New Build- AT 6 Texan- original for speed 400- 32" span

Started by Frank v B, October 18, 2020, 09:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Have decided that....until a kit comes out of someone's archaeological dig in their workshop.... I will start building the Nick Ziroli AT 6 Texan originally designed for speed 400.  It has a 32" wingspan. Am digging around for retracts to see if they are an option.

I have the full size plans and magazine write-up.  They came from "Good Looking" Ken Ross.  The plans were published in the Backyard Flyer in 2002.

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/at-6-texan/#visitor_pref_pop

Will start the build before deciding on the power plant and whether to use retracts or not.  Live dangerously.

Will do it in the Warplane Heritage livery.  Photos below...if I can manage to paste it into this post. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

Zirolli builds are pretty good... cant wait to see this materialize..

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 18, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
Have decided that....until a kit comes out of someone's archaeological dig in their workshop.... I will start building the Nick Ziroli AT 6 Texan originally designed for speed 400.  It has a 32" wingspan. Am digging around for retracts to see if they are an option.

I have the full size plans and magazine write-up.  They came from "Good Looking" Ken Ross.  The plans were published in the Backyard Flyer in 2002.

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/at-6-texan/#visitor_pref_pop

Will start the build before deciding on the power plant and whether to use retracts or not.  Live dangerously.

Will do it in the Warplane Heritage livery.  Photo below...if I can manage to paste it into this post. :D

Frank

Can't wait to see @Frank v B 's photos (see above)  in high "fill-the-screen" (900 kB) resolution.   8)

Handy Offer

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Let's make some dust!!

Step 1- glue the drawings of the formers onto the wood.  I used a glue stick.  F1 is on plywood.  For those sharp-eyed old timers... the plywood came from the lite ply fuse side from the Goldberg Eagle 2 kit.

Step 2- take out a new #11 blade.  Nothing more frustrating than ripping wood with a dull knife.  The white box contains 100 blades.

Step 3- start cutting.  Notice- I do not cut out the centres.  It weakens the formers and causes them to break when assembling the fuse.  This was important for the old brushed days when weight was so critical.  Not now.  Lots of power choices.

Best done in front of the TV.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

@Hey @Frank v B ,

I like the "before crash" and "after crash" (seedlings) photo of the formers.  Actually, the field has been ploughed so you can plant the seedlings now before freeze up so your winter planes will be ready for the New Years Day fun fly!  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: your comment  "the field has been ploughed so you can plant the seedlings now"

Since you are an expert at "planting" please show me how to "plant the seedlings now".
Step by step please. :D

F.

Andy Hoffer

Gladly @Frank v B.

Just dump 2 gallons of triple mix soil into your washing machine, add the seedling mixture, put the machine on the hand wash setting (for gentle mixing - you don't want to break the tender shoots),and  run the full cycle, with the drain line diverted to your clay pot.  Once the cycle is done (if Cynthia hasn't discovered what you're doing!), your homogenized seedling mix will be ready for dispersal at the field.  It will be thoroughly mixed within a perfect substrate and you won't have to water it.  8)

My family homesteaded in Hoffer, Saskatchewan, so I know whereof I speak!

Andy