Which Covid project would drive me nuttier this winter? Your choice !!

Started by Frank v B, November 16, 2020, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I have two kits.  I bought them for $20 each at Swap meets. (London, Kitchener)  They retail for $100 each now.

Either would drive me insane...which could make it a great winter project, especially with a Covid shut-down looming.

It would be twin e-powered, full landing gear, plug-in wings (for storage).  The finished project will fly.

Which one should I build?  The B-25 or the DC-3.

Give me your creative reasons which one I should build.  Andy cannot post until 48 hours after the last post.... since he will have the final say anyways... as always. ;) ;)

Frank (victim with a grin)
"Never trade luck for skill"

msatin

The B-25 (I want to see the turret rotate)

On the other hand a box of Timbits says Frank builds both  ;D
You never fail until you stop trying

GuyOReilly

The DC3, but in the Buffalo Airways colours.
With a Joe McBryan at the controls!  ;D
For inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOi2KcX88F0

Or the B-25, in the colours used in the movie Catch 22, with Yossarian at the controls.  :o
For inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTxRZR5j47c

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

sihinch

The B-25....to prove you can do the nose observer glazing without getting glue on it! 😂

Andy Hoffer

@sihinch is absolutely spot on.  No question @Frank v B must do the B-25, for a whole host of reasons.  Off the top:

1.  To see if Frank can spell "Ma and Pa" in Dutch (hint: "Ma en Pa").
2.  To see if Frank can count to 11 (the number of victory mission markings on the fuse) without switching to his toes when he uses up all of his fingers.
3.  To see Frank faithfully reproduce the flak camo.  Actually this is a slam dunk for Frank - I've seen his painter pants!
4.  To see Frank pack 200 watts into each nacelle on a 26-1/2" wing span.
5.  To see how many landings (or take-offs for that matter) the belly radio loop antenna lasts (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwii-loop-lp-21-loop-antenna-aircraft-1855431147)!
6.  To see how many 1:32 scale details Frank can pack in (https://warbirdsofglory.org/design.asp).
7.  To see if Frank discovers the macro feature on his camera for photographing  the details in #6 for his build thread.
8.  To see a B-25 trailing a 72 MHz antenna wire!

I could go on, but it might give Frank another blood clot, and I so want to see him finish this instead of me finishing him, which would be a terrible loss of entertainment value for TEMAC!  8)

Andy

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 16, 2020, 08:46:32 PM
I have two kits.  I bought them for $20 each at Swap meets. (London, Kitchener)  They retail for $100 each now.

Either would drive me insane...which could make it a great winter project, especially with a Covid shut-down looming.

It would be twin e-powered, full landing gear, plug-in wings (for storage).  The finished project will fly.

Which one should I build?  The B-25 or the DC-3.

Give me your creative reasons which one I should build.  Andy cannot post until 48 hours after the last post.... since he will have the final say anyways... as always. ;) ;)

Frank (victim with a grin)

(Bait, bait, bait.  Always with the bait........) Good luck with THAT @Frank v B !!

Andy

Frank v B

I want a project to keep me busy.  You guys are trying to find ways to kill me!! especially my good friend Greg with his "why not build both?" comment.

Of course you know that when I start I will keep going and Covid will not have left town yet so there is a good chance I will do both.  The main question is: do I order two or four motors?

Notice how Andy could not follow instructions on the 48 hours issue. Sooo predictable.

Frank

ps: rotating turret.  Insanity.  ;)

Frank v B

I did some research on both conversions to RC and they strongly suggest adding wing area (span and chord).  Knowing my flying disabilities I will take their advice. 8) 8)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 17, 2020, 04:43:20 PM
I want a project to keep me busy.  You guys are trying to find ways to kill me!! especially my good friend Greg with his "why not build both?" comment.

Of course you know that when I start I will keep going and Covid will not have left town yet so there is a good chance I will do both.  The main question is: do I order two or four motors?

Notice how Andy could not follow instructions on the 48 hours issue. Sooo predictable.

Frank

ps: rotating turret.  Insanity.  ;)

Since @frank has elected to invoke the "issue" word, I needs must take issue with the postulate that "Andy cannot post until 48 hours after the last post."  The choice of "cannot" implies that I am not able to post until 48 hours after the last post.  This, of course, is nonsense.  I am quite capable of posting at any time, day or night.  Of course, had Frank used "may not", implying a prohibition on my publishing activities, I would have offered a more poignant and flavourful response.  8)

Andy "Roget" Hoffer

Frank v B

re: Andy's "The choice of "cannot" implies that I am not able to post until 48 hours after the last post." 

So much for my attempt at subtlety and politeness.  How about:
- should not
- will not
- need not
- NFW
- shut-up
- buzz off
- get lost  (..in the beans of course)
- sit on your hands for 48 hours
- etc.  (you guys add) ;D

Frank ;)

Frank v B

Decision made:  I will start with the B-25 and will start on the weekend.

Approach:
- build the fuse first to see how much room the fuse has for batteries and the radio
- build the wing per plan but move each rib outboard one position so one wing bay is added to each wing half (1.5"). Add two new ribs in the center.  That will increase the span 3" wider from 26.5" to 29.5".  I may attempt to add a wider chord to the wing-tips for stability.  As well, lots of wash-out for safety.
- make each wingtip plug in outboard of the engine nacelles.  Permanently attach the motors/wing centres/nacelles to the fuselage.
- leave decision on the motors until the bones are built, then do the weight calculations and decide on the motors.  Prop diameter will help determine the motor as well.
- diplomatically build in all the requests (Simon's turret, Andy baling out of the bomb bay doors, etc.)

Fingers crossed

Frank

ps: this is my last entry on this subject.  It will be the first one on the build post.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 17, 2020, 09:29:07 PM
re: Andy's "The choice of "cannot" implies that I am not able to post until 48 hours after the last post." 

So much for my attempt at subtlety and politeness.  How about:
- should not
- will not
- need not
- NFW
- shut-up
- buzz off
- get lost  (..in the beans of course)
- sit on your hands for 48 hours
- etc.  (you guys add) ;D

Frank ;)

@Frank v B reminds me of Dr. Seuss!!  :D