Freewing T-33 EDF model review, by request

Started by Michael, October 27, 2020, 04:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I received this request/message from Oscar:

Hello Michael,

I know you bought the FW T-33.  I am interested too.  I wonder, may I ask you for the flight review please?  What's the characteristic on this plane, and comparing with Yak-130 70mm and the FMS BaeHawk 80mm?  What brand and weight the battery do you use and how much of throw in Aileron/Elevator/Rudder do you set (some is more sensitive than others).  And lastly, is it a heavy plane and how it's landing character (floaty / hot landing / landing gear strength etc).

Maybe to post it in TEMAC so others may benefit too?  Otherwise, you can just reply to here.

Greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Oscar

I did buy and fly the Freewing T-33. It was fairly easy to assemble, and relatively easy to fly (for someone who has flown EDF jet models before).

Assembly was mostly straight forward, but it was difficult to get some of the screw sockets lined up properly, but I got it done. The model also has a "blue box" for circuitry, which has caused problems for me before on by Bronco (also from Freewing). I had to bypass the rudder and steering servos with a Y connector, and that worked out fine.

The maiden flight was excellent. Takeoff was straight, flight speed was reasonable, and landings have been fairly easy to flare and land on mains first. I found the low rate ailerons much too sensitive, and reduced them to suit my flying style. Rolls are now slow-to-medium speed.

The model is relatively very quiet. It is stable, and easy to see in the air.

The landing gear is all of the "trailing-link" type, so landing and taxiing, even in grass, is easy. I did rip out a main gear while taxiing over the ruts at the north end of the field. It required a simple epoxy fix. Comments on RCGroups report that the main landing gear came out on other models too, suggesting that the manufacturer didn't use enough glue.

Overall, I'd rate this plane at 8.5 to 9 out of 10, equal, at least, to the best EDF models I've ever flown.

I've now had about 7 flights with it.

Michael

sihinch

Nice review. Thanks for writing it up. And great idea to suggesting posting it on here, Oscar!

Oscar

Michael

I fly everything on low rates (ailerons a bit lower). The plane flies 'light'; it's nimble.

Landings are nice, as the plane comes in and flares nicely with throttle and elevator.
Michael