky, see attached sample from the Cessna handbook.
Please let me know how much these would cost.
Thank you.

Mike_Kilo

@Gregor77
German crosses are are easy, but there are a few variants.  I have attached a pic with some examples.  Let me know what style you would like, how many, and how big.  You can send images to my email [email protected].

@GuyOReilly
The Aerobat lettering is also doable, I will get back with a price soon, I just have to confirm with my co-conspirator.
One thing though, I did a quick trace of the example you sent me, and when scaled proportionally to 2.25 inches tall, it becomes 18.78 inches long.  I can make it exactly 18x2.25 or I can keep the original proportions.

GuyOReilly

@GuyOReilly
The Aerobat lettering is also doable, I will get back with a price soon, I just have to confirm with my co-conspirator.
One thing though, I did a quick trace of the example you sent me, and when scaled proportionally to 2.25 inches tall, it becomes 18.78 inches long.  I can make it exactly 18x2.25 or I can keep the original proportions.
[/quote]
Thank you, the proportions should be kept, the hight can be reduced to 2 inches and let the length fall where it may.  The only "critical" dimension is the height.
Thank you. 
Guy

Gregor77

Let me confirm which ones.. I feel its the single black I need.

Mike_Kilo

@GuyOReilly

I have the Aerobat lettering finalized in my graphics program.  If you would like to see a proof, please provide me with an email address and I will send you the image.
For price, I think $10 total, does that sound reasonable?

Just need a couple details before we move to cutting the decals.
1. All of the letters are the same height except for the "t".  Would you like me to make the decal so the "t" is exactly 2.00 inches tall, or should I make the rest of the letters 2.00 inches tall, and let the "t" be a bit taller?
2. The lettering is slanted to the right, (italic style). Do you want both decals slated to the right, or would you like one flipped and slanted to the left?

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 22, 2020, 04:49:08 PM
@GuyOReilly

I have the Aerobat lettering finalized in my graphics program.  If you would like to see a proof, please provide me with an email address and I will send you the image.
For price, I think $10 total, does that sound reasonable?

Just need a couple details before we move to cutting the decals.
1. All of the letters are the same height except for the "t".  Would you like me to make the decal so the "t" is exactly 2.00 inches tall, or should I make the rest of the letters 2.00 inches tall, and let the "t" be a bit taller?
2. The lettering is slanted to the right, (italic style). Do you want both decals slated to the right, or would you like one flipped and slanted to the left?

@Mike_Kilo Thank you.
The letter "T" can be the 2 inch mark, the others smaller.
The italics should be identically slanted.
My email address is [email protected]
Price is FANTASTIC!!!
Let me know if you prefer cash or etransfer.
Thank you!

GuyOReilly

@Mike_Kilo  here is a picture of the sticker added to my plane.  They look amazing!
Thank you.
Guy