New Spektrum Radio NX6 NX8 and NX10

Started by Oscar, October 15, 2020, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

I expect there will be a LOT of drooling going on at the field!  ;D

Thanks @Oscar !

Andy

VadimKirillov

That is nice. Horizon does not sit on their butts during lockdown. lets see the prices..

Mike_Kilo

Damn are these new radios ugly. At least I think so. I think they are trying to make them look rugged, like their surface radios.

Glad to see USB charging/USB sim connection (albeit a soon obsolete micro USB connector), Hall Effect gimbals and folding antenna.
The magnetic charging adapter is cool, but it's just a third party product you can buy and add to any USB device. Perhaps they are using the old micro connector because they found a good bulk price on micro USB magnetic adapters.

The colour display is nice I guess, but the menus just look like a colourized version of the current B&W ones, not really taking advantage of having colour.  Also, you are still using a scroll wheel and buttons to navigate.

I think they should have left out the WIFI, and put a touchscreen in instead. The WIFI is gimmicky to me.  But hey, I like setting up my models from scratch in the radio, not downloading a setup and hoping it works for me. Also, how often do you update firmware really? Just use the SD card.

The serial output is also nice, but if I ever get TBS Crossfire or IRC Ghost, I'll buy a radio with a module bay like the Radiomaster TX16s. I don't like the idea of a module stuck to the back of my radio with velcro. (Not very modular.)

Plus the Radiomaster has all features I like (USB, Hall effect, folding antenna), as well as a touchscreen and openTX. (Also it isn't ugly ;D) (Also, also it uses modern USB C connectors  ;))

Good to see they are keeping at it, but I won't be upgrading my trusty DX9 anytime soon, especially since I recently dropped $70 on the wireless sim dongle (totally worth it though, your planes are wireless, shouldn't your sim be too?).

Oscar

For me, NX10 will be better choice.  However, I do have few concerns on the NX series

1) With WiFi, Color screen, how well the battery can hold.  My DX9 only charge once a week (usage: each day fly for approx 3 hours)
2) Volume - How loud and how well the speaker can produce the output
3) RF Performance - Will the new RF module play nicely with the big Microcell tower behind us.  Or those who fly indoors, will it cause any issue (sidenote: iX12 has issue for indoor flying)
4) I have few planes using DSM2 RX.  Will the new RF module backward compatible?
5) MIssing Slider in NX10.  This will be inconvenice.
6) Training pot - The NX series does not come with wired training module.  (Wireless only).  You have to pay for the wired training module. 

Hopefully HH will address those questions.

bfeist

I just want to know why Spektrum is obsessed with the letter X.

Oscar

Its a 'nerd' thing.   ;D

Xbase
X-Windows
Linux
Citrix
Mac OS X
x86
X-Men
XOXO
Lexus

mawz

Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 15, 2020, 04:18:31 PM
Damn are these new radios ugly. At least I think so. I think they are trying to make them look rugged, like their surface radios.

Glad to see USB charging/USB sim connection (albeit a soon obsolete micro USB connector), Hall Effect gimbals and folding antenna.
The magnetic charging adapter is cool, but it's just a third party product you can buy and add to any USB device. Perhaps they are using the old micro connector because they found a good bulk price on micro USB magnetic adapters.

The colour display is nice I guess, but the menus just look like a colourized version of the current B&W ones, not really taking advantage of having colour.  Also, you are still using a scroll wheel and buttons to navigate.

That's deliberate, these are the next-generation radio for the DX user, folks wanting a shinier UI already have the iX series while not changing what didn't need changing

I think they should have left out the WIFI, and put a touchscreen in instead. The WIFI is gimmicky to me.  But hey, I like setting up my models from scratch in the radio, not downloading a setup and hoping it works for me. Also, how often do you update firmware really? Just use the SD card.

They already did that in the iX series. The NX series are very deliberately targeted at the users on a budget and/or who want a more traditional radio experience than the iX series provides.

The serial output is also nice, but if I ever get TBS Crossfire or IRC Ghost, I'll buy a radio with a module bay like the Radiomaster TX16s. I don't like the idea of a module stuck to the back of my radio with velcro. (Not very modular.)

The radios feature a 4 screw mount to allow use of external modules with a secure mount. Brackets for JR style modules are available on Thingiverse as the mount is shared with the iX series. I'm thinking of doing one that will accept a JR FM module and features an antenna mount just so I can fly 72MHz alongside Frank and Andy ;-)  (Actually, might do that on my iX12 as well)

Plus the Radiomaster has all features I like (USB, Hall effect, folding antenna), as well as a touchscreen and openTX. (Also it isn't ugly ;D) (Also, also it uses modern USB C connectors  ;))

The Spectrum radios have a much more robust folding antenna setup, the Radiomaster is using the much easier to break rubber ducky antennas. Plus when folded the Spektrum units are not exposed so less likely to break in the bag (which is where you're most likely to break things). Agreed on the USB connectors and I've already pointed that out to Spektrum's engineers (I'm friendly with Andy Kunz, the lead Airware developer).

Note the Spektrum units are ISED approved, unlike any of the MPM radios (while often ignored, FCC approval does not actually mean a radio is legal to use in Canada, Industry Canada wants its cut and while you can use FCC testing for approval, the paperwork has to be submitted to ISED and a fee paid). Main issue there is for Insurance, you're not likely to get dinged by TC for flying a FCC radio, but Insurance adjusters are out to deny claims and if they figure out your radio doesn't have all the correct paperwork approvals IC wants, they could use that to deny a claim. 

Good to see they are keeping at it, but I won't be upgrading my trusty DX9 anytime soon, especially since I recently dropped $70 on the wireless sim dongle (totally worth it though, your planes are wireless, shouldn't your sim be too?).

It will be a while before there's capability on the new radios at the same level as the DX9 that drive an upgrade. The NX and iX series allow for future growth but only the iX20 really offers features that a DX radio can't do today, the DX series are largely tapped out in terms of ability to accept new feature adds.

Personally, there is an NX in my future, but it will be largely as a backup to my iX12.

Mike_Kilo

Been looking at some product photos, seems the wired trainer port is gone.  Frank won't be happy ;). I know you can probably buy an adapter like you can for the iX series, but that's just one more potential cost and complication for newbies.
Personally I don't have any problems with the DSMX style wireless trainer, but I know some people definitely prefer the wired trainer. Also seems like they have gone to a soft power switch. That's neither here nor there, just an observation.

Just so we are all on the same page, I am playing devils advocate and deliberately looking for things I don't like or I think could be flaws.  I like Spektrum products, and there customer support is great.  I've flown with a DX6i and more recently I fly with a DX9 and can't say I have had any major problems.  I do think they have rested on their laurels a bit recently, letting other companies drive some of the recent innovations, and are now playing catch up. I think this is because there main market is Airplane folks, and the drone and FPV sector has been driving most of the recent innovation. Frsky has had that market locked down, with others like Jumper, TBS and IRC also making products primarily targeted at that growing sector. Again, this is just my take on things from what I have read and seen.  I could be wrong.

QuoteThey already did that in the iX series. The NX series are very deliberately targeted at the users on a budget and/or who want a more traditional radio experience than the iX series provides.
I am not an electronics engineer or product designer, but I feel like we live in age where adding a touchscreen to a device won't drive its price up that radically. (The Radiomaster has larger, multitouch capable screen, and its not $900) It's not like they are niche commodities. Also, I feel a touchscreen isn't a luxury feature these days.  I would leave out WIFI (in my opinion a more luxury/gimmicky feature) and save a couple bucks there. But hey, I could be way off base here.

QuoteThat's deliberate, these are the next-generation radio for the DX user, folks wanting a shinier UI already have the iX series while not changing what didn't need changing
I think a next generation radio should have at least a current generation UI ;).  I think my biggest issue with the UI is something I saw in the video.  At timestamp 3:08, I saw that the low res model type icons are exactly the same, just coloured. A nice orange low res multirotor icon, exactly the same as the black one on my DX9. Kinda made me laugh. All the text looks cleaner, so that's a plus I guess, but a lot of the UI appears to still be black and white . I would assume these colour screens are much higher resolution than the DX series monochrome screens, so why not make a UI that takes advantage of the colour and resolution? I like clean and simple UIs, and I know its not supposed to compete with the iX12, but come on, lets bring it into the 21st century.

QuoteThe radios feature a 4 screw mount to allow use of external modules with a secure mount. Brackets for JR style modules are available on Thingiverse as the mount is shared with the iX series. I'm thinking of doing one that will accept a JR FM module and features an antenna mount just so I can fly 72MHz alongside Frank and Andy ;-)  (Actually, might do that on my iX12 as well)
Yes, this is one solution, but it requires that you have access to a 3D printer, as well as the time, skill and costs required to use it. A lot of people, especially beginners don't have the access.  Also, it still has the module hanging off the back of the radio.  I like the more compact and streamlined internal bay you can get with other radios, and the fact is built in, not something you need to add yourself.  If they are adding a folding antenna to make it more compact and backpack friendly, why not go the whole 9-yards and integrate a module bay.  I do like your idea of adding an FM module to a modern radio :).

QuoteThe Spectrum radios have a much more robust folding antenna setup, the Radiomaster is using the much easier to break rubber ducky antennas. Plus when folded the Spektrum units are not exposed so less likely to break in the bag (which is where you're most likely to break things). Agreed on the USB connectors and I've already pointed that out to Spektrum's engineers (I'm friendly with Andy Kunz, the lead Airware developer).

Note the Spektrum units are ISED approved, unlike any of the MPM radios (while often ignored, FCC approval does not actually mean a radio is legal to use in Canada, Industry Canada wants its cut and while you can use FCC testing for approval, the paperwork has to be submitted to ISED and a fee paid). Main issue there is for Insurance, you're not likely to get dinged by TC for flying a FCC radio, but Insurance adjusters are out to deny claims and if they figure out your radio doesn't have all the correct paperwork approvals IC wants, they could use that to deny a claim.
Agreed on the robustness of the antenna, duckies are not super strong. And likely the NX line is overall a better build quality than the Radiomaster.
If I end up getting a Radiomaster, I would likely rarely use the built in MPM.  I would use it for crossfire or ghost. I would hope that crossfire and ghost modules are legal in Canada, and that using them with a Radiomaster wouldn't make them illegal, but I do not know. I would use the internal MPM for small Frsky BNF drones, and I don't think my Tiny Whoop is ever going to leave me liable for damages. I would keep my DX9 to fly planes or the occasional Spektrum RX'd drone.

I am planning on getting more into drones and FPV, and I will likely get a Radiomaster, as you can't beat the value. I would be leaving the more important RF module to TBS or IRC to design and manufacture.  If you can buy a drone with included RX, Frsky is always available, and a lot of the time no Spektrum options is available. When it is, a lot of the time it is the older DSM2. So having the built in MPM will save me from having to worry about what RX is available when I buy something. It will also allow me to use the older Frsky D8 protocol, which modern Frsky radios are incompatible with.  Spektrum still just doesn't seem like the best option for this segment of the hobby.

I'm not saying I would never buy an NX radio, but only if my DX9 bites the dust and I don't feel like springing for an iX.  I know the DX line is at the end of of its upgradability, but my DX9 was just fine on its factory firmware.  The updates have not added features I have used.  Personally I think it would be overkill for a backup radio, as my current perfectly functional backup is a DX6i. Does all I need to fly planes. I would miss the voice alerts and more powerful programming abilities, but it still works.

Andy Hoffer

Great critique @Mike_Kilo .  Very thoughtful information and insights for those considering an upgrade.

I am so glad I have kept and still use all my dual-conversion 72 MHz radios (Futaba T6XA's), along with my 2.4 GHz "rubber duckies" (Futaba 7C and Spektrum DX8).  I love the absence of gratuitous telemetry.  It makes me pay attention to the performance of my plane as the ultimate indicator of my battery condition and remaining flight time.  And I don't have to listen to some synthetic robo-voice disrupting my concentration or flashing displays interrupt8ing my train of thought.  My count-down timer is more than enough!  ANd line of sight is most effective at telling me where my plane is!!  8)

A Cessna 172S and occasionally a Pitts Special S2A give me all the FPV I need.  :D

Andy