Building the Guillows B-25 (26.5" span, now 31") with RC and brushless motors.

Started by Frank v B, November 17, 2020, 10:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Decision made:  I will start with the B-25 and will start on the weekend.

Approach:
- build the fuse first to see how much room the fuse has for batteries and the radio
- build the wing per plan but move each rib outboard one position so one wing bay is added to each wing half (1.5"). Add two new ribs in the center.  That will increase the span 3" wider from 26.5" to 29.5".  I may attempt to add a wider chord to the wing-tips for stability.  As well, lots of wash-out for safety.
- make each wingtip plug in outboard of the engine nacelles.  Permanently attach the motors/wing centres/nacelles to the fuselage.
- leave decision on the motors until the bones are built, then do the weight calculations and decide on the motors.  Prop diameter will help determine the motor as well.
- diplomatically build in all the requests (Simon's turret, Andy baling out of the bomb bay doors, etc.)

Fingers crossed

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Opened the box.  Need to get registered for the nuthouse!!!  This is going to be a challenge.

Ordered the motors today.  Want to try the E-flite 180's first because they are 3S-able.  This plane is not that large.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 19, 2020, 10:00:01 PM
Opened the box.  Need to get registered for the nuthouse!!!  This is going to be a challenge.

Ordered the motors today.  Want to try the E-flite 180's first because they are 3S-able.  This plane is not that large.

Frank

Don't worry @Frank v B .  Getting you registered for the nuthouse will not be a challenge!!   ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Houston.... we have a problem!!!

I started cutting and the fuse formers and then realized there are no wing ribs!!!!!!!   The balsa is missing.
The package was factory sealed yet I cannot find them anywhere.

Will have to fake it.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 20, 2020, 09:50:04 PM

I started cutting and the fuse formers and then realized there are no wing ribs!!!!!!!   The balsa is missing.

Will have to fake it.

Frank

"Warning! Warning! That does not compute!  Danger @Frank v B ! Aliens are near!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydbuH4C8QA

Frank v B

Picked up the motors yesterday from John's Hobbies.

I love these 180's because they can accept 3S to give some "More-Power" options when building.

Will start with the 180's to see if it can fly.  If it is not powerful enough I will upgrade to 280's but that starts higher wing-loading issues.

Frank

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on November 20, 2020, 09:50:04 PM
Will have to fake it.
Frank

@Frank v B do you mean "make" or "fake" it?  Airplanes do not fly well with fake wings...

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 10, 2020, 11:15:57 AM
Picked up the motors yesterday from John's Hobbies.

I love these 180's because they can accept 3S to give some "More-Power" options when building.

Will start with the 180's to see if it can fly.  If it is not powerful enough I will upgrade to 280's but that starts higher wing-loading issues.

Frank

O.M.G. @Frank v B is trying to kill me.

FOCUS! FOCUS! FOCUS!  Macro! Macro! Macro! 
  :P

Andy

Frank v B

re:  "O.M.G. Frank v B is trying to kill me. "

"Failure is not an option!!" ;D ;D

Frank

Frank v B

Guy,

re: "Frank v B do you mean "make" or "fake" it?  Airplanes do not fly well with fake wings..."

I did mean fake it.  When picking up the motor I told Roger at the hobby shop about the missing ribs.  He confirmed that the curvy part of the wing is on the top. ;D ;D  That's all I need to know to make my own wings.  I will show you how. 8)

Frank

Michael

I think twin 180s will be fine, especially if counter-rotating.
Michael

Frank v B

Let's start something...

- put all the formers on the plan to mark all the stringer cut-outs.  They are not die-crushed. (photo 110).  Also the pieces that make up the keel have been pinned down, glued and allowed to cure.
- all the formers glued in place on the keel (photo 111)

Letting it cure overnight (carpenters glue)

F.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 12, 2020, 09:41:52 PM
Let's start something...

- put all the formers on the plan to mark all the stringer cut-outs.  They are not die-crushed. (photo 110).  Also the pieces that make up the keel have been pinned down, glued and allowed to cure.
- all the formers glued in place on the keel (photo 111)

Letting it cure overnight (carpenters glue)

F.

@Frank v B's very clever cover for the real (morse code) message:  "Andy keep out!"    :D 

Frank v B

A flat half of a fuselage is now round....ish.

F.

Andy Hoffer

Notice @Frank v B  muttering to himself in Morse code in the box of pins in the top left corner of photo 3112!  8)

Andy