Field Irrigation

Started by davidk, November 24, 2020, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

I'm going to be at the field on Saturday around noon to dig out the irrigation trenches along the roadway a bit.

I'm going to bring a shovel, a heavy rake, and my boots.

If a few want to join in, and employ COVID-19 precautions (at least 2 shovel lengths apart, masks, no sharing equipment), then you are more than welcome.

Cheers, David

Andy Hoffer

Great idea @davidk !  Count me in.

I have no choice but to be there in case @Frank v B shows up.  He can be really scary when he has garden tools (or any tools for that matter) in his hands, especially when he starts cursing the weeds in Dutch.  There's no telling what he might do with his sawzall!  I feel it is my duty to ensure that he shows the proper respect for the riparian ecosystem of which we have custody.   ;D

Thanks for organizing.  See you Saturday.

Andy

msatin

There is a slim possibility I will need to be out of town.
Barring that, I will be there.
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

What!!  Water?   I'll be there!!!!   ;D ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on November 24, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
I'm going to be at the field on Saturday around noon to dig out the irrigation trenches along the roadway a bit.

I'm going to bring a shovel, a heavy rake, and my boots.

If a few want to join in, and employ COVID-19 precautions (at least 2 shovel lengths apart, masks, no sharing equipment), then you are more than welcome.

Cheers, David

I believe this is code for, "If you guys don't help me grub out the drainage channels and the stream bed to the west of our driveway and parking lot, there will be a LOT of standing or very slow draining water on said driveway come spring thaw.  This may impede your access to the parking lot in the spring.   That will mean extra maintenance work in the spring, when you'd much rather be scratching your itch to fly."  8)

Further, @davidk has knocked his butt off this year trying to keep our ratty old runway functional in the face of COVID restrictions which have prevented outright replacement of the runway.  I think it behooves us to demonstrate our collective appreciation by showing up for drainage maintenance duty on Saturday.  Bring your own rakes, hoes, shovels, cultivators and rakes, and of course, heavy rubber boots (and a change of socks!).  Anyone with a backhoe is welcome to bring it!  ;D

@Frank v B will be there to provide comic relief for this whole transaction.  THAT alone is worth the price of admission!!

Thanks again Dave.

Andy

davidk

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on November 24, 2020, 04:36:35 PM

I have no choice but to be there in case @Frank v B shows up.  He can be really scary when he has garden tools (or any tools for that matter) in his hands, especially when he starts cursing the weeds in Dutch.  There's no telling what he might do with his sawzall!  I feel it is my duty to ensure that he shows the proper respect for the riparian ecosystem of which we have custody.   ;D

Andy

I believe this is code for... actually... hold on... let me get out my Andy to English dictionary... it's a 12 pounder... so... ugh... ok... here it is... "No one has any idea... ever!"  Hmmm... that seems to be the only translation.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on November 24, 2020, 09:21:10 PM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on November 24, 2020, 04:36:35 PM

Andy

I believe this is code for... actually... hold on... let me get out my Andy to English dictionary... it's a 12 pounder... so... ugh... ok... here it is... "No one has any idea... ever!"  Hmmm... that seems to be the only translation.

Een dergelijke Cadet!!

Frank v B

NEWSFLASH!!!!

On the river clean-up day,  I will bring my stuff from the  "LOOK AT THE JUNK THAT FELL FROM MY TRUNK" Swapless Meet.

Please bring your goodies that you want to trade/sell/give away.  We will do this once the river has been cleared.

Bring your own table if you want to display stuff and wear a mask.

Frank

davidk

I want to make this really clear.  My original post was not code for anything.  If no one comes out that's perfectly fine.  If you're worried, in any way, about COVID-19 at the field, then please don't come.  We've had a really good, COVID-19 free, flying year so far.  I will not jeopardize our members and our field for anything.

The field will be there in the spring whether we do something or nothing.  The roadway will be there.  You will be able to drive on the driveway in the spring and park in the parking lot.  It doesn't matter if we do something or nothing.

Nothing is more important than our health and well being and peace of mind.  I'm going on Saturday so I won't be bored at home all day.  If there are more than 2 people I will wear a mask and stay away from people and demand that no one touches shovels etc. that they did not bring themselves.

Our health if more important than a bit of water on the roadway.  If we have to do a bit of extra work in the spring, so be it.  If we're not out of this pandemic, then we'll hire a bobcat to come dig some trenches for us.  There are lots of solutions that will not endanger our health.

sihinch

I will try to come out, to help!  :D

GuyOReilly

I should be there about noon for an hour or so, shovel in hand!

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on November 25, 2020, 01:06:42 AM
I want to make this really clear.  My original post was not code for anything.  If no one comes out that's perfectly fine.  If you're worried, in any way, about COVID-19 at the field, then please don't come.  We've had a really good, COVID-19 free, flying year so far.  I will not jeopardize our members and our field for anything.

The field will be there in the spring whether we do something or nothing.  The roadway will be there.  You will be able to drive on the driveway in the spring and park in the parking lot.  It doesn't matter if we do something or nothing.

Nothing is more important than our health and well being and peace of mind.  I'm going on Saturday so I won't be bored at home all day.  If there are more than 2 people I will wear a mask and stay away from people and demand that no one touches shovels etc. that they did not bring themselves.

Our health if more important than a bit of water on the roadway.  If we have to do a bit of extra work in the spring, so be it.  If we're not out of this pandemic, then we'll hire a bobcat to come dig some trenches for us.  There are lots of solutions that will not endanger our health.

Totally agree with @davidk .  Well said Sir.

Andy

davidk

Thanks to all who came out today... it was a good day and a good effort.

Thanks to Carlos for the Tim's coffee and Timbits... very welcome.

Cheers,

David

Frank v B

Look at the benefits of splashing in the river for two hours.  The rock shows the water level went down over 3".

Then the flying started.

Frank