Challenge me! ANY BALSA KITS FOR SALE???

Started by Frank v B, October 13, 2020, 10:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I need a Covid build challenge for this winter.

Does anyone have a balsa kit that has been lying around your shop for a few years that you may never get to build?  I would be happy to buy it and build it.
Preference for a motor size from .10 to .46.  Scale planes preferred.  Just no trainers and no quarter scale Wright Flyers!   ;)
Please check your shop and surprise me.  Turn that box of balsa into cash.

Even if the kit is missing a few pieces.  As long as it has plans.

I so miss the London Swap meet.  There were always some unexpected finds.  Glenn and I would always buy something unexpected and compare notes over lunch.

Frank

Notice I am willing to pay for it.  Andy only comes alive when something is offered free like Guy's P-51 radio and Crash's free 72 meg radio. :D
"Never trade luck for skill"

bfeist

I have the plans and a whole bunch of wood for the Skywriter winter build project a few years ago. My enthusiasm wasn't matched with actually spending any time building the plane. Happy to give you all of it for a very reasonable price.

Ben

Frank v B

Ben,

I have built the Skywriter and it is still flying.  Flew it twice this year.
Building it again would seem like punishment.  :P   Honest, I have tried my best to be a good boy this year. ;)
If you are trying to get rid of the balsa for a reasonable price, I will bite.  Then the project can be any of the 200 plans I have. 

An option.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 13, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
I need a Covid build challenge for this winter.

Does anyone have a balsa kit that has been lying around your shop for a few years that you may never get to build?  I would be happy to buy it and build it.
Preference for a motor size from .10 to .46.  Scale planes preferred.  Just no trainers and no quarter scale Wright Flyers!   ;)
Please check your shop and surprise me.  Turn that box of balsa into cash.

Even if the kit is missing a few pieces.  As long as it has plans.

I so miss the London Swap meet.  There were always some unexpected finds.  Glenn and I would always buy something unexpected and compare notes over lunch.

Frank

Notice I am willing to pay for it.  Andy only comes alive when something is offered free like Guy's P-51 radio and Crash's free 72 meg radio. :D

Can you sense that @Frank v B is feeling that the supremacy of his prized collection of vintage 72 MHz TX's is being threatened?!  8)

Many thanks to @GuyOReilly and @Crash for their generous contributions in helping me out in this pursuit!!

Andy

GuyOReilly

@Andy Hoffer , I sent you a message... Also, I found 2 very old Futaba servos for your collection.

Frank v B

In case you were wondering about Ben's comment on the Skywriter.  Here is a photo of Bill Quantock (aka Wingnutz) with his Skywriter.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 19, 2020, 10:54:40 PM
In case you were wondering about Ben's comment on the Skywriter.  Here is a photo of Bill Quantock (aka Wingnutz) with his Skywriter.

Frank

For those without a scanning electron microscope at hand, here's what @Frank v B was trying to show you!  Notice the use of fill flash!! ;D

Andy

Condor13

I have a Golden Oldey. Designed  and flown pre WW 2

FLYING QUAKER 84"

A full kit with instructions and plans for this very old design. It is huge.
All the balsa needed, many shaped parts. This will keep you going until Covid is long forgotten.

Google "Flying Quaker 84" for lots of info and You Tube

John. 416 830 0858

Condor13

Flying Quaker 84"

The design dates from 1935 which makes it two years younger than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBoTDbS_zc4

Frank v B

Dr. John,

Intriguing project.  I can hear the wood delivery truck rumbling down the street. ;D

Frank

Condor13

Frank v B

BJ,

Glad you took it.  I couldn't figure out how to store a behemoth like that without being visible among the other planes.  Hiding in plain sight is not possible in my house with a plane this size.

Happy building.

Frank

BJROB

Hey @Frank v B  its not that big right now. Its a box like you'd get a plane shipped in, just half the width
I did open the full sized plans.... I didn't have a place big enough except the kitchen floor.... lol
Any guess where I'm building it.... when my Bride  is not home.....😬
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Spanky

Hi Frank. I guess I'm like you, looking for a balsa all wood kit to build this winter. For me though, it would have to be a trainer and preferably something rather vintage looking preferred. I started out looking for the Buzzard Bombshell, but anything similar to that kind of plane is fine. I don't want a monster, but something in the 48-55 inch wingspan, and I thought I'd try an electric powered plane [my first time] rather than the usual gas powered. I've been out of building and flying for many years, so I need to edge back in with a trainer and something easy to fly. I'll have to learn about electric powerplants and get a new radio. Who knew the hobby shifted so much in my absence and finding a balsa kit is near impossible!

Frank v B

Mr. "Spanky",

Welcome back to the hobby!

I will look out for an appropriate kit for you.  When it comes to electrifying an old gas kit we will surely help you.  One thing is for sure, if you ask 10 people for an opinion we will guarantee you at least a dozen solutions.

;D

Frank