How to make windows on a plane.

Started by Frank v B, November 30, 2020, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Rob D. was looking for a way to make the windows on his new project, the Unionville DH Beaver.  The kit came with a moulded acetate windshield.

Here is an easy way that I have used on the Unionville Noorseman, the Taylorcraft and the Stinson Voyager.

I used clear Monokote.  It is easiest on the flat side windows.  I have used it on the windshield on the Noorseman and Voyager.

Here is how:

Step 1- cover the plane until finished.  Make sure you colour the inside of the window frames with either the covering or paint.
Step 2- Lay a piece of blank paper over top of the windows and trace the window outline.  Trick- shine a light inside the fuse and the window outline will be very visible.  I used one piece of Monokote for the side windows on each side.
Step 3- add 3/32" to the outline of the window(s) to take care of the overlap.  Carefully cut it out.
Step 4- with very low heat on your iron, gently attach the 3/32" overlap at each window(s) on the outside of the fuse covering.  The gentle heat will start the glue without shrinking the covering. Slowly increase the heat as you go around the perimeter so the bond is perfect.  Shrink the window covering, preferably with a heat gun.

It takes 5 minutes per side.

The photo shows the finished product on the Stinson Voyager. 

Frank

Note to Andy- I took several pictures until I got glare to make the window visible. ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Hi @frank,

I know you have a love/hate thing with computers and technology and all, but if you want to make windows on a plane why don't you just print a few of these and stick them on with wood glue?

Andy

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on December 02, 2020, 08:16:27 AM
Now that's almost funny, Andy!

@sihinch you are so right! 

Now THIS is funny!!!

Andy

Skyking

Actually, I can.

Skyking

I liked the article Frank. I'm sure some members will be able to use the info. Thanks.
Actually, I can.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on November 30, 2020, 09:21:56 PM
Rob D. was looking for a way to make the windows on his new project, the Unionville DH Beaver.  The kit came with a moulded acetate windshield.

Here is an easy way that I have used on the Unionville Noorseman, the Taylorcraft and the Stinson Voyager.

I used clear Monokote.  It is easiest on the flat side windows.  I have used it on the windshield on the Noorseman and Voyager.

Here is how:

Step 1- cover the plane until finished.  Make sure you colour the inside of the window frames with either the covering or paint.
Step 2- Lay a piece of blank paper over top of the windows and trace the window outline.  Trick- shine a light inside the fuse and the window outline will be very visible.  I used one piece of Monokote for the side windows on each side.
Step 3- add 3/32" to the outline of the window(s) to take care of the overlap.  Carefully cut it out.
Step 4- with very low heat on your iron, gently attach the 3/32" overlap at each window(s) on the outside of the fuse covering.  The gentle heat will start the glue without shrinking the covering. Slowly increase the heat as you go around the perimeter so the bond is perfect.  Shrink the window covering, preferably with a heat gun.

It takes 5 minutes per side.

The photo shows the finished product on the Stinson Voyager. 

Frank

Note to Andy- I took several pictures until I got glare to make the window visible. ;D

@Frank v B .

Your glare is perfect!  :D

Andy