Recent posts

Building / Construction / Re: Multiplex DG 300 Quarter s...
Last post by GuyOReilly - March 16, 2024, 10:31:47 PM
Nice lamination work @Frank v B .
Personally, I like the dark wood colour.
Guy
Last post by Frank v B - March 16, 2024, 10:21:45 PM
Added the bow to the canopy so it could cure in the correct position.  When cured I will sand it and paint it white to make it disappear.

F.
Last post by Frank v B - March 15, 2024, 10:28:34 PM
Making the bow to join the two sections from the plastic bottles.

- Mixed 15 minute epoxy and thinned it with about 30% rubbing alcohol.
- Took 5 strips and coated all 5 both sides
- clamped them to one edge of the frame template and clamped them around the frame.
- letting it cure overnight.

When dry, I will cut the balsa away and Dremel it smooth until all the balsa is gone.

Frank
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - March 15, 2024, 09:46:18 PM
A little "before and after" or "spot the difference."
Last post by Frank v B - March 14, 2024, 10:24:03 PM
Houston, we have a problem!

The canopy has to be 10" long and 6" wide.  Decided to build it out a plastic from a soda bottle because the neck area has a curve. 
Bought two clear 2 litre plastic bottles to build a canopy.  One to try, mess up and one to build the proper one.
The Compliments House brand uses the most useful bottle.  The label ridge is on the bottom.  Photo 46

By the time I cut off the spout and the bottom below the label ridge it was too small. Photo 49

Decided to connect two bottles so needed a way to join them.  Decided to build a bow out of thin wood strips at the joint so they are easy to curve round the balsa form.  Will use about 5-6 strips and laminate them with epoxy so the plastic can be joined with screws.  Glue makes such a mess. Photos 72,73,74,75.

Frank

ps: installed the rudder and elevator servos.  No Andy, I did not write the job descriptions beside the servos. I know how to spell.  Photo 76
Building / Construction / Great Simitar Video
Last post by msatin - March 14, 2024, 09:32:26 PM
Frank, Rob, and I have been building a Simitar PoleStar over the past month or so. This is an interesting plane for 2 reasons:
1 - It does not have an H-Stab
2 - It is very difficult to stall
Coincidentally, a kit Manufacturer I like called Old School Model Works (I have posted 2 builds from them; Minuette & Mambo) has just released a Simitar kit called a Polaris.
Here is a video of that new plane. It's really worth watching.

General Discussion / Re: Flying March 14, 2024
Last post by msatin - March 14, 2024, 04:25:28 PM
Fun Afternoon
Thanks Michael!
General Discussion / Flying March 14, 2024
Last post by Michael - March 14, 2024, 03:55:04 PM
Overcast, cool but with light wind. David, Mark, Simon C, Kenny and I came out to fly.

Kenny successfully maidened his new X-fly Sirius jet, and Mark successfully maidened his newly assembled vintage GWS Formosa.

Simon put his helicopter and plane through some amazing aerobatics, and Dave and I flew Catalinas.

Last post by sihinch - March 13, 2024, 09:49:51 PM
Super nice Guy! Hope we can patrol together!
Last post by GuyOReilly - March 13, 2024, 09:46:41 PM
Great work on the torpedoes.
Mine is ready for Sea Trials.