Recent posts

Building / Construction / Re: Frank's Bill Evans Scimita...
Last post by Frank v B - Yesterday at 11:19:00 PM
Hinging a larger airplane.

I prefer plastic hinges with hinge pins.  I modify them so they are removable.  The bent pins are just temporary.  Will show you later how I install them permanently but so they are still removable in case of a re-build.

Steps
1) Cut off one end of the hinge pin and pull it out. Photo 00
2) Take a straight pin and bend an angle into the ball end and insert it into the hinge.  Photo 01, 02
3) sand the flat plastic portion of the hinge on both sides of the hinge, top and bottom.  Purpose is to rough it up to remove mould release and add bite to the glue.
4) mix epoxy and put some on the hinge slot.  I push it into the slot with the back (dull) end of a used #11 blade. Photo 03
5) add a drop of oil (or wipe on vaseline) on the hinge at the hinge pin to stop epoxy from sticking to the hinge pin area.  Wipe off excess oil without spreading it onto the hinge tabs.
6) wipe epoxy onto both sides of one hinge tab and push it into the slot.  Stop pushing it before it reaches the final spot.  Wipe off the excess epoxy that builds up on both sides before it hits the hinge pin area. Photo 04
7) push it fully into the slot.  Photo 05

Objective: the hinge pins on all hinges should be accurately in line so you can pass a single piece of piano wire through all hinge pins without bending it.  If they are not in line it will bind.

F.
General Discussion / Re: Open house at YLAB Richmon...
Last post by Knightlite - March 17, 2024, 03:14:55 PM
Next Open House is March 19th, 2024 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM.

I intend to be at this one and laser cut the plywood for my Super Dimona cockpit.
Building / Construction / Re: Multiplex DG 300 Quarter s...
Last post by Michael - March 17, 2024, 11:48:39 AM
Really well done!
General Discussion / Re: Open house at YLAB Richmon...
Last post by Fisherj - March 17, 2024, 11:17:55 AM
This sounds very interesting! I too started out on Flite test models. I have moved onto designing my own (foam board) still using Flite Test build methodology. Some of my design/builds would be easier if I could make some pieces using laser cutting/3d printing......... I am very interested indeed.
Jeff
Last post by Frank v B - March 17, 2024, 11:14:40 AM
That Worked!!

Used the two clear soda bottles to make up the canopy.  The joint is in the middle of the mahogany bow.

Note the curve at the top (left) of the canopy.  It is shaped by the neck of the bottle.

love it!

frank

ps: still have to paint the wood at the edge of the canopy and properly trim the canopy edges.  Just glad it worked.
Last post by Frank v B - March 16, 2024, 10:38:32 PM
Guy, re: liking the wood colour.

Will see what it looks like tomorrow when the glue has cured. 
Your wish may come true. (less work!)

Frank
Last post by Frank v B - March 16, 2024, 10:34:58 PM
Added the rudder.

The rudder had to be installed but only when the elevator linkage was properly installed.  It comes out of the top of the fin ahead of the rudder.  The rubber band on top of the fin holds the elevator linkage in place so I don't accidentally glue it permanently shut.  This plane has a "T" tail.  Also, the rudder had to be covered in white Monokote before installation.

The whole rudder assembly had to be installed into the back of the fin which is part of the moulded fuselage.

The green tape is to squeeze the fin together to trap the plywood rudder stock inside while the glue cures.

The fuse is now essentially finished. This fuse is BIG.  From the tip of the spinner to the tip of the rudder is
5 1/2 feet!.  Bigger than the wingspan on 90% of my planes.

Will build the DG 300 wings once the Polestar is flying.

Frank
Last post by GuyOReilly - March 16, 2024, 10:31:47 PM
Nice lamination work @Frank v B .
Personally, I like the dark wood colour.
Guy
Last post by Frank v B - March 16, 2024, 10:21:45 PM
Added the bow to the canopy so it could cure in the correct position.  When cured I will sand it and paint it white to make it disappear.

F.
Last post by Frank v B - March 15, 2024, 10:28:34 PM
Making the bow to join the two sections from the plastic bottles.

- Mixed 15 minute epoxy and thinned it with about 30% rubbing alcohol.
- Took 5 strips and coated all 5 both sides
- clamped them to one edge of the frame template and clamped them around the frame.
- letting it cure overnight.

When dry, I will cut the balsa away and Dremel it smooth until all the balsa is gone.

Frank